Dominos Starting To Fall ?

MeanGreen61

Best UNT could hope for would be for TCU to move to the Big 12 then for the MWC to scramble and grab UTEP which would leave a hole for UNT to go to CUSA.

If and thats a BIG IF this all happens then I think UNT would fill UTEP's spot nicely because of location, school size, market value, ect. But then again Cowherd has been wrong MULTIPLE times, so take it with a grain of salt.

Best UNT could hope for would be for TCU to move to the Big 12 then for the MWC to scramble and grab UTEP which would leave a hole for UNT to go to CUSA.

If and thats a BIG IF this all happens then I think UNT would fill UTEP's spot nicely because of location, school size, market value, ect. But then again Cowherd has been wrong MULTIPLE times, so take it with a grain of salt.

We could sure hope for a lot more. The best that you could reasonably expect is a different thing entirely.

not a good move. they will first see if mizzou bolts too. think byu and louisville as replacements.

Both are out of the geographic footprint that they are interested in. Not sure who they add, but I would at least rule out BYU. I doubt that the Big 12 wants to add another private school.

tcu cant fill its stadium with a top 10 team now. too small a fan base.

See my point above, small private schools don't hold a lot of value to the Big 12.

not a good move. they will first see if mizzou bolts too. think byu and louisville as replacements.

BYU? Not a chance in hell. Denver is twice the size of Louisville. They wouldn't be a bad choice, but that takes the Big XII out of a media market they've owned forever and they're not a natural rival for anyone except Missouri.

BYU is not your typical small private school. They bring in 60K in football and fill arenas and bowl game stadiums wherever they go. They almost double the following of Baylor and travel en mass even at away games during a regular season. If they were in the Big 12 it would go something like this:

Texas

OU

Nebraska

Texas A&M

BYU

K State

OSU

Texas Tech

Missouri

Kansas

Baylor

Iowa State

I also think UNT needs to begin formulating a multitude of plans, 1 expanding the SBC another a trip into CUSA, another a trip into MWC.

If BSU leaves for the MWC does La Tech begin to toy with the SBC? If the MWC gets gutted does a UNM become and or NMSU become available. What if UNM, UTEP, La Tech and NMSU be lured to an SBC West. I think UTEP to MWC and NT into CUSA would be ideal. If TCU leaves why not make a ploy to continue to MWC footprint in the Metro by adding NT?

Hey you have to believe it before you can be it. You also need to be prepared for anything.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Didn't UTEP quit the MWC to join CUSA ?

BYU is not your typical small private school. They bring in 60K in football and fill arenas and bowl game stadiums wherever they go. They almost double the following of Baylor and travel en mass even at away games during a regular season. If they were in the Big 12 it would go something like this:

Texas

OU

Nebraska

Texas A&M

BYU

K State

OSU

Texas Tech

Missouri

Kansas

Baylor

Iowa State

I also think UNT needs to begin formulating a multitude of plans, 1 expanding the SBC another a trip into CUSA, another a trip into MWC.

If BSU leaves for the MWC does La Tech begin to toy with the SBC? If the MWC gets gutted does a UNM become and or NMSU become available. What if UNM, UTEP, La Tech and NMSU be lured to an SBC West. I think UTEP to MWC and NT into CUSA would be ideal. If TCU leaves why not make a ploy to continue to MWC footprint in the Metro by adding NT?

Hey you have to believe it before you can be it. You also need to be prepared for anything.

GMG

Arkansas to Big 12 Florida State to the SEC. Arkansas is tired of getting their butts kicked, and they want to get back to having a presence in Texas. The two Floridas are ready to be in the same conference. And the dominoes begin...

If I were FL St. I would absolutely shy away from joininig the SEC. They would go from priviledged in a respectable conference, to the doormat of a very tough conference.

Good thought on Arkansas, but I think they've made it known that they do not want to part with the SEC.

If this is true, then I see it playing out this way.

The MWC will add Boise State. The Big 12 will probably take Colorado State. I think the North division will have a large say in adding a team from their region. Sorry Houston, but the Big 12 South teams don't want to fight you for the top Houston recruits. The state of Colorado is already familiar with Big 12 games being on TV, and I don't think the Big 12 wants to invest money building up a new market, in this economy.

I think the MWC will add UTEP because they are the best avalable option in their region. Yes, I think UTEP did leave the MWC to join C-USA, but when that happened, the two conferences were not all that different. Now the MWC is a more highly thought of conference, and I think UTEP would jump at the chance to play BYU, Boise, and NewMexico. New Mexico is alomst like adding another home game every other year.

