My Qb Spotlight On The First Day Of Practice

GreenLegend37

Hey guys, here is something I wrote after looking at practice earlier this morning. I wrote it for kntu.com, and it's only a spotlight on the quarterbacks. I'll be at practice on Monday, and I'll be putting what I thought about the defense then. Don't attack me for talking about the QB's today, but they really stood out. Plus, it's hard to tell exactly how good the players look when they are just using helmets. Here is the link:

UNT QB's look good at practice

Again, don't attack me, I'm just a student but I figured there can never be enough Mean Green coverage!

I can't wait for football season, and I'm sure everyone else here can't either.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No offense....but you shouldn't throw out unsubstantiated stuff like "word from around camp is that coaches want ******* to start."

I really doubt that coaches would be saying anything of the sort. They've got two quality QBs battling it out. And btw.....whichever one they choose, I'm fine with.

Just my opinion. And I appreciate the effort...just to me, it's a turnoff when someone posts something like that and doesn't back it up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Agree with SUMG...if you are reporting, then a source is reasonable. If this is a blog, maybe not, but if it is your opinion and not hearsay from a coach (sounds like you have more than one that told you something), you should state that.

Is there an editor that proofs the story, or do you post this on your own?

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

One thing I was unaware of: didn't know you could listen to old games via the miracle of the podcast from the KNTU website.

• Upvote 2

Danget, I knew you guys would respond to something like that, but even though I am considered a student writer, I know that if it is just a rumor, I wouldn't write it.

It is true, you have my word on that. By true I mean I know for a fact that's what the coaches want.

Sorry for the edit, I forgot you guys were asking for a source. My source asked to speak on condition of anonymity because he is not really supposed to talk about the subject.

Edited by GreenLegend37
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Danget, I knew you guys would respond to something like that, but even though I am considered a student writer, I know that if it is just a rumor, I wouldn't write it.

It is true, you have my word on that. By true I mean I know for a fact that's what the coaches want.

Sorry for the edit, I forgot you guys were asking for a source. My source asked to speak on condition of anonymity because he is not really supposed to talk about the subject.

thanks for the story. not a bad effort.

i was pissed however at seeing the longwhorn logo and nd logo in the story below yours. why does kntu advertise future games for the horns? they need no help with attendance. why not mention future unt games with iowa, florida, georgia as a story instead; drum up interest in the campus team instead of one in austin? thanks, rant over.

thanks for the story. not a bad effort.

i was pissed however at seeing the longwhorn logo and nd logo in the story below yours. why does kntu advertise future games for the horns? they need no help with attendance. why not mention future unt games with iowa, florida, georgia as a story instead; drum up interest in the campus team instead of one in austin? thanks, rant over.

It really all has to do with content on the website. Just recently the radio station had a virus that knocked out a lot of our stories on the website. Don't ask me why some stories were left, it's something even our engineer (who worked 30 straight hours to get rid of the virus) cannot figure out.

But it's really just all about Texas sports in particular, and not just UNT.

You mean to tell me the KNTU website is about Texas sports in general and not just NT? Hmmmmm, something VERY wrong going on if that's the case. Does that mean I should expect an SFA story in the near future?

It really all has to do with content on the website. Just recently the radio station had a virus that knocked out a lot of our stories on the website. Don't ask me why some stories were left, it's something even our engineer (who worked 30 straight hours to get rid of the virus) cannot figure out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If there is a story about SFA that is worth mentioning on KNTU, then absolutely.

Don't let these guys beat you up - writers need thick skin. You had an assignment and did fine. And I completely believe that you heard that from a coach... one suggestion (as a former student writer).. I would edit to say that one coach (that preferred to remain anonymous) is a fan of so and so.. Until you have spoken to all coaches, you can't really make a statement that the entire coaching staff is "pulling for" one guy or another. Cool? Otherwise, keep it up - and keep it coming!

• Upvote 2

Don't let these guys beat you up - writers need thick skin. You had an assignment and did fine. And I completely believe that you heard that from a coach... one suggestion (as a former student writer).. I would edit to say that one coach (that preferred to remain anonymous) is a fan of so and so.. Until you have spoken to all coaches, you can't really make a statement that the entire coaching staff is "pulling for" one guy or another. Cool? Otherwise, keep it up - and keep it coming!

What Stebo said. Welcome to your baptism by fire to journalism 101 in the internet age. Keep one thing in mind: Beyond all of our specific interest in UNT Football, sports reporting is a resevoir of narratives about life in general. Nathan falls under the "Paid his Dues" storyline. Deep down, we're all pulling for him because he's demonstrated loyalty and tenacity, the kind of qualities that are often overlooked in this high-glitz age of reputation and glamour, and the type of qualities that serve one well in life in general. I hope the dude gets the nod and knocks it out of the park for that reason, but am also sure that the coaches will make the best decision for the team after everything's been evaluated.

