How Sad!

meangreenbob

Sportsflash! Chatter on internet forums doesn't mean crap.

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, or IUPUI, has just been invited to the Big 12 where they will split, becoming known as "Indiana's Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis" and "Purdue's Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis" (or IIUPUI and PIUPUI, respectively) and fill both vacant spots available after Nebraska and Colorado bolted.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Could it be that most people understand that the WAC is on life support if not already dead so not a viable option for UNT, while the MWC is aiming at schools with longer track records of success and even if UNT were on radar, UNT joining likely results in TCU leaving?

Doesn't leave a lot to discussion about UNT.

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, or IUPUI, has just been invited to the Big 12 where they will split, becoming known as "Indiana's Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis" and "Purdue's Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis" (or IIUPUI and PIUPUI, respectively) and fill both vacant spots available after Nebraska and Colorado bolted.

WHAT!? How'd they pass UTSA and Tx St. for those spots? Zooooom!

It is difficult to read other forums only to see UNT ignored as a possible player in the conference shakeup.

It doesn't make any sense. We are better off today than we were in 2004 and yet we are seen as a non factor.

Go figure?

Thankfully, university presidents, athletic directors and other administrators make these decisions, not yahoo's like us on the internet.

• Downvote 1

WHAT!? How'd they pass UTSA and Tx St. for those spots? Zooooom!

UTSA has been absorbed back by UT Austin...Larry Coker was named assistant special teams coach.

Texas State has been invited to the SEC to replace Florida after they dissolved their athletic department, citing low morale and the inability to sell tickets with Tim Tebow no longer in Gainesville.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Larry Coker revealed earlier today that he is retiring from coaching.

I think you may only be telling half the story though...this just in from Chip Brown:

Coker was unhappy with his demotion to assistant special teams coach...you know, considering he has more NFL players than any other coach...so he challenged Mack Brown to a knife fight, but came out on the losing end after Brown made a brave, 2005 Vince Young-esque flurry of swipes at Coker's right side...which was slowed, mid-fight, by a stroke.

Coker is in critical condition.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Don't take board talk to heart. Memory is short term for many of the posters. They see the last five years (or even less) and think that we have always been losers. They don't recall our four straight bowl appearances or remember that we have been a Top 20 team. They often aren't aware of any athletics other than football. They don't know the size and scope of our university.

Here's some of the things that we have going for us that university presidents know but most fans don't:

- We have 36,000 students

- We have the largest number of alumni in the 5th largest market

- We have more than 185,000 living graduates and far more that attended but did not graduate

- We have been a member of the highest NCAA division for 57 years, 45 at the FBS equivalent

- We are a little more than 20 miles from one of the world's busiest airports, allowing cheaper fares and easy availability

- Beginning next year, excellent football and basketball facilities and an athletic village that will soon be on par or better with any non-AQ university

- We offer 246 baccalaurate, masters, and doctors degrees at the Denton campus

- We are on a 10-year plan to become a Tier 1 research university

- There are 17 FBS universities within a 500 mile radius of Denton

The above, along with having a president that has been active in NCAA hierarchy and perhaps the top-rated consultant in college sports, I think that we are well-placed to be a "player" in the upcoming realignment. No guarantees but I like our odds.

• Upvote 3

It is difficult to read other forums only to see UNT ignored as a possible player in the conference shakeup.

It doesn't make any sense. We are better off today than we were in 2004 and yet we are seen as a non factor.

Go figure?

Painfully, in the upper echelon of the NCAA you are known by the company you've kept and for the last 30 or so years with the Southland, Big West and present company, those affiliations alone are probably the main reasons we are a non-factor; of course, coupled with the roller coaster ride we've had beginning with a well known (to some of us on this board) hastily thrown to-gether 1981 meeting in the old athletic dept. building with some UNT administrators passing the plate asking us if we wanted to keep football alive at NTSU (then our 7'th of 8 name changes which has further (somewhat) added to what some might see as instability). . A new stadium on campus in the early 80's such as the one we will have in 2011 would have probably taken us out of this "non factor" category, but for what its worth...it is what it is and we are who we are.

YET.....the other side of the coin with the instability of the entire NCAA and all this constant, non-stop "we want to be in bed with someone other than the ones we're in bed with" conference re-alignment talk, who knows where UNT stands or how it will affect our future. NO BOUT' A'DOUBT IT IS THIS FACT.......Our numbers in the market we're located with a new stadium will never be a hindrance to UNT if we can just start winning (again) against a few known schools and then going to bowls as a Top 40 ranked program (rather than Bottom 25). Of all the schools at our level, I think UNT still stands a good chance to eventually move up long term even over a Troy or MTSU--schools I'd never even heard back in my era as a student when UNT truly had a real leader with higher aspirations to improve our athletic neighborhood status and seemed to be on the way to getting it until the Big 10 & Iowa (indirectly) stole that dream away.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I read the other day on TexAgs.net that we'd be a viable replacement for Iowa St in the BIG12 North within the next 27 years. I'm just gonna wait and hope.

