North Texas' Blueprint For A .500 Season

Pretty impressive writeup, looks at each game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/390950-blueprint-for-a-500-mean-green-season

Note: Don't forget to click the "Begin Slideshow" button at the bottom. It's not just pictures, it's where he discusses each game.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Makes some excellent points. Especially good write-up on the D side and special teams. Loved the look at the game by game situations. Yes, Mean Green fans, there is plenty of reason to hope for a 6 win (maybe more) season. No matter what, it's going to be great to be in the stands for six home games this the last year in the venerable old Fouts Field. Let the memories flow, but let the victories be this year!

"UNT will be far more talented than last year's team."

I agree, on paper that defensively UNT should be better barring any key injuries. However, Tobe Nwigwe was the heart and soul of this defense when the team was competing in games and is there really anyone at the LB spot who can replace that?

I also take issue of this team being better on this one VERY key point. We all know that Lance Dunbar is a tremendous talent. However, Lance benefited from Riley's ability to present such a running threat at the QB position. None of the quarterbacks we have right now can match this even though they do present their own individual strengths. What concerns me the most about this season is that teams are going to shadow Lance and try to take him completely out of the game.

If Riley was back this season, I would not take issue with the statement. The problem is we roll out two QB's who have what 2-3 starts between them? That's a tough scenario for any coach including Dodge.

"UNT will be far more talented than last year's team."

I agree, on paper that defensively UNT should be better barring any key injuries. However, Tobe Nwigwe was the heart and soul of this defense when the team was competing in games and is there really anyone at the LB spot who can replace that?

I also take issue of this team being better on this one VERY key point. We all know that Lance Dunbar is a tremendous talent. However, Lance benefited from Riley's ability to present such a running threat at the QB position. None of the quarterbacks we have right now can match this even though they do present their own individual strengths. What concerns me the most about this season is that teams are going to shadow Lance and try to take him completely out of the game.

If Riley was back this season, I would not take issue with the statement. The problem is we roll out two QB's who have what 2-3 starts between them? That's a tough scenario for any coach including Dodge.

I think Lance will be fine. Teams now have to respect our ability to throw more than 10-15 yards at a time. Plus, and I don't think this can be stressed enough, the reduced turnovers at the QB position will keep drives alive and the D out of bad spots. Honestly I think way too much is made of the "running QB". How many times did Scott Hall or Drew take off running...and how tough were the yards to gain for J-Mo or Cobbs?

I think Lance will be fine. Teams now have to respect our ability to throw more than 10-15 yards at a time. Plus, and I don't think this can be stressed enough, the reduced turnovers at the QB position will keep drives alive and the D out of bad spots. Honestly I think way too much is made of the "running QB". How many times did Scott Hall or Drew take off running...and how tough were the yards to gain for J-Mo or Cobbs?

But what if quarterback turnovers are increased? Can this be stressed more?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good point Emmitt. Doing a better job of throwing vertical down the field will be key to this season. I think our QB's have the arm strength to give us that threat.

Am I the only one who thinks the Rice game is NOT a gimme? I am fully expecting UNT to enter that game as an underdog. It would be a fantastic guage of where we are though. If we can beat Rice, then we should look for a 6-6 or 7-5 type season. If they beat us pretty bad, then more of the same... 3 wins max.

If we lose to Rice, you predict Dodge will have his best season ever?

Good thing we won't lose to Rice.

What I find amusing is the writer's calling several games "trap" games. Really?? A trap game for a 2 win team?? Funny.

I do like his emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. You know, the side (along with special teams) that was god awful last year.

We will be an underdog to Rice (deservedly so, barring a miracle at Clemson). Same with Army and FAU. Funny that he has us winning every single one of these games.

This is junk-food sports blogging. You know, it tastes really good, but in the end, it is horrible for you.

• Upvote 2

What I find amusing is the writer's calling several games "trap" games. Really?? A trap game for a 2 win team?? Funny.

I do like his emphasis on the defensive side of the ball. You know, the side (along with special teams) that was god awful last year.

We will be an underdog to Rice (deservedly so, barring a miracle at Clemson). Same with Army and FAU. Funny that he has us winning every single one of these games.

This is junk-food sports blogging. You know, it tastes really good, but in the end, it is horrible for you.

Teams have to learn how to win. After the way we finished last year, plus the past three seasons of combined agony, I just don't see a 3-1 start. But, that's why we play the games!

If we aren't at least .500 by the end of the 4th game I think we just might as well put an end to the Todd Dodge era.

No reason we shouldn't beat Rice,Army & have a chance vs FAU.

a 1- 3 or 0 -4 start is just unacceptable IMO

A good start can build some much needed confidence in these kids and who knows how many wins we could reel off , another poor start would just demoralize this team.

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

For some reason I wasn't able to see the slideshow beyond Clemson but I didn't see anything in the article that I disagreed with.

This coming season is largely in the lap of Mike Nelson. Can he teach the talent that he has has to be effective? I still have my doubts. Does he have the talent to befin with? I think that it's good enough to win six or seven games if they can play anywhere near their potential.

The line is undersized only with AK and Obi counted on for major roles. Four tackles are 300+ and the other two are around 290. The other defensive ends that should be counted on range from 245 to 285 and that's big enough if they have quickness and strength.

Our offense has been good enough to win at least four games in each of Dodge's seasons. They have averaged 47th nationally the last three seasons with their worst being at #57. On the other hand, the defense has averaged #110 with last season being their best at 97. In 2008, they were dead last of the 120 teams.

We should be fine in the other areas. There are question marks on special teams but I think that we have adequate talent

I wish that we could have seen Gaines and Miller this spring and we might have a better feel for the adequacy of the defensive line this coming season. I'm thinking that they will be as advertised and we'll have a six or better win season. Hope springs eternal before the first game is played.