Todd Dodge Finds It's Not Easy Being Mean Green

MeanGreen61

CAN'T GET THE LINK TO WORK

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:57 pm EDT

From the Hot Seat: Todd Dodge finds it's not easy being Mean Green

By Doug Gillett

If you've ever seen the movie "Friday Night Lights," or even glimpsed an episode of the TV show it spawned, you know Texas high-school football inspires a rabid, almost religious following that rivals just about any of the state's dynastic college programs. So while most college teams would be loath to hire a coach from the high-school ranks, barely an eyebrow was raised in 2006 when North Texas hired prep legend Todd Dodge to revive the foundering Mean Green. Dodge was coming off a stretch of four state titles in five years at Carroll Senior High School (better known as Southlake Carroll) just a half-hour's drive down I-35 in the Fort Worth suburbs; his name had become so prolific that in 2006, he was offered opportunities to interview for both the Rice head-coaching job and the position of tight ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys.

Four years later, though, Dodge's name is no longer a hot commodity -- a 5-31 record and back-to-back-to-back eighth-place finishes in the lowly Sun Belt Conference will do that to a guy's rep. Considering that his predecessor, Darrell Dickey, strung together four straight Sun Belt titles in the early 2000s, that looks particularly bad, and if things don't improve in 2010, Dodge will in all likelihood be back on a high-school campus in short order.

Why he was hired. Just for the record, the "Southlake Carroll" entry on Dodge's resume includes: seven winning seasons in seven years, a 98-11 record, five straight appearances in the state championship game, and four titles. The Dragons went an inconceivable 79-1 during that five-year stretch, with their one loss coming to fellow powerhouse Katy in the '03 state championship. The players Dodge coached at Southlake include Chase Daniel, who earned a trophy case full of awards as Missouri's starting QB from 2006 to 2008, and Greg McElroy, who won some big bowl game this past season with the Alabama Crimson Tide.

The "Uh-oh" Moment. After struggling through a 2-10 season in Dodge's first year, the Mean Green faithful were hopeful about the prospects for improvement in 2008. 'Twas not to be: Dodge's team started 0-4, getting outscored 219-55 by a quartet of superior out-of-conference foes, before returning home to receive a 42-10 gut-punch from Florida International to open Sun Belt play. The Golden Panthers shot out to a 31-0 lead before allowing UNT to get a field goal on the board with five minutes left in the third quarter -- this from a team that had gone 1-11 the previous season (with the one win coming against, you guessed it, North Texas). The Mean Green didn't notch a single conference win all season; their lone victory came at Western Kentucky, at that point still only a "provisional" member of Division I-A. UNT finished the season dead last in I-A in scoring defense for the second year in a row, and ranked 100th or worse nationally in nearly every major statistical category.

Embarrassing attempt to right the ship. As former Hot Seater Al Groh will tell you, involving flesh and blood in your listless football program is perhaps not the best way to go. Dodge's son Riley, the 2006 ESPN RISE National High School Junior Football Player of the Year, changed his commitment from Texas to UNT in 2007 to go play for his dad, and was named the starting QB heading into the '09 season; he finished the year with nine TDs, 16 interceptions, and a whole series of injuries. By the time spring practice was in full swing in Denton, Riley's arm was more or less shot -- and Todd confessed as much to the media when he announced that his son was being moved to wide receiver this past April.

Can this marriage be saved? Possible, but unlikely, says Brett Vito, who covers the Mean Green for the Denton Record-Chronicle. If what he says is true, the minimum achievement necessary for Dodge to retain his job verges on "miracle" territory:

Dodge was seen as the second-coming in Denton. Darrell Dickey, the coach Dodge replaced, did a heck of a job in leading UNT to four straight Sun Belt Conference titles from 2001-04, but was never really embraced by the fans. Dickey told it like he saw it when it came to UNT, and said the school had some of the toughest circumstances in the country. That didn't make the fans, or the school administration, very happy. Dodge could do no wrong when he took over. People really thought he would win right away.