Can I expect to see a new conference alignment thread from you every day until then?

This board needs more conference alignment threads. One for every member.

Can I expect to see a new conference alignment thread from you every day until then?

This board needs more conference alignment threads. One for every member.

You'd be surprised how many alignment threads I've tried to start in the past. My theory is that they've added a "Shadow Moderator" responsible only for monitoring my activity. I've got thousands of ideas on realignment which simply aren't allowed to see the light of day.

:mellow:

Painfully, in the upper echelon of the NCAA you are known by the company you've kept and for the last 30 or so years with the Southland, Big West and present company, those affiliations alone are probably the main reasons we are a non-factor; of course, coupled with the roller coaster ride we've had beginning with a well known (to some of us on this board) hastily thrown to-gether 1981 meeting in the old athletic dept. building with some UNT administrators passing the plate asking us if we wanted to keep football alive at NTSU (then our 7'th of 8 name changes which has further (somewhat) added to what some might see as instability). . A new stadium on campus in the early 80's such as the one we will have in 2011 would have probably taken us out of this "non factor" category, but for what its worth...it is what it is and we are who we are.

YET.....the other side of the coin with the instability of the entire NCAA and all this constant, non-stop "we want to be in bed with someone other than the ones we're in bed with" conference re-alignment talk, who knows where UNT stands or how it will affect our future. NO BOUT' A'DOUBT IT IS THIS FACT.......Our numbers in the market we're located with a new stadium will never be a hindrance to UNT if we can just start winning (again) against a few known schools and then going to bowls as a Top 40 ranked program (rather than Bottom 25). Of all the schools at our level, I think UNT still stands a good chance to eventually move up long term even over a Troy or MTSU--schools I'd never even heard back in my era as a student when UNT truly had a real leader with higher aspirations to improve our athletic neighborhood status and seemed to be on the way to getting it until the Big 10 & Iowa (indirectly) stole that dream away.

GMG!

PS I might add in giant, colored letters that having people like Rick Villarreal & Chuck Neinas in our corner will never be a hindrance in UNT moving up the food chain. It was amazing to many of us back in the day what AD Hayden Fry could do with just a few well placed phone calls so it really was (still is) a matter of..........not what you know but ...........who you know.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think you may only be telling half the story though...this just in from Chip Brown:

Coker was unhappy with his demotion to assistant special teams coach...you know, considering he has more NFL players than any other coach...so he challenged Mack Brown to a knife fight, but came out on the losing end after Brown made a brave, 2005 Vince Young-esque flurry of swipes at Coker's right side...which was slowed, mid-fight, by a stroke.

Coker is in critical condition.

Just read on Bleacher Report:

Coker asked for a release from his coaching duties so that he could join the live music scene as a dulcimer extraordinaire. When Brown would not grant the release, Coker grabbed a replica samurai sword, swung it vigorously and wildly towards Brown, finally lacerating his own right side. Brown remained seated the whole time although conflicting reports say Deloss Dodds was seen fleeing the scene with what appeared to be a blowdart gun, or a sex toy.

Go figure?

FAU and FIU feel the same way. O wait, their teams don't have winning seasons either. UNT will only be in the mix if we can get out of 2010 with six wins. The WAC has other options, the MWC has Houston. UNT has everything but a team that is a winner. The 2010 is not a one and done year, 2011 will bring conf shake-ups as well.

I read the other day on TexAgs.net that we'd be a viable replacement for Iowa St in the BIG12 North within the next 27 years. I'm just gonna wait and hope.

Damn that's a long time. How old will I be? Let's see, 5 plus 7, carry your one....... Oh, wait! I'll be fertilizing the cemetary by then. Never mind.

• Upvote 1

Damn that's a long time. How old will I be? Let's see, 5 plus 7, carry your one....... Oh, wait! I'll be fertilizing the cemetary by then. Never mind.

I have to disagree with you Deep. I saw you Saturday and you looked good. I estimate will be around for at least 30 more years of the Belt!:D

I'm less concerned after all of this about which conference we're in and more about building a winning football program.

Johnny Jones has put together solid basketball teams for years now, getting better and better each consecutive year. What has that gotten us? The #124 recruit in the nation signed with us the other day, turning down offers from Baylor, Kansas State, Houston, Georgia, etc. Today, the #100 recruit in the nation is on campus. Why are they coming here? Because we're building a solid program and are 'oh so close' to working our way deep into the tournament and becoming "DFW's team". The conference we're in is starting to matter less and less.

We can do the same thing in football, and I think we will. Don't get me wrong, being in a conference with TCU, Houston, Rice, Tulsa, SMU, UTEP, etc would be nice. In the end, though, I just want to see us winning in football and approaching that top 25 rank. It'd lead us to the position of being able to pick and choose where we want to go instead of fighting over the scraps.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1