Hard to believe the Mavs went out to the 7th seed...and so "wimply out" as well. What is it with these guys and the playoffs. Crawford was a ref last night, so that excuse is gone. Man, 8 points in the first quarter has got to get some folks wondering. Hard to imagine. But, it is the way it generally goes with the Mavs.

Will Dirk go? I might consider it if I were Dirk. How many more shots will he get, and the guy deserves to play for a team really serious about winning a championship, not just having a great regular season record and then tanking in the playoffs. If Dirk, as much as I might hate leaving Dallas, I would have to consider a move to a real contender...which it continues to appear the Mavs are not when there is something really on the line.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out, but I am sure we will hear all kinds of theories from the "experts". Let the excuses begin!

Ithink that a bunch of the problem is coaching.... RC just got out coached by Pop last night and throughout this series. RC was afraid to play Roddy B and when he did play he produces on both ends of the floor! So of course after the Mavs actually come all the w2ay back and even take the lead for a minute the obvious choice is to put in Jet and sit the spark plug that ignited your run for the REST OF THE GAME!!!!!! Piss poor coaching by RC last night and throughout the series, inexcusable and needs to change.

Blow up the roster, get rid of Rick Carlisle, Jet, Kidd, Damp, JJ Barea etc. Keep Dirk and Roddy B then make decisions about Butler and Haywood. Then go grab one of these other guys available this off season and give the Mavs a new look and a new attitude,if we get rid of Kidd we have an opening at the PG slot and Chris Paul has to leave NO because they can't afford him anymore... Maybe if we get another superstar type guy in here then Dirk won't have to do everything anymore, hell maybe Roddy B will become one of those superstars. what we have isn't working and it needs to change.

Last night hurt to watch.

I just think it was a bad opponent for the Mavericks. San Antonio is way better than your average 7 seed. Some past years meltdowns(like Golden State a few years back) are pretty unforgiveable, but I don't think this one is on that level. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs make the Western Conference Finals.

JJ and Damp are gone - with Damp's expiring contract being one of your main chips for a sign-and-trade. Terry's god-awful contract is tough, but hopefully he can somehow be number friendly to make a deal work for someone.

The worst part about last night wasn't Terry's shooting, it was how the Spurs just passed the ball patiently until they could pick Terry apart with whoever his guy was.

Kidd is still great and showed that for 2/3rds of the season, but wore down because Carlisle rode him so hard all year (and had the flu). Cut his minutes and share them with Roddy B with Kidd more actively mentoring him, bring back Gooden, re-sign Heywood and then take your chances in the trade market this summer for someone else. The window is closing, but it is very much within reason for this team to put together a summer that keeps them as a top four seed for next year.

Oh, and if Dirk opts out, I'll immediately follow his new team until he retires.

• Downvote 1

JJ and Damp are gone - with Damp's expiring contract being one of your main chips for a sign-and-trade. Terry's god-awful contract is tough, but hopefully he can somehow be number friendly to make a deal work for someone.

The worst part about last night wasn't Terry's shooting, it was how the Spurs just passed the ball patiently until they could pick Terry apart with whoever his guy was.

Kidd is still great and showed that for 2/3rds of the season, but wore down because Carlisle rode him so hard all year (and had the flu). Cut his minutes and share them with Roddy B with Kidd more actively mentoring him, bring back Gooden, re-sign Heywood and then take your chances in the trade market this summer for someone else. The window is closing, but it is very much within reason for this team to put together a summer that keeps them as a top four seed for next year.

Oh, and if Dirk opts out, I'll immediately follow his new team until he retires.

Lets hope he doesn't but big ditto on that one.

I don't think there is a better pg tutor for Roddy B than Kidd, but he just spared us to death all game last night and for much of the series as well. maybe he just needs a finisher, someone to go up and get the ball at the rim. I thought that was going to be Butler but unless he plays out of his mind that won't happen. I am nervous about bringing Kidd back though... especially is CP3 is available.

San Antonio? Lakers?

I've always been willing to make big German babies with the guy, but if he opts out and ends up in one of these two places I don't know if my love for Dirk supersedes my hatred of Duncan and Kobe

bring back Gooden

I'm all about this, I really thought we'd be able to sign him back after the trade.

Someone's gotta be willing to take most of JET's pay, right? At least we're FINALLY out from under Damp's contract. Anyone know how much longer we're paying Matt Carroll a god awful amount to ride the bench?

One thing is for sure, Cuban won't let the offseason go untouched. I'd love to see Bosh get here somehow, someway.

San Antonio? Lakers?

I've always been willing to make big German babies with the guy, but if he opts out and ends up in one of these two places I don't know if my love for Dirk supersedes my hatred of Duncan and Kobe

Gagree. No way in Hades he leaves, but if he hit one of those spots (or Miami), I can't root for them. The dude is my favorite basketball player of all time, but I have limits.

huh. apparently I called this (sort of) back in July.

http://www.ntmescan.com/2009/07/marion-to-mavs.html

The thing is I don't think Dirk has the talent to defend like KG or Duncan or Shaq. It isn't in him. He is a scorer. That is cool. You can win with a scorer, still. You have two choices in that situation: you either compliment the hell out of him and try to outscore everyone (a la Nellieball) or you plug the gaps. That 2006 Finals team did the best job of both. They still could score like those early 2000s teams but they had a fresh commitment to defense. I don't know if you could say that they had any elite defenders on that team but Avery got them to play D hard. Those years post-Nelson were the sweet spot. They choked and then it was hard to get non-defense-oriented dudes to play that hard again. I don't know if Marion is enough to get them to defend like that again and I don't know if the thirty year old versions of Marion and JKidd are enough firepower to outscore the Lakers.

Prediction: 50 wins or so and another second round ouster. Marion with 15 ppg 8 to 10 rpg. Lots of rave 'resurgence' stories.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Downvote 1

huh. apparently I called this (sort of) back in July.

http://www.ntmescan....on-to-mavs.html

The thing is I don't think Dirk has the talent to defend like KG or Duncan or Shaq. It isn't in him. He is a scorer. That is cool. You can win with a scorer, still. You have two choices in that situation: you either compliment the hell out of him and try to outscore everyone (a la Nellieball) or you plug the gaps. That 2006 Finals team did the best job of both. They still could score like those early 2000s teams but they had a fresh commitment to defense. I don't know if you could say that they had any elite defenders on that team but Avery got them to play D hard. Those years post-Nelson were the sweet spot. They choked and then it was hard to get non-defense-oriented dudes to play that hard again. I don't know if Marion is enough to get them to defend like that again and I don't know if the thirty year old versions of Marion and JKidd are enough firepower to outscore the Lakers.

Prediction: 50 wins or so and another second round ouster. Marion with 15 ppg 8 to 10 rpg. Lots of rave 'resurgence' stories.

Really? You came up with the opinion that Dirk's not a great defender all the way back in July of last year? We need to get you hooked up with BleacherReport.com! I honestly think you could do for the NBA what Tobi does for the Mean Green!

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2