Meanwhile, the left wing faction is trying to make it the fault of Republicans. See the original post of this thread for an example.

And didn't just about everything get blamed on Bush for the last 8 years, even crap that had nothing to do with the office of President? Sucks being in the Big Boy Chair sometimes, doesn't it?

That's because it is the fault of the Republicans. Meanwhile here is a "centrist" view of the situation.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/05/07/2172887/spill-baby-spill.html

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

That's because it is the fault of the Republicans. Meanwhile here is a "centrist" view of the situation.

http://www.star-tele...baby-spill.html

How, exactly, is this a huge disaster the fault of the republicans? Drilling is a dangerous business, a society is going to have to understand that if they want to consume so much energy, AND PLASTICS, they are going to have to run this risk. Or, like I have said several times before, we can ship it off to other countries, like Nigeria who has at least one huge spill a year. This is the first major spill in the gulf by an american company in over 40 years of drilling.

Ed Wallace is also making his oppositions points for them. The drill here, drill now people knew how long it takes to get a working well going, and wanted the laws change to reduce that time. He also throws in a lot of "mays" in there, equipment "may" be found faulty, people "may" be found negligent. He "may" know what he is talking about. He seems to know not much about the actual operation. They had set the first concrete plug, they had set up the loop back blow out preventer, they had set up the clamp down blow out preventer, they where in the process of backing drilling mud out of the well in order to put on a second concrete cap, which isn't required by law, just to be doubly safe.

It looks like this formation just had an incredibly large amount of natural gas, which is found at almost every single well formation, they had been getting heavy kicks on the bit the entire way down, but everything seemed to have stabilized. However, something went wrong, maybe the the concrete set incorrectly, maybe there was a break in the pipe, maybe the pressure was so great that it blew the first concrete cap out of the way.

The gas pressure was so intense it blew out all of the drilling mud and water, out of FOUR MILES OF PIPE, and blew it 200 feet above the derrick mast. Then, being heavier than air, it settled upon the rig in such large quantities that it forced itself into non spark safe areas of the rig. Then it exploded.

Silver, even for you this is a bit much. Come on, next you'll be telling us yesterday's tornado in Oklahoma was somehow the fault of the Republicans. Perhaps you jest just to get a reaction? devil.gifshocking.gif

Anyone who blames anyone for this and other oil spills better not have the following:

a gasoline powered car

electricity

anything made of plastic

a bicycle that does not have a rusty chain

a wagon without a squeaky wheel

Look in the mirror to find who is at fault. You and me.

This reminds me of the time people DROVE THIER CARS to the Exxon building here in Houston to protest the Valdez incident. That was their oil on the birds and otters.

• Upvote 2

Wait a minute. BP donated to Obama more than any other politician. Obama gave the green light for more offshore drilling. Just a few weeks later this happened.

Coincidence? Why does Obama hate the Gulf Coast so much?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's because it is the fault of the Republicans.

Obama has been president for a year and a half. Democrats have controlled Congress since 2006. They've had a filibuster-proof majority since Jan 2009.

If they wanted to stop offshore drilling or impose heavy regulation, they could have done it by now. Your party is full of spaghetti-spined politicians who don't have the sack to make the changes they promised to make.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Obama has been president for a year and a half. Democrats have controlled Congress since 2006. They've had a filibuster-proof majority since Jan 2009.

If they wanted to stop offshore drilling or impose heavy regulation, they could have done it by now. Your party is full of spaghetti-spined politicians who don't have the sack to make the changes they promised to make.

Both parties are "spaghetti-spined". They're all politicians... it goes with the territory. Talking in circles. Posturing. It's what they do.

• Upvote 4

Anyone who blames anyone for this and other oil spills better not have the following:

a gasoline powered car

electricity

anything made of plastic

a bicycle that does not have a rusty chain

a wagon without a squeaky wheel

Look in the mirror to find who is at fault. You and me.

This reminds me of the time people DROVE THIER CARS to the Exxon building here in Houston to protest the Valdez incident. That was their oil on the birds and otters.

At least equal parts of it anyway.

And we don't need oil to get electricity.

Yep, Americans want their means of transportation to be big, comfortable......and cheap. Even though there are many oil disasters similar to this around the globe, we don't seem to care until it starts directly effecting us....or at least is right in our faces.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

---Making anything political of this event is stupid.

