The Rangers Are In First Place!

Make no mistake. Ian Kinsler loves the fact he hit 30 bombs last season. With the surge of power at the position throughout the league, he feels that he needs to keep up in order to demand Chase Utley money down the road. I hope he will be more of a team guy when is healthy, but I expect another parade of flyouts in 2010. Wash batting him 6th will not discourage his crap approach.

I thought you had a winning "3-wood" line today that went unappreciated.

Willing to bet money the Rangers get swept today. Facing another Lefty in Andy Petite. This offense sucks period, even worse against southpaws. Prove me wrong Rangers....prove me wrong.

Starting to get unexcited about the season already. And it's only mid-April.

Maybe it's just the rain.

Starting to get unexcited about the season already. And it's only mid-April.

Maybe it's just the rain.

Or the fact that our one major offseason acquisition cant get out of the freaking 4th inning of a game to save his life?

Can we call up the Dutch Oven and move Hardin to the pen yet?

Edited by Green P1

Or the fact that our one major offseason acquisition cant get out of the freaking 4th inning of a game to save his life?

Can we call up the Dutch Oven and move Hardin to the pen yet?

I understand the urge to want Holland up here, but him getting the ball every 5th day and learning how to become a professional starting pitcher is huge right now. Who knows what JD will do, but I will be irked if he is up here before June with other options out there like McCarthy and eventually Hunter.

Is it too early to "call the season" for the Rangers?????? OK, getting swept by the Yankees is nothing new and the Rangers are not the only team to be treated to such a series in the last few seasons, but, I mean...even for a casual observer, the Rangers looked helpless against the Yankees.

Just when I was thinking I'd pay a little closer attention to baseball my Cardinals have to play a 6+ hour game and the Rangers get swept by the Yankees.

Pitching, pitching, pitching...man, it is always the same song for the Rangers. And now it seems to be no hitting and sloppy fielding to go along with the "no" pitching thing. I'm thinking that combination won't get you very far in the "bigs".

Maybe the next Ranger game will get rained out and they can have a victory party! laugh.gif

OK, in all seriousness, I think the Rangers have the players (and, yes, that includes pitching) to "right this sinking ship" before too much damage is done. But, I think a few changes may be in store if that is to happen...maybe starting with the manager. Was that "drug thing" a bit more of a distraction than everyone thought?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Was that "drug thing" a bit more of a distraction than everyone thought?

Yes.

It also has angered the baseball gods (yes, the one sport where they do exist). The gods were very much on the Rangers side last year. I have a feeling that it will be completely different this year and completely blame Ron Washington's cocaine nose (or lungs, whichever the case may be) for this occurrence.

We are all about to witness a big demonstration by that all-powerful force... Karma.

Edited by UNT90

Is it too early to "call the season" for the Rangers?????? OK, getting swept by the Yankees is nothing new and the Rangers are not the only team to be treated to such a series in the last few seasons, but, I mean...even for a casual observer, the Rangers looked helpless against the Yankees.

Just when I was thinking I'd pay a little closer attention to baseball my Cardinals have to play a 6+ hour game and the Rangers get swept by the Yankees.

Pitching, pitching, pitching...man, it is always the same song for the Rangers. And now it seems to be no hitting and sloppy fielding to go along with the "no" pitching thing. I'm thinking that combination won't get you very far in the "bigs".

Maybe the next Ranger game will get rained out and they can have a victory party! laugh.gif

OK, in all seriousness, I think the Rangers have the players (and, yes, that includes pitching) to "right this sinking ship" before too much damage is done. But, I think a few changes may be in store if that is to happen...maybe starting with the manager. Was that "drug thing" a bit more of a distraction than everyone thought?

And this gets "negative" points, while a comment like "the Rangers suck again" goes unmolested...sometimes the gods are not aligned properly, and sometimes folks are crazy!rolleyes.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It's because people hate you.

Good to know that you have the answer. Thanks for that. biggrin.gif And, coming from one of the most "loved" posters on this board it means that much more to me.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

Should we change the title thread to "Your Last Place Rangers"???? OK, it's a joke....just trying to have some fun after the boys pulled a boner last evening against the Red Sox. Seems they are finding more ways to lose than to win these days...but, the season is young. You have to believe the bats will come around, the injuries will heal and the pitching will be enough!

