Sun Belt Unit Rankings

MeanGreen61

:blink:

Secondaries

1. Middle Tennessee

Alex Gendreau is a great kicker, but thats where the sure things end. The punting game will be fine, but the return game is among the worst in the country and needs a ton of work. The coverage teams also need an overhaul. On the plus side, the Blue Raiders might still have the best special teams in the conference.

Special Teams

1. Louisiana

The kicking game is excellent and the coverage teams are fine. If the return game, specifically the kickoff return game, can be better, there’s a chance the Cajun special teams could be among the best in the Sun Belt. For a team with no defensive production, having a punter who can pin teams deep is a godsend. Spencer Ortega is one of the most valuable players on the team. Veteran kicker Tyler Albrecht is back after coming up with a decent 8-of-11 season including an impressive 4-of-6 shots from beyond 40 yards.

2. FIU

3. Troy

4. WKU

5. Middle Tennessee

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

1) Can we be at least average on turnover differential (close to zero differential) ?

2) Can our secondary do a better job of tackling ?

3) Can our FG kicker be at least average for a college kicker ?

If we meet those very accomplishable criteria, we have a chance to meet the 7 win mark IMO. The talent is certainly here.

Looks to me like a surprise or two with special teams and a new attitude on defense that UNT may just surprise more than a few people this year...and by surprise I mean in a positive way! I am expecting to see a whole new attitude and a whole new "look" to the team this year with lots of different sets and coverages, etc. I think we have both the athletes and the coaches to make the positive changes that will carry this team to at least 7 wins!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

so the "staff" of the site wrote this? So a 5 in Defensive Line...a 5 in Linebackers....an 8 in Secondaries...but an 8 overall on Defense?

Actually none of it makes a lot of sense. NT has 5 first team all conference and 4 in the top 30 best players. NT is tied with the Muts for the most, in both categories, yet NT is only predicted to have three conference wins. There is a real disconnect between what the prognosticators see in the talent and the performance. The only explanation for the vast difference is questions about coaching. While poor coaching may have been the case for the last three years, I don't think it is anymore. This is the most veteran team NT has fielded since 2003 and I look for a big turnaround. I believe that NT has all the pieces it needs but a winning attitude and hopefully that will develop.