The "riley" Gameplan?

El Paso Eagle

I expected to see Riley used quite a bit more than I saw this past weekend. I know there are those who like to put the young man down for anything he does, but I find it hard to believe that he should not be more involved (example – am I the only one who would have liked to saw Riley throw the pass on the trick play?). I’m hoping we see more and more of Riley as the season moves on.

• Upvote 1

I think they played this one close to the vest. No need to blow our element of surprise with his packages. Clemson negated the wildcat package with their speed -- nor were we really close to winning and 10 more of his plays would make the difference.

• Upvote 1

am i the only one who assumes riley wasn't used too much so that he wasn't on film for Rice to see? is that crazy to think they wouldn't have used him at Clemson to save some of our personel packages for Rice to figure out first hand? that was my thought.

Nope, you are correct. We showed a base passing game last weekend for sure. It just looked so much like our end of last season passing game that no one noticed. Many more looks and plays to come on both sides of the ball.

I do not think Riley will be "left on the sidelines" this season. The kid can play, and play several positions. I tend to agree with the line of thinking that the game plan we saw against Clemson will not be the one we see against Rice on Saturday or for much of the season. Riley is much too valuable an athlete to not have opportunities throughout each game going forward. I, for one, look forward to seeing him play in his new "roles" for the Mean green. From every report I have heard and from multiple sources, the kid is handling this situation like a leader and a team player should.

I think we will see Riley make a difference for the Mean green this year in several games.

I think they played this one close to the vest. No need to blow our element of surprise with his packages. Clemson negated the wildcat package with their speed -- nor were we really close to winning and 10 more of his plays would make the difference.

Don't disagree that we don't want to blow the element of surprise but I too was disappointed not to see Riley more. Now he has to go into the Rice game cold. I also think that we were closer in that Clemson game than people want to admit. We shot ourselves in the foot by kicking the ball out of bounds to start the game, missing tackles in that long run for a TD, breaking a coverage in that long TD...I mean goodness, with a few more big offensive plays we could have won that game!!

Alabama - DNP

Troy - DNP

Clemson - 1 rush, 1 yard

Fragility has been...and I think will continue to be a big issue with Riley...and as much as they want to make certain to separate the two relationships, Todd is still Riley's pop and he may still be a bit more cautious with him.

If Riley plays fewer than 10 snaps against Rice I'd be surprised.

I don't want to jump the shark here or anything, but...

...do you all really think there will be a coach out there who doesn't know Riley used to be a quarterback? And, if they all know that, won't they be telling their defenses, 'Hey, when this guy #11 gets in the game, watch for a reverse or pass or cakebuilding or something.'

I just don't think using Riley every now and then will give an element of surprise. If he was a WR every down, or more downs, then maybe. But, if he's only brought in a couple of times a game, there's not going to be much of a surprise in what he does.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Alabama - DNP

Troy - DNP

Clemson - 1 rush, 1 yard

Fragility has been...and I think will continue to be a big issue with Riley...and as much as they want to make certain to separate the two relationships, Todd is still Riley's pop and he may still be a bit more cautious with him.

If Riley plays fewer than 10 snaps against Rice I'd be surprised.

Yeah I think you are right on the dot. The way I look at this case is Riley did not get much playing time to preserve him from injury. Also not to put all our cards on the table for the first game so we can leave some teams with some guess work to do during gameday.

i agree with the fact that we wanted to not allow the new riley plan to get on film just yet, its smart to hold him back and break out the new plays at home this weekend against rice....also looking forward to using our TE's this weekend to break that open....honestly though we need to use Dunbar and Hamilton as much as we can because watching that game they looking like our two best playmakers

Anyone think that the fact that NT gained over 460 yards almost entirely without Riley may have something to do with him playing so little? I certainly don't think NT was saving anything, what NT was doing in its base offense worked well. I guess one question was answered in that Dunbar good be pretty effective without Dodge directing the offense.

I look forward to seeing Riley play much more, I think he would have been effective against Clemson; but there was no real need. I think Riley will win NT some games this year.

