Fouts: Will You Miss It ?

NT80

My first game in Fouts was Nov. 17, 1973 vs Tulsa.

My last game there will be on Nov. 27, 2010 vs KSU.

I have a lot of memories at Fouts but I'm ready for a new stadium.

Try out the zoom and pan features in these links....

http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=16465

http://www.gigapan.org/viewGigapan.php?id=16480

Edited by NT80

I grew up in Denton. Went to see the 4th of July fireworks as a kid. Attended some track meets. Saw many HS football games there when I was young - up thru graduting Ryan High, and of course NT games.

Sure I'll miss it.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

I recall in the not too distant past, that the area around the concession stands was dirt. Mud when it rained. The aluminum bleachers are also relatively new.

I recall a game against somebody when the sprinklers came on during the game. At one time, there were so many lights burned out in the stadium lights, I heard a fan of the opposing team swear that NTSU was spelled out in the exhausted bulbs. It's just an old, worn out, stadium that was not maintained throughout the decades. Only now, it seems, does anyone care to keep the home of the Mean Green in good condition.

No I won't miss it.

Although I'll always remember the Florida State Homecoming game in the snow that we blew. And the monsoon against Southern Miss.

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

I'll miss Fouts about the same way I missed the Texas Rangers' Arlington Stadium. I had a lot of great memories there but I made plenty of new ones at the new Ballpark @ whatever it's called now.

I feel the same way about the girl I took to Senior Prom, and that pretty accurately sums up my feelings about Fouts too. No ill will, but we've moved on.

• Upvote 1

I feel the same way about the girl I took to Senior Prom, and that pretty accurately sums up my feelings about Fouts too. No ill will, but we've moved on.

I thought of a great follow up joke that involved being 30 yards from the action and made reference to the old piss-wall... But I don't think it would pass moderation.

Maybe the one about kettle corn and a huge empty end zone would spare me from banning... But I'm not going to risk that one, either.

My first Fouts Field game was against SMU in 2006. I haven't been a Mean Green fan for very long. I have never known this team to be a winner. But in just a few years I have some memories at Fouts.

SMU in 2006, my first UNT game. We destroyed SMU 24-6.

One month later, 7 overtimes vs FIU, tying an NCAA record.

Navy, in 2007, the highest scoring regulation game in NCAA history.

Double overtime game in the driving rain again Ohio last year.

But my favorite memory of Fouts will be the documentary film I participated in where I got to see the guts of Fouts - the locker rooms, the press box, the concession stands, and the horrible state of the old lady. And my favorite thing about Fouts is the effort to get rid of it.

• Upvote 1

About as much as I miss root canals and premature...

Seriously, I have been to close to 150 events in fun-filled Fouts Field and will fondly say farewell when we finally finalize football forever.

There are things I am curious about regarding the new stadium, including:

** the attention the school will put to accomodating tailgating (and those who like to stake a claim and put down tailgating roots in the same area)

** are solutions being identified to turn tailgaters into game-gaters (wins help)?

** will the athletics department feel compelled to trick up the new stadium with the traditional after-loss celebration we call fireworks?

** whether the birds that apparently vacation over Section H will move to the new stadium (and in which section of the bird flu lottery wheel will said birds land?)

** how close to the field will the fans be, and will their noise remain in the stadium, and how will said noise affect play on the field?

** will Kettle Korn make the trek south?

** will mid-level Mean Green Club donations merit a green-colored rainsuit gift instead of an umbrella that can be awarded (at the stadium!) to he who donates so generously but not used at same stadium?

** will there be dividers placed between urinators in the men's room?

** will monitors placed above the concessions work?

** will the ticket office designate some sections of the stadium as standing and yelling sections so that fans who choose to do either will do so among fan friends, not enemies who chose to do their evening reading at a football stadium instead of a library?

** how likely is it that I know some rich alums well enough to get invited into their club level suite?

** will the old Fouts Field scoreboard (the really old one) be given a proper burial?

** will the deteriorating, maggot-infested corpse of Fouts Field be left standing to remind us of days gone by, or will that last previously mentioned post-game fireworks incorporate some sort of non-radiation bearing explosive that effectively dismisses the old girl?