There are still a lot of Todd Dodge fans out there who see him as a coach who represents the school well. It's just that group of people is shrinking, and shrinking quickly.

Dodge is in big trouble career-wise. He probably needs to win seven games to save his job in a year that Clemson and Kansas State are on the schedule. UNT has only won five games in three years under Dodge and hasn't won more than three games in a season since 2004.

Approximate hotness of seat. About as hot as BP CEO Tony Hayward's, most likely. The Mean Green have 17 returning starters from last year's squad, behind only WKU in the Sun Belt, so in theory Dodge has a chance to finally steer things in the right direction this year. Seven wins and a bowl invite, though, would involve Dodge more than doubling his career wins record in a single campaign, and that just doesn't seem realistic at this point. On the bright side, though, he'll almost certainly have his pick of high-school jobs if/when the ax finally falls.

Honestly, he has 11 winnable games. The article paints it a bit like the school is expecting something unrealistic from him when in reality all that's being asked is that he field a team with more wins than losses in his fourth season here. We're really holding him to the fire, expecting that result one year before DD got it. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Honestly, he has 11 winnable games. The article paints it a bit like the school is expecting something unrealistic from him when in reality all that's being asked is that he field a team with more wins than losses in his fourth season here. We're really holding him to the fire, expecting that result one year before DD got it. rolleyes.gif

I think the writer means that historically, Dodge faces a HUGE obstacle. I don;t feel like doing the research, but I bet you would be hard pressed to find a 4th year coach that won more games in his 4th year than his first 3 years combined. Maybe I'm wrong. If I am, I am sure someone will let me know.

Having turned the gameplanning and playcalling over to Chico Canales, it will be really easy being Mean Green for Dodge this year. Combine that with the fact that Canales will play quarterbacks who can see over the line of scrimmage and throw the ball further than 15 yards down the field, and it's a lead pipe cinch that Dodge will have an easy time being Mean Green in 2010...and, thus 2011.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Having turned the gameplanning and playcalling over to Chico Canales, it will be really easy being Mean Green for Dodge this year. Combine that with the fact that Canales will play quarterbacks who can see over the line of scrimmage and throw the ball further than 15 yards down the field, and it's a lead pipe cinch that Dodge will have an easy time being Mean Green in 2010...and, thus 2011.

I know someone here has the statistics, but they speak otherwise. If RV goes back on the 7-win deal, Teflon Todd will return. That's the only way he comes back, IMO.

I know someone here has the statistics, but they speak otherwise. If RV goes back on the 7-win deal, Teflon Todd will return. That's the only way he comes back, IMO.

I know this "7 win" thing has been debated and kicked around a good bit. But, I can find no actually comment from RV that TD has...HAS...to win 7 games or UNT will have a new head coach. I have heard reference to the "6 wins isn't good enough" thing, but that can be spun several different ways. Is there any real and verifiable evidence that it is 7 wins or gone? I mean is there solid evidence and/or verifiable material where RV has said"Coach Dodge you have to win seven games next season no matter what the circumstances or you will not be returning as head coach in 2011"...or something close to that???

I tend to believe that TD will be evaluated after the season on the whole of the season...on and off the field...and a decision will be made as it is after every season. The number of wins being VERY important but not the only factor in the equation. Anyway, win 7 or more and it's a mute point. Win less than 7 and we'll all find out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know this "7 win" thing has been debated and kicked around a good bit. But, I can find no actually comment from RV that TD has...HAS...to win 7 games or UNT will have a new head coach. I have heard reference to the "6 wins isn't good enough" thing, but that can be spun several different ways. Is there any real and verifiable evidence that it is 7 wins or gone? I mean is there solid evidence and/or verifiable material where RV has said"Coach Dodge you have to win seven games next season no matter what the circumstances or you will not be returning as head coach in 2011"...or something close to that???