What Stebo said. Welcome to your baptism by fire to journalism 101 in the internet age. Keep one thing in mind: Beyond all of our specific interest in UNT Football, sports reporting is a resevoir of narratives about life in general. Nathan falls under the "Paid his Dues" storyline. Deep down, we're all pulling for him because he's demonstrated loyalty and tenacity, the kind of qualities that are often overlooked in this high-glitz age of reputation and glamour, and the type of qualities that serve one well in life in general. I hope the dude gets the nod and knocks it out of the park for that reason, but am also sure that the coaches will make the best decision for the team after everything's been evaluated.

Oh don't worry guys, if I was getting mad about someone getting mad about what I wrote, that would just make me look like I only cared about myself and how it portrays me to the general public. I don't do it for my pleasure, I do it so every Mean Green fan can read more about the team and maybe read about a few "argumentative" statements here and there.

KNTU's going to be stepping up big time this fall in terms of UNT sports coverage as well, so watch out for that BUT since this is a football forum, I'm gonna keep it on topic by going back to this topic name and what you guys are talking about with Tune.

I don't think anyone will know which guy will be best suited to run the offense until either Tune or Thompson prove they are capable of doing so during fall practice. We have seen a few flashes from both of the guys in the games, but now with Tune's back against the wall so to speak, how will he respond? However, if Tune does end up getting the starting nod, that still means Thompson will have two years to show Denton his cannon. But would it be a better risk to showcase him to the nation for possibly 3.01 years, or just the 2.01 years if he isn't named the starter?

Edited by GreenLegend37

Thompson will have two years to show Denton his cannon. But would it be a better risk to showcase him to the nation for possibly 3.01 years, or just the 2.01 years if he isn't named the starter?

Technically, the should read "3.002777 years, or just the 2.002777 years" Just sayin...

Nice effort with the article.

I believe that the reporter gave an honest account of what he was told. Giving opinions and protecting sources is done all of the time.

I can understand why a coaching staff would hope that Thompson wins the battle. Thompson will lose another year's eligibility regardless of who wins the quarterback battle. If Thompson is the choice, and is able to save their jobs, he will have two more years at the helm. If Tune wins and is successful, he is gone and the process must begin again with an inexperienced quarterback.

That is not to say that Tune will not be fairly evaluated and be chosen. For all of the turmoil that he has gone through he has certainly earned our respect and part of me wants to see him start as a reward for his effort. But, looking beyond this coming year, I also hope for Thompson's success. If he starts and wins seven games this year, we should not have to worry about the quarterback situation for the next two years barring some catastrophe. So, yeah, I may have an even stronger hope that Thompson wins the battle.

no, this is a student radio station for and about the university of north texas. if you want to highlight some pro sports stories or some results of important national college games or bowl games fine. but a story about ut scheduling notre dame when they have already played each other 10 times in the past and nd is not even top 25? bs. some internal texas or nd fan stuck that story on there on purpose.

• Upvote 3

This is just a battle that I honestly didn't expect to see. I thought for sure with Riley moving to WR that it was basically Tune's job. But now Tune is thinking, "man I wish I had bones of steel!!"

I hear you. I guess the thought that goes through my mind is maybe the rumours of Riley's demise at the QB position may well be premature....

I hear you. I guess the thought that goes through my mind is maybe the rumours of Riley's demise at the QB position may well be premature....

I think he's done. He neither wants nor can take the beating that would surely come.

Plus, and I don't know why others don't see this, Tune has proven to be a VERY good steward of the football. No backbreaking turnovers (dont even TRY to bring up Ohio people...he brought us back and threw passes to win that one, TWICE). He faced the best teams on the schedule last season (live time against a first team defense...for more than one series) and came out looking pretty good.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1

I think he's done. He neither wants nor can take the beating that would surely come.

Plus, and I don't know why others don't see this, Tune has proven to be a VERY good steward of the football. No backbreaking turnovers (dont even TRY to bring up Ohio people...he brought us back and threw passes to win that one, TWICE). He faced the best teams on the schedule last season (live time against a first team defense...for more than one series) and came out looking pretty good.

I remember watching that game and seeing those turnovers, and I'll admit, I blamed him a little bit for losing that game because of those interceptions, but a few weeks later I changed my opinion on him during that game, and you are right, he did a very good job protecting the ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He faced the best teams on the schedule last season (live time against a first team defense...for more than one series) and came out looking pretty good.

Not knocking Tune, but a review of those games will show that he compiled most of his stats against Bama and Troy's 2nd and third team defense long after the games were decided. Bama doesn't bother me that much. Troy on the other hand....

Edited by UNT90

Not knocking Tune, but a review of those games will show that he compiled most of his stats against Bama and Troy's 2nd and third team defense long after the games were decided. Bama doesn't bother me that much. Troy on the other hand....

Interesting post. I find it baffling that nobody likes to talk about the conspiracy theory that the coaching staff betrayed Tune and the team by going ultra conservative in the first quarter against Alabama. Many UNT fans and players from last year think it was clear that it was a move to not allow Tune to succeed, just so Riley would keep his job and there would be no QB controversey.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10