I heard some sad news, and I hope it is not true. The President will not be visiting Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day. I hear he is going on vacation. If this is true, this really bothers me. Our soldiers deserve to be honored. I don't know why he is choosing not to attend, and right now I don't care to speculate. I don't want to make this political. I don't care if you are a Republican or Democrat. I just want to request a favor. If we have any Eagles or know anyone in the D.C. area, it would be nice if you people might stop by Arlington for a few minutes and pay respect. As a nation, we must not forget what these soldiers gave for us to be free.

This weekend I will talk to my great uncle, who fought in WWII, and I'll be thinking about my wifes grand father, who served in Korea.

Have a good Memorial Day weekend, and thank you to all of our military.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While it is a poor decision by President Obama to not visit Arlington this memorial day, he is not the first president to skip the ceremony. He will be giving a speech commemorating the day at the Abe Lincoln cemetery near Chicago. The guy wanted to "go home" and take his family back to Chicago for the holiday. OK, I get that, and there will be veterans who think this is fine and veterans who think he is really disrespecting them and those who gave their lives for this great nation of ours. As a veteran myself and the father of a son currently serving in Iraq, I find it to be a bit of poor judgment and nothing more. When the US is engaged in a war on two fronts and is suffering the loss of some of its soldiers, I would think the "better call" would have been to send the family to Chicago, join them for a day or two and head back on Air Force One for the Memorial day ceremony at Arlington. But, he made the call he wanted to make. Does it say anything about his feelings for the military? I doubt it, but it does give an insight into his thought processes and what he considers important.

The fact that he is paying tribute albeit not at Arlington, at least reflects that he is aware of the significance of the day.

It's not that big a deal to most veterans, I would think, but it will "stay" in their minds. It is simply an "opportunity missed" by the President.

• Downvote 1

They are both national cemeteries.

True enough, but Arlington hold the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and a special area for those who served and lost their lives in the current conflict. The significance of Arlington should not be missed by anyone. It is not just any national cemetery. If you have ever been there and walked on the hallowed ground you will know exactly what I mean. The only other cemetery where I have felt the same emotion was when I had the honor of visiting the American cemetery in Normandy, France.

My Dad is buried in Dallas' National cemetery and I will, one day...hopefully not to soon, join him there. My family, as are many others, is well aware of the significance of each and every national cemetery including the very special significance of Arlington. One would think our president would know that as well.

However, as a veteran, and the son and grandson and great grandson of a veteran, I am not overly concerned that the president felt it OK to go home for a short vacation with his family rather than spend time at Arlington national cemetery. He will honor Memorial Day at a national cemetery convenient for him.

It's all pretty much politics. I do think that because Pres. Obama did not serve in the military, there is a hyper-sensitivity to how he treats the military. Bill Clinton understood this, and was at Arlington 8 years in a row.

Pres. Obama either doesn't understand this, or he doesn't care. Either way, pretty politically foolish.

But the whole issue is about politics.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

IF he chooses not to attend, its pretty sorry on his part. He can't put "going home" on hold for one freaking day? Pretty sad. :(

From Fox News, so I can't speak for it's validity:

"OBAMA ISN'T THE FIRST PRESIDENT TO MISS THE CEREMONY. RONALD REAGAN SPOKE AT WEST POINT ONE YEAR AND WENT TO HIS CALIFORNIA RANCH ANOTHER. GEORGE H.W. BUSH DIDN'T GO AT ALL...AND GEORGE W. BUSH DIDN'T GO HIS FIRST TWO YEARS IN OFFICE."

You're right Rudy it's pretty sorry. GHWBush didn't go at all, he sent Quayle who used his family's influence to get out of service. W. sent Cheney. Hell, Cheney should have laid 5 wreaths. One for every deferment he got.

Obama is going to a service at a national cemetery. It's just in Illinois. Your phony outrage amuses me.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

"OBAMA ISN'T THE FIRST PRESIDENT TO MISS THE CEREMONY. RONALD REAGAN SPOKE AT WEST POINT ONE YEAR AND WENT TO HIS CALIFORNIA RANCH ANOTHER. GEORGE H.W. BUSH DIDN'T GO AT ALL...AND GEORGE W. BUSH DIDN'T GO HIS FIRST TWO YEARS IN OFFICE."

You're right Rudy it's pretty sorry. GHWBush didn't go at all, he sent Quayle who used his family's influence to get out of service. W. sent Cheney. Hell, Cheney should have laid 5 wreaths. One for every deferment he got.

Obama is going to a service at a national cemetery. It's just in Illinois. Your phony outrage amuses me.

And we're back to blaming Bush...

These threads really do run full circle.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Where did I blame Bush for anything? I'm just pointing out that other presidents have done the same thing, but if you have an ® next to your name, you get a pass.

No, if you served your country, you get a pass. Pres. Clinton and Pres. Obama didn't. Clinton undeerstood this and was there every year. Pres. Obama either doesn't understand this or doesn't care. Really not a big deal, other than to show his lack of understanding/doesn't care attitude about the current political landscape.

Interesting that you use the 2 Bush Presidents when there were others available for example. Interesting again that everything has to be in republican or democrat terms with you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Mat God Bless all who served and may we all remember why men serve and why they stand ready to pay the ultimate price for our freedom.

Big ditto here Kram... I just got word that my brother and his entire Ranger company is loading up their gear in the desert and should be home in less than two weeks! Great day for great news if you ask me!

Interesting that you use the 2 Bush Presidents when there were others available for example. Interesting again that everything has to be in republican or democrat terms with you.

I actually didn't use any examples. I used the FOX News version of the story, which also included Reagan. In the story that ran no other presidents were mentioned.

It's not about party affiliation (I haven't voted for a democratic president in 20 years) it's about hypocrisy. I just don't remember this phony outrage when other presidents did the exact same thing. The last 3 presidents to do this just happened to be repubs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No, if you served your country, you get a pass. Pres. Clinton and Pres. Obama didn't. Clinton undeerstood this and was there every year.

And Reagan? Hell, Reagan showed so much disrespect he didn't even send GHWB. He sent the under secrty of the defense (or some such person).

BTW, Obama went to a Nat'l. cemetery. He paid respect, just not at Arlington. But don't let that get in the way of your hate.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

By the way.... in the tradition of Memorial Day, and more important than the Obama "disrespect" or whatever... I went and played some golf today and shot a personal best 92 on a pretty hard course!

btw... I do suck at golf, but I appear to be getting better thanks to a new (new to me) set of Taylor Made RAC irons and wedges!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

By the way.... in the tradition of Memorial Day, and more important than the Obama "disrespect" or whatever... I went and played some golf today and shot a personal best 92 on a pretty hard course!

btw... I do suck at golf, but I appear to be getting better thanks to a new (new to me) set of Taylor Made RAC irons and wedges!

Well, it sounds like you enjoyed your freedom, and didn't take yourself too seriously, so +1 for sucking less at golf (I tried golf once and gave up, so have to respect that you're at least trying).

Dude, quit being an ass. Or at least try. I am not bringing in politics. I think its sory for ANY president not to attend Arlington. I didnt realize its "outrage" to show displeasure at a president. I thought it was that damn fredom of speech thing. Thanks for setting me straight.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Well, it sounds like you enjoyed your freedom, and didn't take yourself too seriously, so +1 for sucking less at golf (I tried golf once and gave up, so have to respect that you're at least trying).

Well thanks,and I will continue to try until I don't suck or go broke, which ever comes first.... probably going broke.