Who's Your Qb Coming Out Of Spring?

It would be interesting to find out who people think should be the QB coming out of spring practice and why.

I'll personally say #7 Derek Thompson because he has a great amount of ability, can make all of the throws, does a good job of buying time in and out of the pocket, and I look at things long term (meaning that we need a 3 year starter at QB if him and Tune are even in the coaches eyes). Yesterday Thompson did a better job of sustaining drives and eating up yards in segments, rather than just going for the homerun. He also, seemed to make less risky throws (ie late over the middle of the field) than Tune. I'll take Thompson, and say that we'll score 32 points/game this fall with him leading the charge.

• Upvote 3

It would be interesting to find out who people think should be the QB coming out of spring practice and why.

I'll personally say #7 Derek Thompson because he has a great amount of ability, can make all of the throws, does a good job of buying time in and out of the pocket, and I look at things long term (meaning that we need a 3 year starter at QB if him and Tune are even in the coaches eyes). Yesterday Thompson did a better job of sustaining drives and eating up yards in segments, rather than just going for the homerun. He also, seemed to make less risky throws (ie late over the middle of the field) than Tune. I'll take Thompson, and say that we'll score 32 points/game this fall with him leading the charge.

I'd have to say Thompson.

I consider them pretty even in passing but Thompson is more mobile and a better runner. I also feel that Thompson exhibits more leadership...he seems to play to win while Tune plays to 'not lose'. Experience is one place where Tune has the advantage. He seems a little better at spotting the open man.

The margin at this time is pretty close but I believe that Thompson will improve with experience whereas with Tune it's pretty much what you see is what you'll get.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

I've been watching Tune since his high school days but I'll give credit where credit is due. I thought Thompson looked very good yesterday. He seemed to play with poise and his passes where sharp. He just seems to have "it", kind of like Scott Hall.

Who is this #10 (Dodson?), and where did he come from?

Thompson

I didn't catch any of the spring practices or game, but I think he gives us the best chance to win in the future years getting a year under center and growing with the team.

This logic makes perfect sense if we weren't in a make-or-break year. That's why, for now, I have to go with Tune. Barely.

Dodge can't be looking at the future this year.

They are both good. If we had to play Clemson on Saturday I would tap Nathan for experience and poise in big games, which will be needed if you believe the report from Clemson's spring game. I see Clemson's defense licking their chops at the thought of teeing off on an inexperienced quarterback. Derek needs to be given PT over the course of the season before he takes the reins. Derek IS the future ... but we have to win now. I don't know if he can get enough seasoning in our scrimmages. Just my opinion.

Tune. I'm don't want to take anything away from Thompson but at this point all we have is one series in a throw away game last season and a spring against a defense that we know won't really "bring it" because he's their teammate. With Tune I know that he has at least faced Alabama, troy and some time against others in "live" play. All I'm saying is it's far easier to be a practice all-star...unless Thompson is head and shoulders above I'd go with the experienced signal caller.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think we'll be fine with either, but I have to agree with Emmitt here...unless Thompson is "head and shoulders" (and not the shampoo variety) better than Tune coming out of "fall ball", I think you go with Tune. If Tune stumbles you always have Thompson to fall back on and its possible that Tune starts as #1, but Thompson ends the season as #1...I hope Tune gets the nod as he is a senior and has stayed with the Mean green when other departed, and has filled in well when given the opportunity. Thompson should see plenty of playing time in 2010, but at this point I think it is as s #2 to Tune.

By the way, Emmitt...are you playing in the GMG.com Bowl this year? I have sent you a couple of PM's....do you check your PM's? Just wondering.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Tune. I'm don't want to take anything away from Thompson but at this point all we have is one series in a throw away game last season and a spring against a defense that we know won't really "bring it" because he's their teammate. With Tune I know that he has at least faced Alabama, troy and some time against others in "live" play. All I'm saying is it's far easier to be a practice all-star...unless Thompson is head and shoulders above I'd go with the experienced signal caller.

How was the wedding?

The wedding was really nice...as was the bachelor party. Enjoyed New Mexico immensely. I also though, and those that have traveled with toddlers can back me up on this, am happy to be home.

Yes sir, traveling with a toddler more than 1-2 hrs can turn into a National Lampoon's Movie.

I see Tune starting the Clemson game, with Thompson coming in when the game is out of reach for some late game experience with no pressure. From Rice on, I think Thompson will be the guy. Nothing against Tune, but Thompson is the future and will be given the opportunity from the 2nd game forward. Guaranteed (Why not, I'm on a hot streak).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

If Tune starts put me down for another 2 win season. Tune, already has a throwing style of short pass or run to get snacked. Regardless of Experience, if my job was on the line I say go with the new QB. Least this way we will have two experienced QB for the next coach.

If Tune starts put me down for another 2 win season. Tune, already has a throwing style of short pass or run to get snacked. Regardless of Experience, if my job was on the line I say go with the new QB. Least this way we will have two experienced QB for the next coach.

Tune is a senior!