Couple Thoughts On The Draft

emmitt01

It makes our fan base look retarded when you two say things like that. I assume that you are trying to push buttons, because this is not a rational line of thought.

1. Why?

2. Does calling each other retarded not make our fan base look retarded?

3. Who's fan base are we trying to impress?

4. Ryan Leaf was a better college quarterback than Colt. Disagree and you're retarded.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Colt McCoy was the winningest QB in college football history. How can you even compare him to Leaf?

Though I feel pretty strongly that McCoy vs. Leaf is the most unnecessary sports argument happening almost anywhere right now, I'm somehow compelled to chime in. While I agree that people tearing down McCoy's achievements or character just because they hate the logo on his helmet is silly, I also DON'T think it's off the rails crazy to argue Leaf was as good or better as a college QB. I think Leaf being Jamarcus before Jamarcus has tainted some of his legacy.

Some thoughts -

McCoy started for four seasons, Leaf for two. They each lost 8 games in their college career, so you can argue that Leaf lost twice as often - that said, Leaf was also playing at WASHINGTON STATE. The Coogs hadn't been to a Rose Bowl for 67 years before Leaf took them there, and had a history of mostly futility. They are one of the lowest profile, lowest funded teams in their conference, and have only managed to so much as qualify for 3 bowl games in the 13 years since Leaf left. Meanwhile, McCoy took over at a storied program coming off a national championship with essentially unlimited funds and facilities, surrounded by the best talent available. The number of NFL players surrounding McCoy is staggering... not so with the mostly mid-range bunch around Leaf... and while you might say Texas played OU, etc. in that time, WSU played SC, Arizona State, etc.

In his best statistical season, Colt McCoy averaged 297 yards passing and 2.6 TDs per game. In Ryan Leaf's best season, he averaged 331 yards passing and 3 TDs per game. They each ended the season with a loss with the national title on the line...one at Texas, one at Washington State.

McCoy definitely has Leaf in the completion percentage category - At his best, McCoy completed passes in the low-mid 70s percentile, a ridiculous number. Leaf generally completed passes in the mid-high 50s range.

That said, over each of their best two seasons, McCoy threw almost 10 passes per game MORE than Leaf, a considerable number - yet Leaf averaged 34 yards more per game. One made a living of very accurately throwing short, the other racked up big plays at a much more frequent clip. Despite getting so many more yards per attempt and per game, Leaf wasn't much more prone to turning the ball over than the low yards per pass safe style often employed by McCoy - over this same span, McCoy threw .77 INTs per game, Leaf .9.

This is not to belittle McCoy in any way - I've got nothing against him, think some of the comments here were crazy, and I think most people (myself probably included) would take him over Leaf to start a college team. But I'm just saying to those who so quickly dismiss this argument as ludicrous - Ryan Leaf was one hell of a college QB. I'd have LOVED to have seen what he could have done with Texas talent and Texas resources. It's a fair debate. No retard-calling necessary.

• Upvote 4

Bill Wennington has more NBA titles than Karl Malone, Charles Barkley and Dirk Nowitzki combined. That means something right?

As much as it pains me to join step with the national association of unnecessary, unchecked and unbridled Texas hate:

David Greene had the winningest QB record before Colt. Anyone besides Georgia fans care?

In fact, I'd argue that if you're the winningest college QB (regardless of school) and your national title/Heisman mantle is empty, either you were overrated or your coaching staff let you down.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2

Today is giving me an enthusiasm for GMG participation that I haven't felt since basketball season ended.

That's how I feel about football whenever I read a Tobee Rights article.

• Upvote 1