Evan Bayh Resignation

OK, I admit it...at first blush, I was very pleased to see another Democrat decide to step down from the Senate and open up the possibility of a "change of aisles" for this seat in the 2010 mid-terms. You do know that 5 Democrat senators have decided to not seek re-election so far, right? BUT, did you know that 6 Republican Senators have done the same so far? And, this does not say anything about the House.

But, back to the point...after giving this some thought and believing the reasons given for the resignation, it is a fairly "sad event" when a long-standing and reported "centrist" no longer thinks it is worth his/her time to continue to serve because of all the grid-lock in DC these days. That says a lot to me, and not too much good.

Maybe this is one way to get "term limits"...just tire them out...but, it may well signal that it is past time that folks started to think of what is best for the nation and not their own petty or ideological biases in each and every case. I am in no way implying that conservatives should immediately embrace universal health care or big deficits or "bridges to nowhere", nor am I saying that liberals should abandon pressing for universal health care, certain tax increases, etc,., etc. But, what I am saying is that it might just be time to get back to LBJ/Reagan style "negotiations" and compromise. Perhaps the Republicans just do have some good points regarding health care and climate change and tax incentives vs. tax increases and perhaps the Democrats do have a point in trying to expand health care to more citizens, etc. Surely, there is a way to figure this out...this and a lot of other issues and keep the whole thing from being a "my side is never going to agree with your side" thing when it comes to every issue facing this great nation.

There certainly is middle ground in many many issues...not all, for certain, but for many. And, if we can handle the "many" the few others will not be sure lightening rods for partisanship. No one likes to have things rammed down their throats...neither side will react well to that. Maybe Sen. Bayh has done the nation a favor after all in making it clear why he is resigning...we'll see, won't we.

By the way...there is a person in our office that thinks the real reason Bayh is resigning is that he will file to run against President Obama in the 2012 presidential race. Hmmmmmm...could that be? I think it is a bit of a stretch, but stranger things have happened in DC these days.

Solid. I feel a little bad about taking part of it for my signature, but am glad to see someone entrenched on one side take this view of things.

OK, I admit it...at first blush, I was very pleased to see another Democrat decide to step down from the Senate and open up the possibility of a "change of aisles" for this seat in the 2010 mid-terms. You do know that 5 Democrat senators have decided to not seek re-election so far, right? BUT, did you know that 6 Republican Senators have done the same so far? And, this does not say anything about the House.

But, back to the point...after giving this some thought and believing the reasons given for the resignation, it is a fairly "sad event" when a long-standing and reported "centrist" no longer thinks it is worth his/her time to continue to serve because of all the grid-lock in DC these days. That says a lot to me, and not too much good.

Maybe this is one way to get "term limits"...just tire them out...but, it may well signal that it is past time that folks started to think of what is best for the nation and not their own petty or ideological biases in each and every case. I am in no way implying that conservatives should immediately embrace universal health care or big deficits or "bridges to nowhere", nor am I saying that liberals should abandon pressing for universal health care, certain tax increases, etc,., etc. But, what I am saying is that it might just be time to get back to LBJ/Reagan style "negotiations" and compromise. Perhaps the Republicans just do have some good points regarding health care and climate change and tax incentives vs. tax increases

and perhaps the Democrats do have a point in trying to expand health care to more citizens, etc. Surely, there is a way to figure this out...this and a lot of other issues and keep the whole thing from being a "my side is never going to agree with your side" thing when it comes to every issue facing this great nation.

There certainly is middle ground in many many issues...not all, for certain, but for many. And, if we can handle the "many" the few others will not be sure lightening rods for partisanship. No one likes to have things rammed down their throats...neither side will react well to that. Maybe Sen. Bayh has done the nation a favor after all in making it clear why he is resigning...we'll see, won't we.

By the way...there is a person in our office that thinks the real reason Bayh is resigning is that he will file to run against President Obama in the 2012 presidential race. Hmmmmmm...could that be? I think it is a bit of a stretch, but stranger things have happened in DC these days.

Kram I really liked this post. Well said.

