Some Football Notes From Brett V

SUMG

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/04/a-couple-of-football-notes-1.html

I like the look of the two-deep coming out of spring. Craig Robertson should be on the brink of a breakout for his swan song season. The defensive line may have seemed disheveled at times during the spring, but it looks deeper than it's been in awhile. Cook and Smith back at safety. Questions at corner mainly, but I trust in Carlton Buckels to have the thing ready.

The offense looks really good. Starting with the O-line, experience all over the place. The top six receiving leaders are back and should thrive even moreso in Canales' offense. I was pleased to see a South Florida wide receiver taken in the draft. His offense, then, is doing enough to get guys noticed by the pros.

Overall, I feel 180 degrees different about this thing than I have since 2005 coming off the four consecutive conference championships and bowls. This thing has the look of a winner if the guys can really do the off-season work during the dog days of summer to prepare for it.

I've felt ever since we signed him that Zach Orr might be our MLB of the future. (because he has the size for it). Anyway, it looks like if they're bringing him in for summer school...he more than likely will get playing time this year. (I'm guessing). I wouldn't think that you would summer school a guy if you were considering redshirting him.

Edited by SUMG

The only thing surprising about the first team is there are absolutely no surprises, including not naming a first team QB. The fall newcomers may change a few first teamers, but it will really alter the second squad. The second team named did have a few minor surprises, Dodge and walk on Jones ahead of last year's starter and long distance threat Outlaw. Franklin, Noble and Fortenberry ahead of Bean and Flax on the offensive line.

On the defensive side, certainly not unanticipated, but Cantly again being tried at DE. I wonder if this is just a function of no numbers at the position in the spring and Owusu-Hemeng staying in the dog house, or is there still a strong feeling that this is where he should play. Herron and Anyiam not in the two deep is a little disappointing.

I hope Tobe at least gets a shot.

Kinda surprised to see Boutwell in the 2-deep already. There was alot of praise around him last year on signing day. I wonder if he'll still be there once the Juco transfers from Cali get here.

"once the Juco transfers from Cali get here.". Hate to sound cynical, but I just had an Alonzo Horton flashback.

I'm a little surprised to see Michael Outlaw dropped all the way out of the 2-deep.

I don't think they had players on the 2-deep that did not participate in spring ball.

That is the reason Royce Hill isn't on the 2-deep. I think you can plan on seeing plenty from Mike Outlaw