The Rangers Are In First Place!

Short story: Bacsik is out at a bar, drinking to excess (which is apparently out of character for him) and sharing this information on his Twitter page.

After the game ends, he (apparently a longtime Mavs superfan) posts something congratulating 'all the dirty Mexicans in San Antonio' (Not a direct quote, I don't want to look it up and that's the gist of it).

San Antonio is up in arms over it. Bacsik is suspended. Then, Bacsik is fired.

The moral of the story is not to show sportsmanship to dirty people of any ethnicity. Only congratulate the clean ones. Or, better yet- Don't single out any specific ethnic group within a city for special congratulations. Just say "way to go!" to everyone, be they white, black, hispanic, asian, aboriginal, inuit, or anything else you can imagine.

So if a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup this year, don't congratulate all the dirty white people who live in that team's city. Because while fatties need love, too... People who don't adhere to modern standards of hygiene do not deserve specific congratulations.

I'll miss Bacsik if for no other reason than I don't trust Sean Bass to explain what should be done about Chone Figgins whenever we have a series with the Mariners.

Mariners series starts tomorrow...

NOT A COINCIDENCE! Ask this guy!

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 1

Short story: Bacsik is out at a bar, drinking to excess (which is apparently out of character for him) and sharing this information on his Twitter page.

After the game ends, he (apparently a longtime Mavs superfan) posts something congratulating 'all the dirty Mexicans in San Antonio' (Not a direct quote, I don't want to look it up and that's the gist of it).

San Antonio is up in arms over it. Bacsik is suspended. Then, Bacsik is fired.

The moral of the story is not to show sportsmanship to dirty people of any ethnicity. Only congratulate the clean ones. Or, better yet- Don't single out any specific ethnic group within a city for special congratulations. Just say "way to go!" to everyone, be they white, black, hispanic, asian, aboriginal, inuit, or anything else you can imagine.

So if a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup this year, don't congratulate all the dirty white people who live in that team's city. Because while fatties need love, too... People who don't adhere to modern standards of hygiene do not deserve specific congratulations.

I'll miss Bacsik if for no other reason than I don't trust Sean Bass to explain what should be done about Chone Figgins whenever we have a series with the Mariners.

Moral of the story:

Stay away from freaking twitter. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY 24/7!!!! Unless, of course, you say something really stupid.

Same for facebook and Myspace.

Isnt GMG.com enough?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Moral of the story:

Stay away from freaking twitter. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY 24/7!!!! Unless, of course, you say something really stupid.

Same for facebook and Myspace.

Isnt GMG.com enough?

Here's the really fun part about a media personality getting fired over a twitter post... At many outlets (not the Ticket, as far as I know, though I assume it's encouraged) "social media" participation is a compelled part of the job. Some places force their talent to maintain a facebook and/or twitter presence, and interact with viewers and listeners. Other places strongly encourage it.

I know of at least one place in town where management was openly asking why Talent X had so few followers on twitter compared to Talent Y from the same company.

I'm not saying that it happened to Bacsik, and in fact there's no reason to interpret that his twitter activity was anything other than a personal hobby. But, it's only a matter of time before someone in a similar job gets fired over something they twitter, blog, or facebook update, even though they never wanted to use the utility that ultimately led to their firing.

When that does happen, it should make for an interesting lawsuit.

Here's the really fun part about a media personality getting fired over a twitter post... At many outlets (not the Ticket, as far as I know, though I assume it's encouraged) "social media" participation is a compelled part of the job. Some places force their talent to maintain a facebook and/or twitter presence, and interact with viewers and listeners. Other places strongly encourage it.

I know of at least one place in town where management was openly asking why Talent X had so few followers on twitter compared to Talent Y from the same company.

I'm not saying that it happened to Bacsik, and in fact there's no reason to interpret that his twitter activity was anything other than a personal hobby. But, it's only a matter of time before someone in a similar job gets fired over something they twitter, blog, or facebook update, even though they never wanted to use the utility that ultimately led to their firing.

When that does happen, it should make for an interesting lawsuit.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but didn't MLB just prohibit its writers from Tweeting about anything other than baseball?

I like Twitter as an information gathering source and a place to shout into a vacuum publicly to JayDub, Aztecskin, CaribbeanGreen, FilmerJ and a handful of others, but an RSS feed and unlimited texting can do just about the same for me, and not get me fired.