I hate to bring in something from the Huffington Post here, but this should be a part of the conversation. Apparently his wife has been raking in millions from the insurance giant Wellpoint for years. Why would he want to reform the current healthcare system?? If he doesn't have aspirations for a higher office, then he will probably become a lobbyist down the road.

Whatever. Just another part of the problem a-hole that is out of touch with the issues that citizens have to endure in this country.

• Upvote 2

I hate to bring in something from the Huffington Post here, but this should be a part of the conversation. Apparently his wife has been raking in millions from the insurance giant Wellpoint for years. Why would he want to reform the current healthcare system?? If he doesn't have aspirations for a higher office, then he will probably become a lobbyist down the road.

Whatever. Just another part of the problem a-hole that is out of touch with the issues that citizens have to endure in this country.

Something we can somewhat agree on, but for very different reasons. I think you will see Bayh challenge a very weak Pres. Obama for the Dem nomination in 2012. This smacks of a political move, especially with his statements after leaving. Until true term limits are enacted, I want to see the congress split 50/50 and extremely adversarial. This would ensure that very little legislation (see: spending) gets through congress.

As far as "issues that citizens have to endure in this country", just be glad we didnt get the nationalized health care system the libs wanted. You, too, would have had to wait 5 months for a MRI for a painful back injury just like by Canadian friend described to me last week.

Last sentence kinda makes it seem like you are living in Haiti, not the US. Just a little overdramatic, don't you think?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Maybe this is one way to get "term limits"...just tire them out...but, it may well signal that it is past time that folks started to think of what is best for the nation and not their own petty or ideological biases in each and every case. I am in no way implying that conservatives should immediately embrace universal health care or big deficits or "bridges to nowhere", nor am I saying that liberals should abandon pressing for universal health care, certain tax increases, etc,., etc. But, what I am saying is that it might just be time to get back to LBJ/Reagan style "negotiations" and compromise. Perhaps the Republicans just do have some good points regarding health care and climate change and tax incentives vs. tax increases and perhaps the Democrats do have a point in trying to expand health care to more citizens, etc. Surely, there is a way to figure this out...this and a lot of other issues and keep the whole thing from being a "my side is never going to agree with your side" thing when it comes to every issue facing this great nation.

Well said. I don't think I've seen a sadder facial expression than Bayh's. I know I'm left of you, but right of my sister in San Francisco, but would like to see some more "country first" attitude like you've shown.

• Upvote 1

Good stuff Kram - both sides need to put their differences aside and find some common ground or we're in constant gridlock.

Besides the outcomes of recent elections in Virginia, New Jersey and Massachusetts, this may also explain a bit as to why Bayh resigned.

CNN poll: 52% say Obama doesn't deserve reelection in 2012

...combined with this.

Drowning in Debt: What the Nation's Budget Woes Mean for You Economists Predict Cutbacks, Tax Increases That 'Aren't Even Imaginable'

In a recent ABC News poll, 87 percent of Americans said they are concerned about the federal budget deficit and national debt, and most strongly disapprove of how their political leaders are handling the situation.

Rick

• Downvote 1

Something we can somewhat agree on, but for very different reasons. I think you will see Bayh challenge a very weak Pres. Obama for the Dem nomination in 2012. This smacks of a political move, especially with his statements after leaving. Until true term limits are enacted, I want to see the congress split 50/50 and extremely adversarial. This would ensure that very little legislation (see: spending) gets through congress.

As far as "issues that citizens have to endure in this country", just be glad we didnt get the nationalized health care system the libs wanted. You, too, would have had to wait 5 months for a MRI for a painful back injury just like by Canadian friend described to me last week.

Last sentence kinda makes it seem like you are living in Haiti, not the US. Just a little overdramatic, don't you think?

Let us not be so quick to call our president weak. He still has a very big and positive base out there. Are they as vocal as the right wing? Not at all. But there are a great number that understand that all of the nations problems wouldn't be cured in one calander year. Give it time. Your precious Ronald Regan had a very tough first year from what I recall and now every conservative is carving a butter sculpture of him at every county fair. Give it a little time. Hell if they passed the current HC bill in my mind that would be a major win for any president. And before you go bashing it, actually read about some of the good it will do and people it will help. That is what bothers me more than anything in the HC debate. There are thousands and thousands our own people being screwed every year because insurance companies and pharmecutical corporations are raping the lower and middle class.

