Woe, Canada! Olympic Problems And Missteps..

"Smith-Valade said many of the difficulties have been caused by the warmest winter weather on record..." Global warming is really messing things up, huh?

Nope. He said nothing about Global warming, nor did he say anything that "Man made Global warming" had a thing to do with it either. Huh!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am definitely watching as I love the Olympics, and the Winter Games most of all. This has been something else when it comes to "challenges" for the host city and committee...from the arm on the Olympic Flame Torch not working properly to the warm weather, to the luge track...and not to mention the fact that they chained off the outdoor Olympic Flame with a chain-link fence to keep people away from it. Looks really bad and visitors and city dwellers alike are none too happy about it. BUT, the games go on and there have been some great races and great performances. USA seems to be doing pretty well so far...we'll see as the games progress.

I also bet they will "tear down that fence" and replace it with something much more appropriate soon.

USA-USA-USA-USA!!!!!

Nope. He said nothing about Global warming, nor did he say anything that "Man made Global warming" had a thing to do with it either. Huh! Rick

Sorry man, I couldn't resist. I've really enjoyed watching the Olympics this year and hope the Canadians continue to put on a great show. It's a great way to pass the time during the off season.

"Smith-Valade said many of the difficulties have been caused by the warmest winter weather on record..." Global warming is really messing things up, huh?

Didn't get the memo, did you? In this forum, freak weather patterns are only allowed to be used to illustrate that global warming doesn't exist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I been skiing up in Whistler several times in the last 4-5 years and has always been on the warm side especially near Vancouver, and I have talked with the locals it is not that uncommon. Cypress Mountain is near the coast and it really isn't that cold there, even Whistler can get warm in the Valley. A weather pattern that tends to happen is when the jet stream in the winter dips down in the center of the US it tends to curve and pull warm air up from the US pacific coast to the Vancouver area. I have been in Whistler a few times where there was no snow in the Village, but the mountain was impressive. It rains a lot in the Village as well, but the mountain will have snow, and at the top I have been above the weather and in bright clear sky. This is nothing crazy and the Vancouver Olympic Committee was advised to move the Cypress Mountain events to Whistler or at least a have Whistler as a backup in the first place for just that reason, plus Whistler already has a world class Half Pipe and terrain parks. This was just a political move to put more money in Vancouver at a risk when the weather was never a guarantee. And now it just proves the stubbornness and maybe the arrogance of the VANOC. This controversy has been going on for the last three or so years.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2

I been skiing up in Whistler several times in the last 4-5 years and has always been on the warm side especially near Vancouver, and I have talked with the locals it is not that uncommon. Cypress Mountain is near the coast and it really isn't that cold there, even Whistler can get warm in the Valley. A weather pattern that tends to happen is when the jet stream in the winter dips down in the center of the US it tends to curve and pull warm air up from the US pacific coast to the Vancouver area. I have been in Whistler a few times where there was no snow in the Village, but the mountain was impressive. It rains a lot in the Village as well, but the mountain will have snow, and at the top I have been above the weather and in bright clear sky. This is nothing crazy and the Vancouver Olympic Committee was advised to move the Cypress Mountain events to Whistler or at least a have Whistler as a backup in the first place for just that reason, plus Whistler already has a world class Half Pipe and terrain parks. This was just a political move to put more money in Vancouver at a risk when the weather was never a guarantee. And now it just proves the stubbornness and maybe the arrogance of the VANOC. This controversy has been going on for the last three or so years.

Having just come from the Olympics, many of the locals were shaking their heads, saying "I knew it" when the problems with Cypress came up. It was a huge issue that those venues were placed at Cypress mountain, which is often light on snowfall, and not at Whistler.

The events in Whistler will be fine. The may be delayed a couple of days for weather, as was the mens downhill, but that happens at every olympics.

I think the Canadians are doing a fine job. If you were stupid enough to buy tickets to the Cypress events without checking out the particulars, well, buyer beware. Nothing but good things from my experience at Whistler mountain.

• Upvote 1

Im sure there are problems at every Olympics. When you put something on of that magnitude, its hard to do it flawlessly. Anyone who is lucky enough to get the chance to go to the Olympics should consider themselves lucky.

Actually, initially they weren't recieving enough snowfall, now they are getting to much.

The speedskating track has been a nightmare since they can't seem to locate a Zamboni.

I thought everyone in Canada owned a Zamboni?

Both of the Olympias had problems occur, so they were trying to bring a zam in from Calgary. Those things are very complex and its not uncommon for them to have issues.

We need more curling

The US vs China women's curling had an incredibly close finish, only a few centimeters.

• Downvote 1

Yup

America is very represented in Canada, we seem to have alot of good talent in all of the major categories and this should reflect in the medal count.

Great Olympics thus far, its really difficult to put something like this together, but the positive thing is that Vancouver isnt too far from the U.S. so there seems to be alot of Americans in attendance.

Felt really bad about the athlete that was died tragically, definately put a damper on the event.

Good luck to all of the athletes, defiantely made us proud.

Go Curling.....

Edited by UNT_playmaker

I thought we dropped the first "G"...international games/gender questionable exemption?

My memory is slipping, but I';m a fan of the classics. Maybe the G could just be an exclamation, like Gosh or Golly. G,WTOGMT!

Do you realize that she was included in the annual S.I. Swimsuit Issue?

Rick

In the Olympic athletes section. Bill Romanowski and his wife were once featured in the SI Swimsuit edition. Neither of them are "Model Hot." Again, as Caribbean Green said, there is nothing wrong with being sports hot. I'm not calling her ugly, but if put in a lineup with the non athlete models in that same issue, it would be clear who was out of place.

• Downvote 2