William Cole, Clayton George Update - Drc

Harry

Question one: How much control does Dodge have over the players?

Are we recruiting talent that lacks commitment? Or do we give players false hope? But it seems like the players leave before they have time to develop.

Question two: Is recruiting JCOS panning out?

If playing for a 1aa(meaning they leave) is better than UNT, then we have problems off the field that will prevent wins on the field.

Edited by GreenStreet

Question one: How much control does Dodge have over the players?

Are we recruiting talent that lacks commitment? Or do we give players false hope? But it seems like the players leave before they have time to develop.

Question two: Is recruiting JCOS panning out?

If playing for a 1aa(meaning they leave) is better than UNT, then we have problems off the field that will prevent wins on the field.

Neither Cole nor Williams was a JUCO.

Cole was a transfer from from Okie St. and Williams was recruited from 3A Vernon HS.

What the *%$@!

Were there any disciplinary problems with him at Ok. St.?

Unless he goes 1AA, he will have out sit out another year, right?

Why can't we keep our sh#t together for one off season, what is the deal with Cole and Darien Williams? How the hell does this happen? I looked it up and as of January 26th, 2010 Vito still was commenting on Darien Williams coming back. I was counting on Cole being a big big big contributor, how in the heck to we lose a guy like this? I really want to know.

• Upvote 3

Why can't we keep our sh#t together for one off season, what is the deal with Cole and Darien Williams? How the hell does this happen? I looked it up and as of January 26th, 2010 Vito still was commenting on Darien Williams coming back. I was counting on Cole being a big big big contributor, how in the heck to we lose a guy like this? I really want to know.

Moreover, is this a grades issue?

How will this effect our recovering APR?

• Upvote 1

Neither Cole nor Williams was a JUCO.

Cole was a transfer from from Okie St. and Williams was recruited from 3A Vernon HS.

Remove Williams, and lets look back to the last 3(well really 4) seasons, and someone explain why everyone who 'transfers' from anywhere leaves.

Edited by GreenStreet

Well, why did they leave their previous schools? Have we been paying for their education this whole time? Also - it could be a discipline thing. Remember that Dodge had some issues with players partying too much his first year... it could be anything. But damaged goods from somewhere else is always going to be a risk. There has to be a reason that a Big 12 player decides to come to NT and sit out a year. I just hope that we haven't been paying for his school, room, and board this whole time.

William Cole, despite a great talent, was a risk when he came here academically. He obviously didn't take care of his business in the classroom. No one is to blame but him.

Hate to see Darrien Williams leave, but he had to do what's best. You always hate to see young people's plans change, but that's that nature of the beast in the world of intercollegiate athletics. Wish him the best for sure. Now, is that a case where we as fans can look at it and say, 'we've definitely upgraded the talent' as #23 was playing regularly as a freshman in 2008, and now won't sniff the field?

As far as Coach George going, I thought he was always cordial in public and did a nice job recruiting South Dallas using his ties he developed in high school. However, I am extremely excited to see this. I feel the WR's have really underachieved in this offense. Coach Canales has an emphasis and background in WR's and QB's and he saw the writing on the wall as well. The talent's certainly there, but the performance isn't.

So with so many players leaving in Dodge's 3.5 years, how will that affect the APR over the next year? I guess not as bad as some DD years where players seemed to be academic casualties left and right, but still seems like an abnormally high number of players (& Coaches) jumping ship/ looking for better opportunities.

I thought we are back to the full allotment of scholarships now?

So the players leaving from earlier in Dodge's tenure have been accounted for in previous APR penalties. I hope that Cole will not affect the APR, and if Williams left in good academic standing it doesn't hurt right? Maybe Cole transferred here without a scholarship in hopes of earning one. If so, then would that count against our APR (I have no clue how APR works)? Sounds like Williams left for playing time at ACU.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Cole left because of grades. If a kid either can't or won't cut it in the classroom, he has no business on the football team. It takes too much time to play football or any collegiate sport, so if grades suffer for whatever reason, emphasis needs to be on the grades and the classroom not the football field. Too bad as I thought Cole would make a fine addition to the team.

I do think playing time was the issue with Williams.

Good luck to Coach George.