Sorry to go off here, but to just dismiss what out President is trying to get done is pretty one sided. Oh yeah, he caught a Taliban leader....we gonna give him some credit for that? Probably not.

He wants to prosecute terrorist in court here and get a fast conviction (just like the last president did) and he is getting roasted for that. Let's just all admit that political biases are muddying the waters of what is really going on. A bad situation that we all need to try to fight through. But god forbid it's and election year for a minute percentage of the population.....so we all suffer.

Edited by Green Guy Bass
  • Upvote 3

Let us not be so quick to call our president weak. He still has a very big and positive base out there. Are they as vocal as the right wing? Not at all. But there are a great number that understand that all of the nations problems wouldn't be cured in one calander year. Give it time. Your precious Ronald Regan had a very tough first year from what I recall and now every conservative is carving a butter sculpture of him at every county fair. Give it a little time. Hell if they passed the current HC bill in my mind that would be a major win for any president. And before you go bashing it, actually read about some of the good it will do and people it will help. That is what bothers me more than anything in the HC debate. There are thousands and thousands our own people being screwed every year because insurance companies and pharmecutical corporations are raping the lower and middle class.

I'll give him the full four years, but when he comes out firing with an extremely far, far left agenda that he can't even get past a Senate with a super majority of his own party, why should I think he would ever agree with my conservative ideas? If Pres. Obama's ideas for this country don't agree with my ideas, I can give him 20 years and it wouldn't change a thing, much like you still don't agree with Reagan's ideas.

I don't feel that it is "good" for people to make them dependent on the government for anything other than law enforcement and national defense. Period.

Why is it so difficult for you to understand, and respect, that there are those that are as far right as you are left. I know I will never change your views and respect that (although I think you'll move right with age, just because that is what normally happens), why do you have to think that my views are a "right wing conspiracy", or that we are all just "Fox Disciples"?

But we do agree. Evan Bayh is making a political move to put his name on the ballot.

Welp, you tried, Kram. I'll give you all the credit in the world for bringing an idealistic knife to this cannon fight.

Shuke-D, looks like you raised the Mission Accomplished banner a little too soon, my friend. Maybe next time?

Is anyone else interested in seeing a Eealy/GreenGuyBass VS. FFR/UNTFlyer wrestling match for the GMG.com Politics Nonsense Tag Team Championship?

Mods, is this possible? Isn't there a building that hosted wrestling matches off of Ft. Worth Dr. south of 35E?

All proceeds could go to the Global warming/Global cooling charity of the winner's choice!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 4

Welp, you tried, Kram. I'll give you all the credit in the world for bringing an idealistic knife to this cannon fight.

Shuke-D, looks like you raised the Mission Accomplished banner a little too soon, my friend. Maybe next time?

Meh. I stand by my general assessment, and besides, I'll take any excuse to put on my jumpsuit, complete with sewn-in codpiece.

Overall though, save for a couple posts that are nothing more than inflammatory grenade-lobs (which were ignored by both sides I should point out), I would call this a reasoned exchange of differences. No name calling between the principles who are disagreeing. The principal players here are confident enough in their own beliefs that they can disagree, heatedly, without resorting to demeaning each other to assuage their own lack of confidence. I love the smell of democracy in the morning.

Is anyone else interested in seeing a Eealy/GreenGuyBass VS. FFR/UNTFlyer wrestling match for the GMG.com Politics Nonsense Tag Team Championship?

Mods, is this possible? Isn't there a building that hosted wrestling matches off of Ft. Worth Dr. south of 35E?

All proceeds could go to the Global warming/Global cooling charity of the winner's choice!

To heck with wrestling, put them in the octagon and let them do some MMA on each other until someone taps.

Good Post.

Many in DC are choosing to resign/not run again because the chances of an incumbent gaining re-election are pretty slim whether Democrat or Republican. If you were to trying to seek re-election it would be costly and bitter. Kind of like lose the battle but win the war. You will see many of these people again. There is pressure for them to step down from their own party if there is deemed a suitable/popular candidate from their own party to fill the void.