The question becomes, who would fill the open spot in the C-USA west? I think it would be between UNT and LA Tech. We have an emerging mid-major basketball power, and are building a new $78 million football palace. Most of our athletic facilities are new, and we have designs and a location, for building a new baseball stadium in the next few years. And we have DFW. What does LA Tech have? I like our chances, becuse I don't think SMU will have enough support to keep us out, should they want to. Between NT and LA Tech, I think Tulsa, Rice, and Houston would all support us.

If this is true, then I see it playing out this way.

The MWC will add Boise State. The Big 12 will probably take Colorado State. I think the North division will have a large say in adding a team from their region. Sorry Houston, but the Big 12 South teams don't want to fight you for the top Houston recruits. The state of Colorado is already familiar with Big 12 games being on TV, and I don't think the Big 12 wants to invest money building up a new market, in this economy.

I think the MWC will add UTEP because they are the best avalable option in their region. Yes, I think UTEP did leave the MWC to join C-USA, but when that happened, the two conferences were not all that different. Now the MWC is a more highly thought of conference, and I think UTEP would jump at the chance to play BYU, Boise, and NewMexico. New Mexico is alomst like adding another home game every other year.

The question becomes, who would fill the open spot in the C-USA west? I think it would be between UNT and LA Tech. We have an emerging mid-major basketball power, and are building a new $78 million football palace. Most of our athletic facilities are new, and we have designs and a location, for building a new baseball stadium in the next few years. And we have DFW. What does LA Tech have? I like our chances, becuse I don't think SMU will have enough support to keep us out, should they want to. Between NT and LA Tech, I think Tulsa, Rice, and Houston would all support us.

I believe that UTEP came from the WAC, not the MWC. I'm also not too sure that the BIG 12 would even consider CSU. Sure Ft. Collins is close to the Denver media market, but I suspect most in the Big 12 think of CSU as being "beneath" them. On the other hand, I guess there aren't a whole lot of other options if they go for a school in the northern region. Kind of depends on how things shake out.

I believe that UTEP came from the WAC, not the MWC. I'm also not too sure that the BIG 12 would even consider CSU. Sure Ft. Collins is close to the Denver media market, but I suspect most in the Big 12 think of CSU as being "beneath" them. On the other hand, I guess there aren't a whole lot of other options if they go for a school in the northern region. Kind of depends on how things shake out.

You are correct. UTEP came from the WAC. MWC is superior to both CUSA and WAC. I wouldn't understand how any one would pass up an invite from them since they are closest to the big 6. See example in TCU.

You are correct. UTEP came from the WAC. MWC is superior to both CUSA and WAC. I wouldn't understand how any one would pass up an invite from them since they are closest to the big 6. See example in TCU.

I personally like us to the Big 12, although it's a pipe dream.

I would understand TCU because they've proven with 11 winning seasons in the last 12 that they aren't a flash in the pan. Plus, since 2005, they've taken down Oklahoma, Iowa State (bowl), Texas Tech, and Baylor (twice); so, they've proven that they can compete there. I doubt they'd continue winning 10+ games a season in the Big 12, but they'd likely be bowl bound every year. Their attendance would be jacked up, too, because of all of the Big 12 alumni in the metroplex.

(Again...I wish I was writing these things about us...but for...many things, not worth discussing anymore [Oh! For a bigger stadium!])

Geographically, it seems like Arkansas would be the best fit to join the Big 12, but they're already in the best conference in the country.

What would sting - SMU or Houston getting into the Big 12.

This is all great discussion, but there are A LOT more factors that play into the conference re-alignment than performance of the football program. Geography, media market, academics, media contract(s), facilities, fine arts, athletic program financials, etc. all go into the equation among other factors.

Colorado and Utah to the Pac 10. Okay, so that leaves 1 opening in the Big XII north and 1 opening in the MWC. I'll say Arkansas to the Big XII North and Nevada and/or Boise State to the MWC. I don't see any other schools in the region of the country being a draw to the Big XII other than Arkansas (who's somewhat of an 'outsider' in the SEC because of geography). So there's still an opening in the SEC West. Florida has so much power and say-so that Fla State won't get in. I could see a Clemson getting in and re-drawing the west and east divisions.

What would sting - SMU or Houston getting into the Big 12.

Those two are even more of a pipe dream than us getting in, no matter what some CUSA board posters think. Unless, for some reason, UT-Austin and A&M leave the conference, it gains absolutely nothing by adding Houston. They have outdated facilities and their location is redundant. NT has better facilities, more potential, and at least offers schools a Dallas recruiting visit every other year. I'm not saying we're a likely candidate, but UH people are off base, and SMU people are dreaming.

Give us a few years of licking the wounds on our football program, let us get closer to getting the state funding for research, and establish a baseball program. After that, we start to look a lot better for any future power conference expansion.