Jordan Williams Commits To Unt!

SUMG

As long as he doesn't read the negative fan message board we have we should be ok

Seriously, people! Recruits read this stuff!

If they keep seeing that we're thrilled to get talented commits and that we're elated over how they'll allow us to maintain and build upon our recent legacy of success... Then what?

Damn negative Vito!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Please remember this important disclaimer: Just because football hurt you in the past, it doesn't mean basketball wants to hurt you.

Basketball loves you. It wants you to spend some time with it, get to know it; maybe go out for a nice coffee date or something. There's no need to rush into anything. Basketball is more spread out and gives you plenty of chances to go at your own pace.

Busy on the weekends? Basketball can see you on a weeknight. Want basketball to meet your kids? Hey, basketball respects your past and will accept them as its own. Basketball will spend the holidays with you and stay even after football has left your house a trashed mess long after New Year's Day.

Basketball understands if you love football. Football is king in Texas. It gets it and doesn't hold it against you.

But, just remember, basketball is silently growing into a 5-11 stunner with a natural D cup and long legs underneath that that conservative sweater top and reading glasses. You can ignore her now, but you're going to kick yourself for not talking to her when she lets her hair down and goes wild this season.

I love her

Please remember this important disclaimer: Just because football hurt you in the past, it doesn't mean basketball wants to hurt you.

Basketball loves you. It wants you to spend some time with it, get to know it; maybe go out for a nice coffee date or something. There's no need to rush into anything. Basketball is more spread out and gives you plenty of chances to go at your own pace.

Busy on the weekends? Basketball can see you on a weeknight. Want basketball to meet your kids? Hey, basketball respects your past and will accept them as its own. Basketball will spend the holidays with you and stay even after football has left your house a trashed mess long after New Year's Day.

Basketball understands if you love football. Football is king in Texas. It gets it and doesn't hold it against you.

But, just remember, basketball is silently growing into a 5-11 stunner with a natural D cup and long legs underneath that that conservative sweater top and reading glasses. You can ignore her now, but you're going to kick yourself for not talking to her when she lets her hair down and goes wild this season.

This needs to be on a t-shirt

Wow this is Greatness! May I have your permission to pin this to the top of the board?

Wow this is Greatness! May I have your permission to pin this to the top of the board?

Yes, I would be honored. However, can I ask for a chance to fix the extra "that" typo towards the end first?

Yes, I would be honored. However, can I ask for a chance to fix the extra "that" typo towards the end first?

Absolutely or I will fix it for you! What an exciting development tonight brings us!!! And in the midst of football 24-7 no less. Thanks for capturing the North Texas basketball message all should hear so well and so clearly!!

I am not that in tune with college recruiting but I really did not think getting a 3 star commitment was a huge deal but apparently it is. At this point in the program we pretty much need to only recruit and lock up 3 star kids with an occasional 4 star. Couple of trips to the big dance, 4 straight 20 win seasons...a very very nice (somewhat outdated) arena and a very big public school near DFW are all attractive things the MBB team has to show. Good for JJ and the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not that in tune with college recruiting but I really did not think getting a 3 star commitment was a huge deal but apparently it is. At this point in the program we pretty much need to only recruit and lock up 3 star kids with an occasional 4 star. Couple of trips to the big dance, 4 straight 20 win seasons...a very very nice (somewhat outdated) arena and a very big public school near DFW are all attractive things the MBB team has to show. Good for JJ and the team.

Wow I am an idiot. Ranked 124 nationally and top 10 overall in the state. Dang that is a hell of a signing.

• Upvote 3

If you go by the star system per rivals when it comes to BB , they only give 5 stars to about 20 - 30 kids per year. Basically only the ones who they think will be make it in the NBA.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

3 stars covers a wide, wide range of players.

Rivals says this is the 124th best recruit in the country this year. ESPN says he's the 8th best player in the state of Texas.

Getting this guy is evidence of how the many things you mentioned that we've got going for us are starting to pay off, bigger and bigger.

For reference, compared to our amazing 2007 signing class... Rivals had Odufuwa as a 3 star and 16th in the state of Texas, not ranked nationally out of high school when he signed with Arizona State. We got him a year later as a transfer. Tristan Thompson was a Rivals 3 star, not nationally ranked or ranked in the state. Josh White was a Rivals 2 star, 10th in the state of Louisiana.

We had a highly regarded, fantastic pickup in last year's class in RJ McGhee, and another well heralded great pickup the year before in Jacob Holmen. 2007 was the mother lode in terms of recent recruiting for us. But as far as national rankings and accolades... Williams blows everyone else in our recent recruiting history completely out of the water.

Recruiting isn't an exact science and opinions may vary (though ESPN seems to agree with Rivals, given that Williams' 91 grade puts him 131st nationally). But the fact that this kid is the highest ranked recruit we've landed in the past 4 or 5 years (unless you count Rod Flemings as a never-saw-the-floor academic casualty transfer) says something. We've brought in some really good players, and they weren't flying under the radar when we inked them. And the experts say this guy is even more talented than they were. That's what makes this so encouraging.

And he's only the first commit of the year. That's the best part. Even if he's the centerpiece and nobody else that signs is a bigger deal than him, Williams is still gifted enough to make this a great class. But getting him first, so long before early signing... This could be the tip of a fantastic, sexy iceberg.

• Upvote 4

One more bit of historical context...

For anyone who remembers Brandon "Snap" Peters, the SG we were in on early last season before he verbaled to WKU in late November... Rivals and ESPN both have Jordan Williams graded higher and ranked higher in his class than Peters was for 2010.

Also, Williams is 4 inches taller (and counting).

• Upvote 1