With Spring training underway this week, I thought this a good time to call on all of those that folllowed this team last year on GMG.com for some predictions.

I see a 3 way struggle for the West crown between Texas, Seattle, and the Angels. Any one of the 3 could win this division.

Thoughts?

Edited by UNT90

I like the additions that we made in the offseason, and outside of cutting ties with Millwood I am a fan of our pitching staff too. If the guys that stepped up last year can prove to be the real thing and not a one year fluke then we have a real shot at winning the division, or at the very least being a huge player in the wild card race. I still think that the Angels have one up on us, but we are gaining ground pretty quickly.

I say 92 wins and a wild card birth into the playoffs.

I like the additions that we made in the offseason, and outside of cutting ties with Millwood I am a fan of our pitching staff too. If the guys that stepped up last year can prove to be the real thing and not a one year fluke then we have a real shot at winning the division, or at the very least being a huge player in the wild card race. I still think that the Angels have one up on us, but we are gaining ground pretty quickly.

I say 92 wins and a wild card birth into the playoffs.

I am going to disagree. We lost a fair number of guys that were contributing. We did not keep pace with Seattle or the Angels. I see this as an 80 or so win team. And, even if we can find 90 wins, the wild card still comes from the East.

I think the Angels lost enough (and didn't add enough) to bring them down to within reach for the Rangers. Unfortunately, the Mariners made some nice moves and will be right in the race as well.

I think it all hinges on 5 key questions:

1. Will the Starting Pitching staff improve from last year? - It's almost expected with all of the youth in there. Can Feldman at least duplicate last year's performance? Will Harden stay healthy?

2. Will the bullpen come together? - A healthy Ray should bolster the bullpen alot. The guys that don't make the rotation will be nice to have in there for long relief as well. I really like Feliz in the bullpen. I hope he stays there.

3. Will Guererro be effective for the entire season? - No question he has the bat, but does he have the knees/back?

4. Will Hamilton bounce back to be effective at the plate? - Hopefully moving him over to a corner spot will help alleviate the injuries. He's at the 3 spot now (probably) so that should help.

5. Will Saltalamachia be able to hold down the catcher spot? - With Pudge gone it's Salty and Teagarden... I think Salty is a decent catcher, but I need to see a little more from Teagarden.

I agree that they'll need to win the division to get in.

I love baseball season!

I think the Angels lost enough (and didn't add enough) to bring them down to within reach for the Rangers. Unfortunately, the Mariners made some nice moves and will be right in the race as well.

I think it all hinges on 5 key questions:

1. Will the Starting Pitching staff improve from last year? - It's almost expected with all of the youth in there. Can Feldman at least duplicate last year's performance? Will Harden stay healthy?

2. Will the bullpen come together? - A healthy Ray should bolster the bullpen alot. The guys that don't make the rotation will be nice to have in there for long relief as well. I really like Feliz in the bullpen. I hope he stays there.

3. Will Guererro be effective for the entire season? - No question he has the bat, but does he have the knees/back?

4. Will Hamilton bounce back to be effective at the plate? - Hopefully moving him over to a corner spot will help alleviate the injuries. He's at the 3 spot now (probably) so that should help.

5. Will Saltalamachia be able to hold down the catcher spot? - With Pudge gone it's Salty and Teagarden... I think Salty is a decent catcher, but I need to see a little more from Teagarden.

I agree that they'll need to win the division to get in.

I love baseball season!

Another question:

Will Chris Davis be the Chris Davis of late 2008 or the Chris Davis of early 2009?

Really need a breakout year from this cat.

Way too early for any predictions. Need to see a pitch thrown this spring. We need to see just how healthy / consistent Salty can be. Can Borbon actully pass as a CF with a sub-par arm? Can Clint Hurdle get through to a free swimging bunch that tuned out Rudy for the most part? So many questions and so much young talent. We should all wait to see how things roll for a few weeks in surprise before we throw out any knee jerk predictions.

With that said 88 wins. No playoffs.

Angels = still good

Mariners = very interesting (especially w / Figgins)

AL East = still too strong

Oh yeah tune into Diamondtalk.

I expect a near repeat of last year. Some REAL moments of brilliance, some solid slumps. Things that make you feel like things are starting to go in the right direction, but not enough to get over the hump. I expect a winning season, but not enough to make the playoffs.

• Upvote 1