We shot ourselves in the foot by kicking the ball out of bounds to start the game, missing tackles in that long run for a TD, breaking a coverage in that long TD.

Plus interceptions in the endzone and thrown off the back foot across the body...

I'm just saying...

• Upvote 2

Plus interceptions in the endzone and thrown off the back foot across the body...

I'm just saying...

Nathan Tune is our quarterback. Nathan Tune is our quarterback. Nathan Tune is our quarterback.

Just wanted to get that out there. And you know what, the only one who drew a comparison between him and Riley was....wait for it...you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we kept much of our offensive schemes off the table Saturday, including Riley's. Of course uless he's getting moved to defense I could care less. As it has been the past three years, our offense is the least of our worries.

By the way, Newy on channel 5's six o'clock news sports just crapped on us. Showed a highlight of tcu scoring on Oregon State and gave a drooling comment for them, show an smu running back diving over the goalline against tech along with a prop for them, then showed the second play of the clemson game and say's something like ....."and North Texas got blown out by Clemson".

Nathan Tune is our quarterback. Nathan Tune is our quarterback. Nathan Tune is our quarterback.

Just wanted to get that out there. And you know what, the only one who drew a comparison between him and Riley was....wait for it...you.

Drew no comparison, just pointed two obvious mistakes that bared mentioning with the ones listed. Did they not?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

That's why I am so excited about this team. I believe we will see lots of razzle/dazzle this year! Although, they went to Clemson to WIN, they obviously kept big plays under wraps. I predict we will see lots on Saturday! Fry Rice! (Please remember to fly the American Flag at every tailgate party).

Parks and Rec Rick

"Mean Green's Biggest Homer"---Brett Vito

I always loved Riley's value in the zone read.

Last year blew because it seemed like the only play we ran the first two games, and teams adjusted. But as a change-of-pace package, I think it could have value in this year's offense.

I was disappointed to see almost no Riley against Clemson and look forward to increased involvement as the season plays on. Starting Saturday.

• Upvote 1

I thought when Riley went in at QB we lost our momentum and then we had to take a time out due to confusion about who should be in. All in all an unsatisfactory use of Riley.

thats what I saw also....tune is the qb and a much better qb than RD....as far as Rice goes....that was just one more embaressment brought to you by TD and company. Look for our OC to be the next Head coach at UNT.

• Downvote 5

I thought when Riley went in at QB we lost our momentum and then we had to take a time out due to confusion about who should be in. All in all an unsatisfactory use of Riley.

I seriously haven't figured out why we haven't just cut Riley yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we kept much of our offensive schemes off the table Saturday, including Riley's. Of course uless he's getting moved to defense I could care less. As it has been the past three years, our offense is the least of our worries.

By the way, Newy on channel 5's six o'clock news sports just crapped on us. Showed a highlight of tcu scoring on Oregon State and gave a drooling comment for them, show an smu running back diving over the goalline against tech along with a prop for them, then showed the second play of the clemson game and say's something like ....."and North Texas got blown out by Clemson".

Ch. 4 did the same last weekend, only showed the Clemson TDs. Pretty sad when your own area media outlets beat you up.

As for the schemes and all Clemson was likewise vanilla, not wanting to show Auburn anything. It goes both ways.

Is Rice an important enough game to open the full playbook instead of waiting for conference games? I think it is....the first of "7" must begin this weekend to have a modest chance of becoming reality. :o

Edited by NT80

Agree...I saw that report from Newy and it made my blood boil. The guy obviously did not do his homework and knew absolutely NOTHING about that game. How in the world that report focused on what it did is beyond belief! I liked Newy and watched his reports fairly often...not so sure any longer. That report SUCKED and Newy came across as having an agenda. Why not show UNT scoring as they did SMU...who also lost in case Newy forgot. I think I need to let Newy know he blew it this time. I'm sure he won't care, but it just sucks! UNT EARNED a better report and some effort on Newy's part. Shame on Channel 5 for this one!