Last Scholarship Filled Monday Or This Week ?

MeanGreen61

No offense to him, but I was really hoping for one of the bigger name transfers. It would be much more helpful to have someone who will sit out next year and then soften the blow when most of the team graduates...just my two cents.

I'll defer to JJ. If he's the one he wants to use his last scholarship on, I'm all for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No offense to him, but I was really hoping for one of the bigger name transfers. It would be much more helpful to have someone who will sit out next year and then soften the blow when most of the team graduates...just my two cents.

Agree. I feel a bit of a let down.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'll defer to JJ. If he's the one he wants to use his last scholarship on, I'm all for it.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the sub 40% shooting last year and the poor assist/TO ratio. I just don't see what need he fills and how it plays into the future?

If neither of those other guys was a legitimate option, then maybe this is the best we can do.

Edited by meangreenacct
  • Upvote 2

If true...I dig.

Carmouche is a hard-nose player, good defender who rebounds very well for a guard his size and can play either the 1 or the 2...no UNT90, he's not a true point guard, but he's more than capable.

As for his shooting percentage...no not stellar, however when Billy Humphrey went down for the season Carmouche was the one called upon to take on the bulk of the scoring load, frankly, because no one else on his team could. He took nearly 100 more shots than anyone else on the team while teams game planned around stopping him. His percentage, btw, is comparable to Brandon Reed at ASU...and he shot better from 3.

A/T...again, not stellar, but typical for a scoring wing.

This makes us significantly better and deeper for next season, while at the same time helping bridge the gap once this senior class graduates. Our depth next season is ridiculous, while a Carmouche-Williams-McGhee backcourt foundation is still one of the best in the conference for 2011.

Maybe Blair follows?

I'd love to have had Babb or Morgan...and I'm sure JJ would've too and he fully explored those avenues...but I think we'll see in the next few weeks or months that landing either was a bit of a pipe dream...Babb b/c of his talent, Morgan b/c of his ego.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If true...I dig.

Carmouche is a hard-nose player, good defender who rebounds very well for a guard his size and can play either the 1 or the 2...no UNT90, he's not a true point guard, but he's more than capable.

As for his shooting percentage...no not stellar, however when Billy Humphrey went down for the season Carmouche was the one called upon to take on the bulk of the scoring load, frankly, because no one else on his team could. He took nearly 100 more shots than anyone else on the team while teams game planned around stopping him. His percentage, btw, is comparable to Brandon Reed at ASU...and he shot better from 3.

A/T...again, not stellar, but typical for a scoring wing.

This makes us significantly better and deeper for next season, while at the same time helping bridge the gap once this senior class graduates. Our depth next season is ridiculous, while a Carmouche-Williams-McGhee backcourt foundation is still one of the best in the conference for 2011.

Maybe Blair follows?

I'd love to have had Babb or Morgan...and I'm sure JJ would've too and he fully explored those avenues...but I think we'll see in the next few weeks or months that landing either was a bit of a pipe dream...Babb b/c of his talent, Morgan b/c of his ego.

UNT recruit a pure point guard? I've given up hope. wink.gif

I agree with most of what you said, although I worry about throwing another turnover prone guard into the mix a little more than you. I agree that Babb was a pipe dream, but I was really hoping that the UNT connection would come through for Morgan.

A man can dream, right?

• Upvote 1

UNT recruit a pure point guard? I've given up hope. wink.gif

I agree with most of what you said, although I worry about throwing another turnover prone guard into the mix a little more than you. I agree that Babb was a pipe dream, but I was really hoping that the UNT connection would come through for Morgan.

A man can dream, right?

His season high for turnovers was 5 and he did that 4 times. By contrast, Josh had 5 games of more than 5. Again, talent around him has to be considered.

His season high for turnovers was 5 and he did that 4 times. By contrast, Josh had 5 games of more than 5. Again, talent around him has to be considered.

Agree. And I would also say that he should get a break for playing out of position at point due to injuries, but since we continually play people out of position at point, no break given. smile.gif

I've already -1ed myself, so no one else has to.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 9

If he ends up coming here he appears to be a shorter less talented version of Collin Mangrum. Carmouche fouled out of six games last year and hasn't shot free throws well at all (.613 from the line last season).

I hope we do better with the last scholarship left. I think we can do better too.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Agree. I feel a bit of a let down.

