Orlando Sentinel On #113 North Texas

NT80

http://blogs.orlando...s_...texas.html

College Football 2010 Rankings: No. 113 North Texas

North Texas, Orlando Sentinel Preseason Rankings 2010, college football †posted by andrea adelson on May, 10 2010 6:00 AM

Discuss This: Comments(0) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it The Orlando Sentinelâ€s 2010 college football preseason rankings will count down Football Bowl Subdivision teams from 120 to 1.

Today at No. 113: North Texas.

Why are they No. 113? Coach Todd Dodge is most definitely on the hot seat, going 5-31 in his last three seasons at North Texas. The faithful are going restless, and speculation swirled after the 2009 season ended that Dodge would be gone. Going into 2010, the starting quarterback position is unsettled and Dodge is going to have to win, and win early to save his job.

Spring prospectus

2010 schedule

Capsule, by Matt Reinstetle

North Texas Mean Green

Coach: Todd Dodge (5-31, 4th season)

2009 Record: 2-10 (1-7 8th in Sun Belt)

Look back: 2009 started off well for North Texas as it beat Ball State 20-10 in the season opener. Then the Mean Green went on a six-game losing streak, which ended with a 68-49 win over Western Kentucky †the worst team in the country. A four-game losing streak followed, and redshirt freshman QB Riley Dodge broke his right arm in the season finale against Arkansas State.

Offensive starters lost/returning: 1/10

Defensive starters lost/returning: 3/8

Key losses: DB Adryan Adams (36 tackles), DB Kylie Hill (37 tackles and 1 interception) and DE Eddrick Gilmore (21 TFL).

Top returnees: QB Riley Dodge (1,975 passing yards and 9 touchdowns), DB DaWaylon Cook (56 tackles), RB Lance Dunbar (17 touchdowns and 1,378 rushing yards) and LB Craig Robertson (107 tackles).

Strengths: Junior running back Lane Dunbar will lead the Mean Green rushing attack. Dunbar was a first-team All-Sun Belt selection in 2009. The Mean Green were No. 2 in rush offense behind Middle Tennessee State. Junior cornerback Royce Hill leads the secondary. Hill had 31 tackles and one interception last season. He sat out spring practice with a shoulder injury but he will be back this summer.

Weaknesses: Since Riley Dodgeâ€s switch to receiver, the quarterback position is wide open between senior Nathan Tune and sophomore Derek Thompson. Dodge said that the decision on who is the No. 1 QB will not be determined until the fall.

Outlook: North Texas heads into the summer without establishing a No. 1 quarterback, but Dodge was happy with his squad as spring practice concluded.

â€I was really pleased,†Dodge told the Denton Record-Chronicle. â€We have grown so much as a football team and have so much more competition and care on this team about the 2010 season. Itâ€s like night and day from any point that I have been here. Itâ€s a great feeling.â€

North Texas has a three crucial three-game home stretch against conference foes Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State and FIU beginning Oct. 2. The Mean Green immediately head into a tough three-game stretch beginning Nov. 6 against the top three teams in the Sun Belt from 2009 †Troy, Middle Tennessee State and the University of Louisiana-Monroe.

The rest of the countdown:

View the full article:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=435956

Edited by NT80

So, according to this article, Tobe was not a key loss. And then I am supposed to believe his research and projections?

I assumed he is not counting Tobe because he was gone before the end of the season.

BTW, http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52244&view=findpost&p=485797 and http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52193&view=findpost&p=485484

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Well it goes without saying this is not a good sign. But being the Mean Green optimist I am I will say this. What if UNT wins just two of the games that it let slip away last season, remember there where 6 games lost by seven points or less. There are two of those six that have really got to0 me more than the most, Army and Ohio. We had Ohio on the ropes many many times, and if Micheal Outlaw can catch just one of the two balls he droped in the endzone UNT wins(one in the 4th and one in the first OT) but I don't put the loss just on him, the D can't allow a team to score on 4th and 20, and Nathan Tune can't throw a pick six with a four point lead in the 4th quarter. And remember Ohio won 9 games last season and played for the MAC title. The Army game; Riley throws three picks and has a fumble inside the Army 20, but saying that, the Army game was lost by some awful game mangement in the last few minutes and some not so cluth kicking,(hopefully Zach Olen will make that a non issue next season). My point being if UNT wins just those two games I beleive they are looked at alot different going into the fall. I truly believe this team is much better than 113 in the nation, and I truly believe that it will be proven next season, am I a Mean Green homer? yes, but that doesn't change the fact that UNT has 19 starters coming back and a new top notch OC. 7 wins plus I really believe it!! Who's with me?

Nine wins.

I chug the kool aid of the Mean Green variety like the rest of this board, but I do believe "Nine wins" would be over the top. You've gone from one of the most negative people on this board to past optimistic. You've explained your reasoning before, but I don't see the additions of some coaches (we could have hired Stoops/Caroll/Brown/Tressell in the offseason and I don't think the would have the kind of effect you're expecting from coach Chico.

I expect positive changes, but not 9 wins.

• Upvote 1

I chug the kool aid of the Mean Green variety like the rest of this board, but I do believe "Nine wins" would be over the top. You've gone from one of the most negative people on this board to past optimistic. You've explained your reasoning before, but I don't see the additions of some coaches (we could have hired Stoops/Caroll/Brown/Tressell in the offseason and I don't think the would have the kind of effect you're expecting from coach Chico.

I expect positive changes, but not 9 wins.

Don't doubt.

• Upvote 2