Will the answers to these and other questions provide sweet respite from the post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), cold sweat sleep interuptions that so befittingly describe my recall of Fouts Field?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

While I'm really looking forward to the first game in the new stadium, I will miss Fouts.

I saw the first game at Fouts while home on leave. I thought that it was really "big time" when compared to the old stadium. At that time I thought that all stadia should have tracks around the field. I had great eyesight then but now it's hard for me to see the players bench.

Some other memories have been mentioned...the high=scoring Navy game; the monsoon when we played Southern Miss; the two wins over SMU; the blizzard when Florida State came to town and the win over FIU in seven overtimes. To that I add fantastic duel between Greg Cook ov Cincinnati and Steve Ramsey played in a myriad of weather conditions which we finally pulled out. Abner Haynes scoring all eight points in a win over Tulsa that brought our fist MVC championship. Most of our football and track Hall-of-Famers performed at Fouts; I was fortunate enough to see them all.

So yes, I will miss the memories of Fouts. Without Fouts we sould still be in the FCS or lower. I think that it was the stadium, more than anything else, that allowed us to join the MVC and major college football.

Now I'd like to add one more memory before embracing the new home of the Mean Green, I'd like to see a win over Kansas State in the final game. Then the old girl, who has lost her beauty, can nevertheless go out in style.

• Upvote 3

i'm going to miss fouts.

it's the only stadium i've known, besides road games. it's my stadium.

hopefully, the new one will be as awesome as it should be and in time, it may become my favorite, but fouts will be missed by me.

first game, sept '95 against oregon state...victory...

Edited by radiogreen

I will miss Fouts as well, not enough to want to go back but there is something bittersweet about saying goodbye to the place. I have many great memories in that stadium, good times with friends, a few great wins sprinkled in there and despite the recent suck that we have endured the place does have a certain charm to it, a certain charisma.

First game was in 99, don't remember who we played though, I was a senior in High School and trying to figure out which school to attend so most of my attention was paid to the girls in the student section and around campus...

My favorite memory was the hard fought game against NMSU to clinch the sunbelt title, storming the field and tackling the goalposts with hundreds of other equally excited students! That was an amazing night at Fouts.

But here's to the next set of great memories this year in Fouts and in the future at the new house!

• Upvote 1

I will miss Fouts as well, not enough to want to go back but there is something bittersweet about saying goodbye to the place. I have many great memories in that stadium, good times with friends, a few great wins sprinkled in there and despite the recent suck that we have endured the place does have a certain charm to it, a certain charisma.

First game was in 99, don't remember who we played though, I was a senior in High School and trying to figure out which school to attend so most of my attention was paid to the girls in the student section and around campus...

My favorite memory was the hard fought game against NMSU to clinch the sunbelt title, storming the field and tackling the goalposts with hundreds of other equally excited students! That was an amazing night at Fouts.

But here's to the next set of great memories this year in Fouts and in the future at the new house!

nmsuvictory.jpg

Edited by MeanGreen61

I won't miss Fouts, but I will miss the affordability of Fouts. After this year, gone will be the days of patio access with a $250 donation. I imagine will will also see an increase in season ticket prices for all seats and an increase in parking prices.

These are all necessary steps in trying to become what we all think we can be, but I'll still miss the value.

I won't miss Fouts, but I will miss the affordability of Fouts. After this year, gone will be the days of patio access with a $250 donation. I imagine will will also see an increase in season ticket prices for all seats and an increase in parking prices.

These are all necessary steps in trying to become what we all think we can be, but I'll still miss the value.

Someone once said "there ain't no free lunch". There is a price for upgrading.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I believe that the reason that some of you don't hold very fond memories of Fouts has to do with the amount of time that you've been a North Texas fan. When you're losing the sight lines seem worse, the playing field is much farther away, the lights aren't bright enough even with the added generators, and the wind gives the aluminum bleachers an eerie sound.

If we continue losing we'll start finding fault with the new stadium as well. Always think positive and we'll come to love our new digs.

• Upvote 1

Prime rib will never be served at ground chuck prices. For FAR too long our fans (not saying you) have demanded small-time program prices...and complained sbout a lack of big-time program results.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1