---Platforms in the Gulf have been there for years and during many administrations. This is even not close the Katrina ( no company had any responsibly for that, government was the one group most responsible for solving the problems that existed). The government could not get involved much with this one because.... they do not the expertise or equiptment to stop this type of disaster once it has occured. They have to let oil companies solve the problem. About all that could have been done is have better oversight on drilling platform activities (maybe). ... and that means any administration in the past sixty years. Personally I was surprised to learn that the ocean bottom was 5000 feet below the surface. Repairing any problems at that depth is unbelievable difficult. If you want to make something political of it... then someone should have forbid drilling in water of that depth... and again... that permission was apparently given a long time ago. One of the items mentioned lately on opening some areas to off-shore drilling was that the water was rather shallow... (whatever shallow means to them).

--- I guess this again proves what is thought impossible is possible. BP claimed they thought this event could never happen. They apparently forgot to ask the question that math/science/engineers should always ask.... "WHAT IF".... and have some answer for it if it does..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looks like the only one trying to "spin" in this thread is you. You are somehow trying to make this a Republican/Conservative problem. Last I checked, everybody in America, with the exception of maybe Ed Begley, Jr., uses oil and natural gas and wants it cheaper. The way you make it cheaper is to increase supply and try to decrease demand. Since our population continues to rise and we consume more and more electricity, I doubt we can do anything other than slow the growth of demand.

Accidents happen. Oh well. Sorry about the little fishies and the fisherman, but again things happen. There are over a half million producing wells just in the U.S. and I read one estimate of 30 million wells worldwide. That's 30 million wells pumping oil 24/7. The number of accidental spills considering the scope of production is miniscule. But for some reason, you want to jump up and down on your soapbox like a madman and make this political. I don't get it at all.

When your job ends I will say sorry about your job!

What do you not get? It is still not capped! As for the 30 million wells how many are in the Gulf?

Underwater? Where we have to send robots to work?

Maybe you answer the question of we all use Oil? Yes because no one in the world is able to invent a hybrid or electric car. Or do politics play a factor in how policy is set????

What do ya think? And no it is not a Republican problem, it is a people problem. American people. Do you think any oversite has been given to this issue during the Oil reign of the Cheney presidency? Why are you so quick to protect your boyfriends Bush, Cheney, Halliburton, Blair, BP.

They are paying out the ass for this spill but guess what .... They will all still turn a profit via your wallet. So keep on supporting all the conglomerates you want.....One day it will hit your wallet.

By the way is it capped yet???????????? Poor family fisherman. so sorry. I wonder if Cheney will earn 30 million as a retired CEO this year?

Ok off my soapbox, but really come with some gusto next time! Pathetic!

• Downvote 3

Nice job BP...no sense in investing in Green Energy...We have Oil Reserves floating all around us. Potential negative impact on Gulf Coast Economy is going to be enormous.

Hopefully a war will break out or something.

I am sure BP will pony up for this disaster. Or will the tax payer...huh!!!

Nice job of making light of an explosion that killed 11 hard working people busting their ass to provide for their family.

Don't worry, the right wing faction will find a way to make it all Obama's fault. Even though the difference between Katrina and this disaster is that there was plenty of warning (it's called watching it on radar) about Katrina and there wasn't any forwarning about this. Plus BP initially said that they had it covered.

Dude are you freaking serious? Ok, I'll bite, yeah, we have warning about Katrina. And the Louisana Governor and the New Orleans Mayor had the responsibility to evacuate people. And when they didnt get it done, they refused to let Bush send in the National Guard in a timely manner. Bush should have overstepped them and sent them in anyways. But then people like you would bitch that Bush was a tyrant.

Silver, even for you this is a bit much.

Do you not remember his little rant from last summer?

Coincidence? Why does Obama hate the Gulf Coast so much?

Because the south likes Bush and "George Bush hates black people." Or so we've been told.

Nice job of making light of an explosion that killed 11 hard working people busting their ass to provide for their family.

F you!!!!

