The Rangers Are In First Place!

• 4 weeks later...

It’s time to wax poetic about the 2010 Texas Rangers.

There is something about seeing the words Rangers and World Series that still mystifies me. Despite going to Game 3 I still am having a hard time grasping the concept that the Texas Rangers were at the pinnacle of baseball.

This season has surpassed all expectations, even those of the most eternally optimistic fans. When Vlad Guerrero’s face appeared proclaiming “Es Tine” people scoffed. Optimists pointed toward Rich Harden anchoring the rotation, Scott Feldman’s 17-win season the year before, a plethora of young catching talent that was sure to break through eventually, and Chris Davis would return to 2008 form. Pessimists made light of the back end of the rotation being anchored by a washed out former prospect and an inconsistent reliever, pitchers figuring out Josh Hamilton, and an aging DH who was on his last legs.

No one could have predicted what happened this season, and I’m sure I speak for all Rangers fans when I say, thank you.

Thank you, Elvis Andrus, for another year of exhilarating defensive plays and stepping up your game when the lights shined their brightest.

Thank you, Nelson Cruz, for your boomstick.

Thank you, Vlad Guerrero, for single handedly beating the Angels and being an absolute monster in the first half of the season.

Thank you, CJ and Colby, for proving everyone wrong.

Thank you, Rich Harden, for finally getting launched into the sun.

Thank you, Mitch Moreland, for restoring balance to the blackhole that was first base.

Thank you, Bengie Molina, for two of the greatest/most unexpected baseball moments I have ever seen.

Thank you, Matt Treanor, for being the MVP(?).

Thank you, David Murphy, for making the most out of your playing time.

Thank you, Darrens, for being so consistent.

Thank you, Chris Davis, for giving me your origami seal at Pizza Hut.

Thank you, Michael Young, for making me feel like I could be a professional baseball player again.

Thank you, Dustin Nippert, for being the punch line of bullpen jokes even after taking a line drive to the head.

Thank you, Michael Kirkman and Alexi Ogando, for two of the most incredible journeys to the majors I have ever read.

Thank you, Tommy Hunter, for drenching that velvet-wearing douche, Sagar.

Thank you, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, for starting this season off with a bang 178 long games ago.

Thank you, Ian Kinsler, for the FIGJAM skipping after hitting that bomb against the Rays.

Thank you, Cliff Lee, for breaking bats and melting faces. Even if this is your last season as a Ranger.

Thank you, Josh Hamilton, for being the best baseball player I have ever set my eyes on. I hope there will be more MVPs and Gold Gloves in your future (assuming you get both).

Thank you, Wash, for somehow being so damn likeable despite all the crazy in-game things you do and for teaching me about the ever-mysterious booty hole.

Thank you, Chuck and Nolan, for getting Tom Hicks the hell away from this team.

And most of all thank you, JD. What you did this year was nothing short of incredible. For years you touted 2010 to be the year of the Rangers and, despite your many criticisms in the beginning, you delivered this town something to be incredibly proud of.

• Upvote 4