A Few Wr Coaching Candidates To Consider

gangrene

Here are just a few quick names I have. Before anyone comments that any of these guys are out of our league, remember Canales appeared that way too.

Mike Schultz – currently unemployed - former OC at Illinois (2009) and TCU He recently interviewed at Louisiana Tech for the WR Coach position. Also coached at Sam Houston State, SW Texas State, New Mexico, UTEP and Kansas State.

Clarence James currently on Tulsa staff as Outside WR Coach and Director of Recruiting – has strong ties to the DFW area, having coached at Allen HS, SMU and UNT in the past. He's also coached at Kansas, Texas Tech, OU and Texas.

Gerad Parker currently on UT-Martin's staff as Recruiting Coordinator, Passing Game Coordinator and WR Coach – was a finalist for Kentucky's WR Coach position that Tee Martin got. No ties to the DFW metroplex that I could find but is a young, talented coach on the rise IMO.

Shannon Dawson - currently on Stephen F. Austin's staff as OC and QB coach.

I'll add a few more later.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

It appears as though the WR coach was retained by Skip Holtz. However, he does have close ties to coach Canales. Maybe he would consider a change of scenery in order to reunite with his mentor?

From the Bulls website:

“Phil McGeoghan has a great football mind,” said Leavitt. “He is a first-class coach with a ton of character. He is also very familiar with Coach Canales and the offense we will run. Phil’s passion and expertise will immediately be assets to our program.”

It will be a reunion for Canales and McGeoghan (pronounced mick-gay-gen), who worked together in the NFL.

“It is a remarkable opportunity to coach at a BCS and BIG EAST school like USF,” said McGeoghan. “Coach Canales has been my mentor as a coach, player and person since 2003."

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry...threads like this are stupid. People post these guys with great resumes and yada yada and when it comes down to it we end up getting someone that we've never heard of or be don't really want. Stop getting our hopes up.

So you never heard of Canales nor really wanted him? Seems to me he has a great resume.

I think Canales is proof we now have the money, desire and where with all to go out and get solid position coaches and will do so.

• Upvote 5

I'm sorry...threads like this are stupid. People post these guys with great resumes and yada yada and when it comes down to it we end up getting someone that we've never heard of or be don't really want. Stop getting our hopes up.

Gary DeLoach, Mike Nelson, Mike Canales. . . . . My best hopes have been exceeded in every hire made in the past 2+ years, and each of them has a resume exceeding any of those posted above. I have no idea who it will be, but I believe most of us will be very happy when the new WRs coach is introduced.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, because these lists NEVER include the guy we actually hire. :rolleyes:

Who's On Your Oc Short List?

• Upvote 4

So you never heard of Canales nor really wanted him? Seems to me he has a great resume.

I think Canales is proof we now have the money, desire and where with all to go out and get solid position coaches and will do so.

My point is...lets just let the AD do their job and stop with these useless threads.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

My point is...lets just let the AD do their job and stop with these useless threads.

The coaches and AD will do their jobs regardless of what we write on this board... I have confidence that they will identify the right guy for the job. However, if we discontinued these 'uselesss threads', there would be nothing to talk about! It's fun to speculate!

• Upvote 3

If useless then why add to it?

I enjoy reading who others think would be a good fit. And many times it is as close as we ever get to civil football discussion.

(And I think when people post titles like: "A few WR coaches to consider." They aren't issuing a mandate to the AD but simply saying - "Hey, if I were picking I'd look at these guys first."

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 3

It looks like Mike Schultz is in the running for MTSU's open OC job. There's a bit of irony in that Schultz previously interviewed for the La Tech WR coach position under Tony Franklin, MTSU's former OC. According to footballscoop:

Middle Tennessee State: Rivals' Tom Dienhart reports Rick Stockstill talked with former TCU and Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Schultz.

• Upvote 1