Speaking of making light! The other riggers who got off were made to sign a waiver that they were not hurt and held for 12 hours while they watched the rig go down. Friends were dying! So if you want to point out who is making light it is the damage control team of Halliburton and BP who are trying to minimize their lawsuits. So the next time you front someone out on people dying look who caused it....

and again with all due respect watch your mouth!

For the record. I have respect for every person on this planet. My heart goes out to anyone who loses a family member or friend in any situation.

War, Coal mines, Oil rigs, non health-care coverage, whatever....

So I say again , nice job BP. In honor of hard working people. I say it for those workers. And for all Americans who have to deal with the fallout of this situation!

• Downvote 4

eeally;

I really don't understand an "# you" being followed up by telling someone else to watch their mouth. If you think such language helps make your point, you are sadly mistaken.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4

ame='eeally' date='20 May 2010 - 08:39 AM' timestamp='1274362750' post='486467']

eeally;

I really don't understand an "# you" being followed up by telling someone else to watch their mouth. If you think such language helps make your point, you are sadly mistaken.

You are right. My apologies to Rudy! F me for making light of 11 people and their loss. That was my intention and Rudy is the only one who picked up on that. Kudos for reading between the lines because that is what I meant when I said this was a problem for BP.

What I should of started with is 11 families are morning at the colossal mess up of BP, Halliburton, and Transocean!

Maybe their loss can benefit the industry as a whole. I do want more regulation and when you look at the safety records of these companies it is safe to say that they should be the enemies of the state and the lawyers who try to minimize the damage and Fox News who has not done one story on the tragic loss. Well it just gets me going!

It really is not about anything other than if you are going to poke a hole in the ocean floor. Then have a plan to contain and evacuate! Or don't drill there.

I applaud the Wildcatters and entrepreneurs of the world but the cost of this is going to be enormous.

I have not heard yet! Have they capped the well?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes because no one in the world is able to invent a hybrid or electric car. Or do politics play a factor in how policy is set????

There are hybrid cars on the road right now!

Electric cars are not the answer. You do know how electricity is made, right? With oil and natural gas powered production plants.

The reason why the electric car has not been embraced by the world is because we don't want $900 electric bills, and we'd like to drive our cars farther than 200 miles without stopping for an 8-hour refueling.

Why are you so quick to protect your boyfriends Bush, Cheney, Halliburton, Blair, BP.

My God... Bush hasn't been President for a year and a half, and Obama got a truckload of money from BP. Why aren't you blaming him, hmm? And Haliburton... gee, that were just given a no-bid contract by Obama and company.

You are such a hypocrite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

At one point I might have enjoyed arguing with someone here about how we got to this point and what could be done now, but I just don't have the heart for it. Still, I have strong disagreements with anyone who says such incidents are just part of our energy future, or "stuff happens". This is just a tragedy of epic proportions, not only for those men who have lost their lives and their families, but for those hoping to make their livelihood by fishing and tourism, as well as the environmental toll, of which the extent will not be known for a very long time.

The irony of this is twofold. First, the environuts have prevented the U.S. from building any new nuclear reactors for over 30 years now, increasing our dependence on oil, gas, and coal to produce electricity. Second, the anti-offshore drilling crowd has succeeded in pushing drilling further and further from the coast to the point that this well is over a mile down to the ocean floor, making it much more difficult to contain. Being so far out, it is also much more likely to pollute the Loop Current and ruin the beaches of Florida and the Carolinas.

There are always unintended consequences.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The irony of this is twofold. First, the environuts have prevented the U.S. from building any new nuclear reactors for over 30 years now, increasing our dependence on oil, gas, and coal to produce electricity. Second, the anti-offshore drilling crowd has succeeded in pushing drilling further and further from the coast to the point that this well is over a mile down to the ocean floor, making it much more difficult to contain. Being so far out, it is also much more likely to pollute the Loop Current and ruin the beaches of Florida and the Carolinas.

There are always unintended consequences.

And as a result of the spill, there is talk to push drilling even further out from the coast, thus most likely making the depth even greater.

F me?? F you! F all of us! :P

These oil companies actually work very hard to ensure saftey for all of the rig workers, anyone living nearby, and protect the enviroment. Is it always perfect, no. Im always seeing scientists and environmentalists coming in and out of well sites long before they begin drilling. Accidents can always happen, and thats just what this was, an accident.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1