Why College Football Blows Away The Nfl

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/austin_murphy/08/13/college-rules/index.html?xid=Fanhouse

I don't think this article gives all the reasons, but it's a good subject.

I attended my first (and only) NFL game in 1994, between the Cowboys and the Eagles. Interestingly enough, the day before I had also watched the (McNeese State) Cowboys and the (North Texas) Eagles. The NFL game was great--Troy Aikman, Alvin Harper, and Randall Cunningham all had some incredible--and I believe record-setting--plays. But the intensity was not even close to what I had experienced at Fouts the previous day. That, to me, is the biggest difference between NFL and college football--the intensity. Throw in the pageantry and tradition along with that intensity.

--In person...college games..... all about atmosphere...

on TV.... NFL.

At Least the NFL teams play on a pretty level field. Not so of college.... some have huge financial advantages over the others and it shows in win/losses. No NFL teams have the extremely high win percentage long term that some colleges do {Texas, Alabama, USC, OU, Ohio State, etc. Drafting and salary caps prevent that.

[ Does SMU have a salary cap for their players????? .....LOL ] That was mean..!

• Upvote 1

I, too, think the college game is much more exciting and much more fun to watch. Pro basketball turned me off a long time ago, and I watch pro football when there isn't a college game to watch. I love attending college games in person, but you would have to pay me to go to a professional game. The atmosphere is just not the same at all when you compare college football and basketball to professional football and basketball.

It's like my Dad said about BBQ..."it's all good son, some is just better than others!" He said that about several things as I recall.

College football/basketball > professional football/basketball.

Ain't even a question.

It actually is a question. Everyone has their own opinion based what teams they pull for or how they watch the sport. I think if the NCAA would go to a playoff system that they would really begin to trump the NFL but the NFL is really a lot more popular nation wide. That starts with the Super Bowl and goes down to Monday Night Football and the tv deals and all that fun stuff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Did you find this to be true, Kram? In your own experience? ;)

I found it to be true in oh so many ways and regarding oh so many different things. Just like the vast majority of the wisdom my Dad passed along to me. Much of which at the "time of passing along to me" fell on deaf ears only to be remembered a few years down the road. The guy did not have the "book learning" (left before HS graduation to join the Army Air Corps in WWII), but he was a very smart and wise man none the less. Great Dad, great husband and even better friend as I grew into adulthood.

Edited by KRAM1

It actually is a question. Everyone has their own opinion based what teams they pull for or how they watch the sport. I think if the NCAA would go to a playoff system that they would really begin to trump the NFL but the NFL is really a lot more popular nation wide. That starts with the Super Bowl and goes down to Monday Night Football and the tv deals and all that fun stuff.

Nope.

• Upvote 1

I would really enjoy seeing the data on this. I would have to bet that attendance overall at college games is much greater than the pro games in a season and that more money is spent on college gear than pro gear. Seems to me that many of the people filling NFL stadiums are also big time college fans. Not trying to take anything away from the NFL, but I have to think the economic impact of college football across the nation is much bigger than NFL football. I am sure someone has done a study or two.

Anyone?

Nope.

Here are some other good questions that everyone has opinions on. Would you please divulge your answers?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

What the heck?

You've got to ask yourself a question, "Do I feel lucky?". Well do you; Punk?

Why isn't UNT in the Big 12?

By the way, scientific studies have shown that 89% of Americans enjoy NCAA football over the NFL. Fact. :ph34r:

• Downvote 1

By the way, scientific studies have shown that 89% of Americans enjoy NCAA football over the NFL. Fact. :ph34r:

By the way, scientific studies have show that 53.6% of statistics are incorrect. :ph34r:

Personally I think the game day experience between college ball and NFL are two totally different experiences. Really not a way for me to compare them IMO.

• Downvote 1

I would really enjoy seeing the data on this. I would have to bet that attendance overall at college games is much greater than the pro games in a season and that more money is spent on college gear than pro gear. Seems to me that many of the people filling NFL stadiums are also big time college fans. Not trying to take anything away from the NFL, but I have to think the economic impact of college football across the nation is much bigger than NFL football. I am sure someone has done a study or two.

Anyone?

More people die every year in cars than planes.

• Upvote 1

I wish UNT played teams that were closer to Denton. What make the atmosphere so great is cheering louder than then enemy sitting in your area. Sometimes when its only UNT fans, it makes for a great game that could be better.

Traveling to an away College game will beat out an NFL game everytime.

College football involves so much more than just two teams squaring off on the gridiron. The college game is flavored by diverse regional cultures that the plastic NFL can't come close to. Each school has its own heroes, its own great games its own golden eras. The NFL has franchises like McDonald's. College football has campuses and hangouts and ties that cross generations. They play college football in Canyon, Texas, Starkville, Mississippi, Corvallis, Oregon and Hanover, New Hampshire. The NFL has hooker cheerleaders, and teams that can move from Baltimore to Indianapolis or from Houston to Nashville whenever the owner gets into a snit. The college game has real natural rivalries that inspire passions. There is always a surprise in the college ranks, a new hot team. There is always an interesting story in college football that can be discovered or rediscovered. If playoffs are the great selling point for the NFL then I'm not buying. The WNBA has a playoff system, too, big friggin' deal. I hope college football never gets a playoff system and comes to look like the NFL. I love it the way it is.

• Upvote 1