I'm fascinated by the backlash and even contraction of social media and, as a person who walks a line between calling it all bullshit in an industry that slobbers over it, will be glad to see it continue to contract.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but didn't MLB just prohibit its writers from Tweeting about anything other than baseball?

I like Twitter as an information gathering source and a place to shout into a vacuum publicly to JayDub, Aztecskin, CaribbeanGreen, FilmerJ and a handful of others, but an RSS feed and unlimited texting can do just about the same for me, and not get me fired.

I'm fascinated by the backlash and even contraction of social media and, as a person who walks a line between calling it all bullshit in an industry that slobbers over it, will be glad to see it continue to contract.

yes

Like I said, being a)a mescan b)from SA c)a haver of humor d)an annoyed-by-bascik's voice, I:

thought it was a bad joke from a guy on a station that tries to be funny and provocative. I am all for second chances and thought he was probably a scapegoat and woulda been cool with just a suspension. Like I said via twitter, I really couldn't care less and will not and was not up in arms for either side.

as for SA up in arms? eh. Fodder for news, 'nother thing for people to hate about the Rival, something for Mike Taylor, media et al to talk about.

go spurs.

Fodder for news, 'nother thing for people to hate about the Rival, something for Mike Taylor, media et al to talk about.

is this the failed, short lived 103.3 spare who did tickers and filled in on the occasional weekend or whatnot? Tell me he's not the barometer for SA sports talk... That's like Ty Walker becoming the biggest thing in Houston or somesuch.

is this the failed, short lived 103.3 spare who did tickers and filled in on the occasional weekend or whatnot? Tell me he's not the barometer for SA sports talk... That's like Ty Walker becoming the biggest thing in Houston or somesuch.

lol. dunno dude. I heard him on 1033 like all of three times. Have heard him do gametime react for spurs a couple times this playoffs, and like all of 2 hours of sports talk san antonio. I don't hate him. You can tell he wants to duplicate some Ticket stuff.

Also, not to take serious-guy role from UNT90 n co but, Jim Rome was a traffic guy once upon a time. /serious guy.

and SA sports talk is horrible. has been for years. those that have tried, including some UNT grads know what crap there has been there.

go me.

Edited by aztecskin

And this thread lives up to its name!

Careful, they could be back to last place after the Oakland series.

That said, they have gotten away with a crappy start, now lets see if they stretch this lead a little.

13-12 and in first place. This is why I think 87 games wins this division.

Today was a great example of the club winning despite Wash. Terrible move today to ph Vlad for Max Ram instead of Garko, who was today's DH. That one move forces Treanor to play today after catching 22 innings already this weekend. Luckily Muprhy was able to come through and Elvis gave the team some great AB's and a key SB.

CJ kept doing what he do (to quote Wash). The bullpen was great. 4IP no runs, 2BB, 4K's. Solid. Feliz picked up a save on his b-day. 1st place bitches. Let's go sweep Oak.

Careful, they could be back to last place after the Oakland series.

That said, they have gotten away with a crappy start, now lets see if they stretch this lead a little.

13-12 and in first place. This is why I think 87 games wins this division.

Bold prediction: We'll be up 5 by June

Things are going to pick up in the division and the Angels will not stay down forever, but I think 90 will get this done. The May and June schedule for us is (seemingly) super-soft, but the second half of July and August looks like a real beotch.

And yes, I often stare at my wall calendar wistfully at work.

• Upvote 1

And daydream of a consistent offense?

Could you imagine being an M's fan right now? All that pitching and they've scored 25 runs less than us...

• Upvote 1

Say what you will about Juan Gonzalez, but I completely support his logic for enjoying Cleveland fans more than Texas fans.

"I saw what a passionate fan is … . They involved themselves in the game in the heat of the moment, they involved themselves in the game. In Cleveland, they fall in love with their ballplayers. But a lot of people see us just as machines that produce," Gonzalez said.

"In Texas, after the George W. Bush group left, that changed. … In Cleveland, I saw Jim Thome averaging .090 and he got a standing ovation. That place was different."

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/columns/story?id=5161715

The only way I would have enjoyed his take more is if he added "and trade Thome fer sem' pitchin'! Yeehaw!"

• Upvote 1