Hang in there Ranger fans, the Fat Lady ain't singing yet!

Edited by KRAM1

Should we change the title thread to "Your Last Place Rangers"???? OK, it's a joke....just trying to have some fun after the boys pulled a boner last evening against the Red Sox. Seems they are finding more ways to lose than to win these days...but, the season is young. You have to believe the bats will come around, the injuries will heal and the pitching will be enough!

Hang in there Ranger fans, the Fat Lady ain't singing yet!

I've been scarce lately, but I have to point out your amusing obsession with +/-. I got on earlier to post a Ron Washington rant and saw that your post had backfired. Then, you show up, + yourself and send GGB a -. That's comedy gold. THE RATINGS DON'T MATTER. PLEASE DON'T MAKE THEM INTO A THING. I didn't trust Greeks or Kings before they rose to the top of the rankings and I certainly don't trust them now.

Back to the thread, I'm incapable of taking about Ron Washington without salty language and swearwords (I filled a friends VM with my swearing last night), but suffice it to say that he needs to back uphis hobo bag and move out of the bowels of the Ballpark.

As LSB pointed out last night, it has been one week since Feliz has thrown a pitch, so he'll be extra fresh the next time we're trying to preserve a lead with a few outs to go in the 8th. Kill me.

With a stable owner situation, Ron W. would be fired this week and Smoak would have been up last year and ready to produce while Davis still had trade value. A manager who could handle a bullpen without falling in love with Darren Oliver would also be tremendous.

Just enjoying the +/- thing and seeing it for what it is. Sorry that what I do or don't do seems to bother you so much. I have advocated against the +/- thing as I felt it would become just what it has, but I do get some "jollies" out of messing around with it. You have your "joys" on the board, I have mine. Folks do some "interesting" things when they think they are anonymous. That's why I let any and all know who I really am and enjoy meeting other GMG.com posters in "real life". Some just seem to avoid that possibility so they can continue to post in anonymity, no problem at all. To each his/her own.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just enjoying the +/- thing and seeing it for what it is. Sorry that what I do or don't do seems to bother you so much. I have advocated against the +/- thing as I felt it would become just what it has, but I do get some "jollies" out of messing around with it. You have your "joys" on the board, I have mine. Folks do some "interesting" things when they think they are anonymous. That's why I let any and all know who I really am and enjoy meeting other GMG.com posters in "real life". Some just seem to avoid that possibility so they can continue to post in anonymity, no problem at all. To each his/her own.

Why is real life in quotes? Is it some sort of hypothetical life?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Im starting to think this sale won't go through. If it doesnt, how long before the Rangers become the new KC Royals and enter baseball invisibility?

Enter? One postseaon victory in... franchise history kind of indicates that you are already there. At least KC fans have:

The 1981 World Series loss to the Phillies

The 1984 ALCS loss to the Detroit Tigers

The 1985 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP over the Cardinals, which included rallying from 3-1 deficits in both the ALCS and the World Series (including being down 1-0 in the bottom of the 9th of the 6th game of the series, only to rally to win 2-1).

The Rangers have:

A 6-2 victory over the NY Yankees in the franchises 1st ever playoff game. After that? 9 straight playoff losses to those same NY Yankees.

Another great playoff memory was the idiot that ran onto the field in the top of the 9th of game 2 of the 96 series. Completely broke Darren Oliver's rhythm (he had been untouchable since the 1st) and led to a 2 run Yankee 9th, leading to a 3-2 loss. I was there. It sucked.

The Rangers also are:

one of only three current MLB franchises which have yet to appear in the World Series (the others are the Seattle Mariners and the Washington Nationals), and the oldest active MLB franchise yet to appear.

the oldest franchise in all the four major American pro sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL) to have never appeared in the league's championship, as well as the only Dallas-Fort Worth area team yet to do so.

the only current MLB franchise which has yet to win a playoff series.

So basically, in the terms of baseball relevance, the Rangers would give their left nut to be the Royals. The Rangers are, BY FAR, the least relevant team in major league baseball history.

Edited by UNT90