I tend to believe that TD will be evaluated after the season on the whole of the season...on and off the field...and a decision will be made as it is after every season. The number of wins being VERY important but not the only factor in the equation. Anyway, win 7 or more and it's a mute point. Win less than 7 and we'll all find out.

I think it has been said here many times but if you listen to the Podcast 64 you will hear RV talk about it and say that he needs more then six wins. He makes it pretty clear.

Barbershop Podcast #64

Edited by KingDL1

I think it has been said here many times but if you listen to the Podcast 64 you will hear RV talk about it and say that he needs more then six wins. He makes it pretty clear.

Barbershop Podcast #64

Yes, I have heard that, but still wonder if it is actually an ultimatum and a "drop dead" requirement. I have heard such things many times before (in several athletic and non-athletic settings) which always seemed to have a way of changing. I really think UNT has a great shot at a 7+ win season in 2010, but I am wondering why improvement to 5-6 wins would not be enough to get another year after the struggles the last few years and the massive improvement in classroom performance and decrease in "off-field" troubles by the team? Just wondering if there really isn't a decent amount of wiggle room in the "7 win" thing as I have never heard RV say directly "If Coach Dodge does not win 7 or more games in 2010 he will not be UNT's head coach in 2011". I do understand, however, how the comment captured in the podcast mentioned could be seen as a concrete ultimatum, just personally don't see it that way...too much wiggle room with the "what I was saying was......".

Personally, I hope for a 7+ win season and then it will be a mute point/question. GO MEAN GREEN!

Yes, I have heard that, but still wonder if it is actually an ultimatum and a "drop dead" requirement. I have heard such things many times before (in several athletic and non-athletic settings) which always seemed to have a way of changing. I really think UNT has a great shot at a 7+ win season in 2010, but I am wondering why improvement to 5-6 wins would not be enough to get another year after the struggles the last few years and the massive improvement in classroom performance and decrease in "off-field" troubles by the team? Just wondering if there really isn't a decent amount of wiggle room in the "7 win" thing as I have never heard RV say directly "If Coach Dodge does not win 7 or more games in 2010 he will not be UNT's head coach in 2011". I do understand, however, how the comment captured in the podcast mentioned could be seen as a concrete ultimatum, just personally don't see it that way...too much wiggle room with the "what I was saying was......".

Personally, I hope for a 7+ win season and then it will be a mute point/question. GO MEAN GREEN!

If it's not an ultimatum, why said it ? IMHO RV made it clear that six wins wouldn't float the boat.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I think the writer means that historically, Dodge faces a HUGE obstacle. I don;t feel like doing the research, but I bet you would be hard pressed to find a 4th year coach that won more games in his 4th year than his first 3 years combined. Maybe I'm wrong. If I am, I am sure someone will let me know.

I don't feel up to doing the "research" either, but if you look at Mack Brown at UNC, he came pretty close: 1-10 his first year, 1-10 his second year, 6-4-1 his third year, and 7-4 his fourth year. Greg Schiano at Rutgers was also close.

Gary Barnett at Northwestern is the only one I can think of: 3-8, 2-9, 3-7-1, and then 10-2 his fourth year.

Hear me now, believe me later - The Sun Belt will be a cake walk for us in 2010. The only mystery is how close we stay to Clemson and whether or not we can upend a Big 12 weary Kansas State in the finale.

And, folks...if we don't sell out the finale....

Just be there. Kansas State said their victory over us in there 1-10 1989 season was a turning point. Let's get them back in our Fouts Finale. Our athletic department needs to buy the DVD K-State still sells of that game and make our players watch it every week!

Canales has the potential to be a head coach. If we start out 0-4, but the team shows desire and innovation on offense in doing so, you'll see a new coach well before the season ends. :(

Canales has the potential to be a head coach. If we start out 0-4, but the team shows desire and innovation on offense in doing so, you'll see a new coach well before the season ends. :(

Why isn't he a head coach now with all these skins on the wall? His play calling has been questioned at his past two stops. I hope he succeeds, but it is going to take more than just him to turn this thing around this season.

• Upvote 2