Sooners And Texas A&m Had Sec Invitations

gangrene

Oklahoma president: Sooners and Texas A&M had SEC invitations

It will be interesting to see the reactions of Sooner and Aggie fans once this information has had a better opportunity to circulate amongst the fan bases. In the best interest of North Texas, I really believe a full dissolution of the Big XII would have been best.

In the best interest of North Texas, I really believe a full dissolution of the Big XII would have been best.

I respectfully disagree.

If the Big XII would have dissolved, other conferences would have been able to plug any potential holes with remaining teams from the Big XII. If the Big 10 were to take a couple teams from the Big East, the Big East could replace them with Kansas and Kansas State. As it stands now, if the Big Ten takes a couple teams from the Big East, the Big East is likely to look to C-USA, opening up some holes for us.

Also, with a dissolved Big XII, the Mountain West could well get some of the remnants. That would likely take away their need to look toward C-USA, the WAC, or North Texas in the future.

The best thing for UNT is to keep its name and its current progress in the forefront. In case you hadn't noticed SMUT raised approximately $10 million for athletics in the last two years. That is on top of $20 million when they brought in June Jones. It takes $$$$$ to be big time. When our donors don't come through and the students pay half the athletic fee of other school's students then it's only marketing our program's positives that can help. Winning some FB games would do wonders for that marketing. The time to win is NOW beginning with Clemson. TCU did it last year in "Death Valley" why can't we do the same?

Edited by DallasGreen

I respectfully disagree.

If the Big XII would have dissolved, other conferences would have been able to plug any potential holes with remaining teams from the Big XII. If the Big 10 were to take a couple teams from the Big East, the Big East could replace them with Kansas and Kansas State. As it stands now, if the Big Ten takes a couple teams from the Big East, the Big East is likely to look to C-USA, opening up some holes for us.

Also, with a dissolved Big XII, the Mountain West could well get some of the remnants. That would likely take away their need to look toward C-USA, the WAC, or North Texas in the future.

We can speculate all day on who may have gone where, but the fact of the matter is that there would still be a lot of movement in the conference realignment picture. As it is today, all conferences, with the possible exception of the WAC, seem to be content with their current members. The concept of the 16-team super conferences never really materialized (at least not yet). Had the Pac-10 become a 16-team conference, I believe we would have seen some major scrambling from the other AQ schools to form additional 16-team conferences. What specific opportunities that scenario would have created for North Texas is anyone's guess. My guess is that we'd have more options than going to the BSU-less WAC or remaining in, arguably, the worst FBS football conference - certainly the least respected.

Worst-NO

Least Respected by the Unknowledged -YES

You won't find the MAC, CUSA West, or even half the MWC wanting to schedule TROY,MTSU,FAU. UNT is

fortunate to even be considered in the same breath as

most of the SBC

Man, you really have a low opinion of NT. Why did you bother going to such a crappy university?

Edited by GreenMachine

Best way for UNT to "get noticed" and earn respect is to keep doing what it is doing...getting better. With the upgraded facilities for athletics overall, with teams in most sports doing quite well and with solid and improving academic standards and programs and with an improving football team, UNT is on the correct path. This stuff takes time. To get all fired up and disappointed over what some "talking heads" on message boards and radio talk shows have to say is of no real consequence and matters not to what and how UNT is doing about its own house.

The stuff that does bother me is the continuing "bad mouthing" of UNT by its grads and so-called "fans". The fastest way to lose some one's respect is to bad mouth your own program on a consistent basis and to show continued lack of support. UNT's "supporters" do seem to have a penchant for first looking for something they don't like and only if they can't find something they don't like will they decide that not all is wrong at UNT. You might be surprised how your attitude might change if you first looked for the "good stuff" (yes, I remind you that there is plenty of good "stuff" to be found if you will simply open your eyes to it).

Life is too short to go around complaining about everything all the time. The "younger" crowd on the board will realize that soon enough and everyone, of any age, should realize that being known as a university whose "fans" do not support it does absolutely no good. Whining and complaining constantly does no good. Want to help UNT improve? Easy, support the university. That's what you CAN do. Don't give that lame old excuse (because that's exactly what it is...an excuse) that you won't support UNT until......or the lame old excuse that you were somehow "dissed" or "wronged" some long years ago. What to see UNT improve...be part of the solution not part of the problem.

UNT is a GREAT university any way you want to judge it. I am extremely proud to say I am a two-time graduate of UNT and I take a back seat to no person in that regard. It is a privilege to support UNT in the small ways that I can and wish only that I had the resources to provide enough funds to add both baseball and men's soccer to the program. If I had that kind of $$$$ UNT would have baseball and soccer right now. Alas, my name is not Gates. But, whatever is possible is enough...do what you can. But, everyone can be positive and supportive. It does not cost a dime to let people know how great UNT is these days.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

Best way for UNT to "get noticed" and earn respect is to keep doing what it is doing...getting better.

I think off the field, you're right. On the field, we don't need to keep doing what we're doing... we need a 180o turnaround. Once we begin winning consistently (as we did in the early 2000's) then the rest of the great things we're doing, or committed to doing, in the athletic dept. will augment the product on the field/court and UNT will begin getting more attention both locally & nationally.

You can't have one without the other and expect great things. Good football and no committment to bettering the facilities has already been done, and it failed. Adding great facilities has already begun, but the football product is not where it needs to be. If the guys can get it to click this year, there should be lots of excitement for next year and beyond.

We need University leadership that is committed to winning (AD), great facilities, and winners. I believe we have 21/2 of these. Once we have all 3, our SEC invitation is only a few years away!

We need University leadership that is committed to winning (AD), great facilities, and winners. I believe we have 21/2 of these. Once we have all 3, our SEC invitation is only a few years away!

We also need supporters who do more than complain about everything that goes on, and we need students who actually support their fellow student-athletes by showing up for the games in much larger numbers than they do. Winning is about attitude as well as ability. Attidue from the entire Mean Green Nation! We have all seen teams with great athletes lose and teams win with athletes not considered so grand. If you believe you can do something and work hard good things seem to come your way even in sports. You absolutely have to think it and dream it. In my opinion, that goes for students and supporters as well. Football is the "bell cow", make no mistake about that, but to think that UNT is not committed to winning based on the last couple of year's record is a mistake.

I think each and every member of the UNT football team is a "winner". If they were not, they would not be playing D1 football at UNT. Our facilities are excellent and getting better, and the university administration in recent years has been very supportive of athletics.

Now UNT needs its fans, alumni, supporters and students to step up and match the efforts the administration, coaching staffs, AD, and players are making. I see too much lacking in the area of support as the number one challenge facing UNT athletics and the university in general these days. Too many people seem to think it is "someone else who bears the responsibility and they will simply ride the coattails after that "someone else" has done the heavy lifting.

Amazing what a little help from one's friends can do.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2