I tend to agree. I would rather see JJ get another big man. Don't we have enough guards? No offense to Knox, but he's another clumsy tall white guy ala Justin Howerton. What do we have? George Odufuwa, Kedrick Hogans, Cam Spencer, Jacob Holmon ... three, four guys? What happens when they get in foul trouble? Then we put the clumsy guy in? I don't like it. I also think we need some freshmen to use those scholarships on.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I tend to agree. I would rather see JJ get another big man. Don't we have enough guards? No offense to Knox, but he's another clumsy tall white guy ala Justin Howerton. What do we have? George Odufuwa, Kedrick Hogans, Cam Spencer, Jacob Holmon ... three, four guys? What happens when they get in foul trouble? Then we put the clumsy guy in? I don't like it. I also think we need some freshmen to use those scholarships on.

Agreed. We need to sign at least 3 more 7 footers. Why does JJ keep signing short people?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And 6'8" 245 Alonzo Edwards.

The roster has 6 bigs and 7 guards...this team plays 2 bigs and 3 guards at a time. By these numbers were actually deeper up front...plus 4 of them will be back in 11-12, whereas without Carmouche there'd be only 2 guards.

Bring in a freshman and you're going to be counting on a sophomore to be a significant part of the 11-12 team.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

And 6'8" 245 Alonzo Edwards.

The roster has 6 bigs and 7 guards...this team plays 2 bigs and 3 guards at a time. By these numbers were actually deeper up front...plus 4 of them will be back in 11-12, whereas without Carmouche there'd be only 2 guards.

Bring in a freshman and you're going to be counting on a sophomore to be a significant part of the 11-12 team.

Your math is correct, in essence JJ is replacing his loses in kind, two wings, one post. The problem I have though is that I would rate every guard on the squad higher than the second front court player. The guard position is loaded with experience, potential and talent. After Odufuwa, there is potential in the front court; but little more than that. Hogans has shown great hustle but as a sophomore was not close to starter quality. Spencer is a good rebounder and did slim down and improve his quickness, but has little offensive game. Holmen is loaded with potential but played behind Spencer last year because of poor shoot selection and below average rebounding and defense. Edwards is an unknown coming off a questionable juco year. Knox has upside because of his height but is a work in progress and didn't show anything last year.

• Upvote 1

OOps! Army of Mom, I'm surprised the die-hards here did not give you a free pass for this first-time offense. Lesson learned: Don't mess with the Fort Knox!

• Upvote 1

OOps! Army of Mom, I'm surprised the die-hards here did not give you a free pass for this first-time offense. Lesson learned: Don't mess with the Fort Knox!

Yeah, clearly (as a newbie) I got smacked upside the head for voicing my humble opinion. *shrug* People get vicious on here, don't they? I meant no offense to anyone, just wondering out loud ... just wondering if Ben's family populates the forums. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, clearly (as a newbie) I got smacked upside the head for voicing my humble opinion. *shrug* People get vicious on here, don't they? I meant no offense to anyone, just wondering out loud ... just wondering if Ben's family populates the forums. smile.gif

Vicious! I always love when someone prefaces his statement with "no offense, but" type statement, you know someone is about to get blasted. You didn't think labeling someone a "clumsy , tall white guy' would get some reaction? Have you seen Knox play? He is tall and white but I think he moves well for a 6'10 player and has a good stroke.

FYI, I have no relationship with Knox, at all. I do know that seldom does a team like NT get a legit ready to play 6' 10 player out of high school. Those types go to the Dukes, UT's or directly to the pros. You will notice that it is common for teams to recruit players like this in hopes that they will mature into players and the benches are full of them. The reason is, if that player does develop then you have a player that could be a real difference-maker for your program. I saw enough out of Knox last year to believe that he could be more than just a role player for NT in the future.

There are a lot of people salivating about Morgan coming here, his record thus far in college is not significantly better than Knox and he was a five star can't miss player out of high school. Yes, I know there is a difference in playing in the PAC 10 and Belt, but you are now dealing with potential with both players.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Vicious! I always love when someone prefaces his statement with "no offense, but" type statement, you know someone is about to get blasted. You didn't think labeling someone a "clumsy , tall white guy' would get some reaction? Have you seen Knox play? He is tall and white but I think he moves well for a 6'10 player and has a good stroke.

FYI, I have no relationship with Knox, at all. I do know that seldom does a team like NT get a legit ready to play 6' 10 player out of high school. Those types go to the Dukes, UT's or directly to the pros. You will notice that it is common for teams to recruit players like this in hopes that they will mature into players and the benches are full of them. The reason is, if that player does develop then you have a player that could be a real difference-maker for your program. I saw enough out of Knox last year to believe that he could be more than just a role player for NT in the future.

I didn't think it was blasting him, personally. But, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions. As a season ticket holder, I have seen Ben play. Not much obviously as he didn't get that much time. He's a fine young man from all of the times I've seen him off the court, too. I'm hoping he'll mature into the type of player you're talking about, too. All I was saying is that I'd like to see UNT recruit some high school graduates in addition to or instead of mostly JUCO transfers. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1