4 Troy Players Off The Team, 5Th Suspended

“(Scholarships) are a one-year deal,” Blakeney said. “All of those guys were non-performers academically, attendance-wise and on the field and it all carried over.”

Wow. I don't think I've ever heard a coach say, "Scholarships are a one-year deal." I have to wonder if oversigning didn't force them to find a way to make room(?)

Scholarships are a one-year deal. They are essentially grants-in-aid that are either renewed or not year to year. There are no "four year scholarships" in college football.
Lonnie is right. Dickey used to honor the full four years for guys and I think part of it was due to selling their high school coaches on UNT as a good option. Of course, UT and A&M could do it all day long with no complaints from the high schools.  In my mind, if you aren't living up to your responsibility on or off the field, you are not entitled to 4 years regardless. However, where this gets dicey is the good kid who is doing everything he can but just isn't able to help the program. Those are tougher decisions to make.

Lonnie is right. Dickey used to honor the full four years for guys and I think part of it was due to selling their high school coaches on UNT as a good option. Hogwash, if you aren't living up to your responsibility on or off the field, you are not entitled to 4 years regardless. However, where this gets dicey is the good kid who is doing everything he can but just isn't able to help the program. Those are tougher decisions to make.

I can't help but think that if these guys were able to make an impact for them, that they would still be around. Instead, they need to make room for their oversigned class. This is probably the mindset of every outsider to the Troy program when they oversign.

Scholarships are a one-year deal. They are essentially grants-in-aid that are either renewed or not year to year. There are no "four year scholarships" in college football.

Unless you have God given Talent. Says so in the fine print.