Louisiana Lafayette (2/25/10)

CMJ

This game can nearly clinch the division. How many times in the past have we joked about the magnitude of a single game, or a "huge stretch" of games(or again A game for comedic value)? The importance of this game is hard to devalue tho. They beat us the first time in their house(where they've been about as clutch as Denver in their barn) -- we've also been very tough at home. We have a 5 game league winning streak...this ties our longest ever such streak. Can we set a new record on Thursday?

Will we?

• Upvote 2

This game can nearly clinch the division. How many times in the past have we joked about the magnitude of a single game, or a "huge stretch" of games(or again A game for comedic value)? The importance of this game is hard to devalue tho. They beat us the first time in their house(where they've been about as clutch as Denver in their barn) -- we've also been very tough at home. We have a 5 game league winning streak...this ties our longest ever such streak. Can we set a new record on Thursday?

Will we?

I think we win. I hope we have a great turn out. This team really deserves a good crowd. I'll be there for the game. Who else will make it?

I think we win. I hope we have a great turn out. This team really deserves a good crowd. I'll be there for the game. Who else will make it?

I really wish we could make it for this game. It's my baby girl's birthday that day AND she has a soccer game that night at 7:45pm. Don't even get me started on that. What first grader needs a 7:45 game on a school night? Anyways, everyone that does go please cheer a little louder to make up for those of us that can't be there! :)

I was gonna say....

They can take stuff away, fire people, move the flagship to Dallas, but for the love of God don't take away the ice cream!

That's what makes this game so important fellas. It all rides on JJ and Co. Will we or won't we be celebrating with Cookies and Cream? JJ decides.

Edited by Green Lantern

Not to undermine the comic vibe going now, but here's a bit of serious info that bodes well for our chances on Thursday:

Gradnigo expected to be out vs. North Texas.

For anyone who doesn't follow the rest of the conference very closely, Chris Gradnigo is sort of like the Odufuwa/Quincy Williams to Tyren Johnson's Tramiel/Keith Wooden.

Johnson carries the statistical weight and scores more points, but Gradnigo is arguably the one that makes the whole system work. Gradnigo averages 14 points, and his absence will put even more pressure on Johnson to produce and avoid foul trouble (and the guy has already been basically carrying that team on his back all year).

It will also stress the Cajun bench, as they'd be stuck with only 9 available players. I believe they're under scholarship sanctions from the NCAA, and they already lost point guard Ryan McCoy (a onetime North Texas recruit who couldn't make the grades) to academic ineligibility back in January.

Gradnigo hasn't practiced at all since severely bruising his back on Saturday. The writer of the article starts by saying that it will take an "overnight recovery of miraculous proportions" for Gradnigo to suit up against North Texas. Final status will be determined today.

Lafayette is 1-6 on the road against SBC teams this year, and 3-10 overall.

They haven't won at the Super Pit in 5 years.

They're probably going to have to play without their 2nd best player, or at best, with their 2nd best player in severe pain and seriously limited.

It's unfortunate that part of it relates to a guy getting hurt... But things seem to be shaping up nicely for us tomorrow night.

• Upvote 2

Not to undermine the comic vibe going now, but here's a bit of serious info that bodes well for our chances on Thursday:

Gradnigo expected to be out vs. North Texas.

For anyone who doesn't follow the rest of the conference very closely, Chris Gradnigo is sort of like the Odufuwa/Quincy Williams to Tyren Johnson's Tramiel/Keith Wooden.

Johnson carries the statistical weight and scores more points, but Gradnigo is arguably the one that makes the whole system work. Gradnigo averages 14 points, and his absence will put even more pressure on Johnson to produce and avoid foul trouble (and the guy has already been basically carrying that team on his back all year).

It will also stress the Cajun bench, as they'd be stuck with only 9 available players. I believe they're under scholarship sanctions from the NCAA, and they already lost point guard Ryan McCoy (a onetime North Texas recruit who couldn't make the grades) to academic ineligibility back in January.

Gradnigo hasn't practiced at all since severely bruising his back on Saturday. The writer of the article starts by saying that it will take an "overnight recovery of miraculous proportions" for Gradnigo to suit up against North Texas. Final status will be determined today.

Lafayette is 1-6 on the road against SBC teams this year, and 3-10 overall.

They haven't won at the Super Pit in 5 years.

They're probably going to have to play without their 2nd best player, or at best, with their 2nd best player in severe pain and seriously limited.

It's unfortunate that part of it relates to a guy getting hurt... But things seem to be shaping up nicely for us tomorrow night.

Good insight. This should bode very well for North Texas. If we keep a similar intensity level to our past 10 games or so and continue to exectue, I feel good about winning tomorrow night.

I do want our guys to come out a little more aggressively on the glass than we did against UALR. We seemed a bit lazy on the boards early, then turned it on in the 2nd half. No excuse to not play with intensity and outwork the other team...especially with so many good potential outcomes for the SBC Tourney on the line.

I always enjoy a win much more when the team we beat is at full strength, but this makes the road a little easier.

My one worry is that with playing weaker teams going down the stretch that the guys may settle into a groove and will be overconfident heading into the tourney.