Extension For Jj?

DeepGreen

Could be that the powers that be realize that LSU maybe looking for a new BB coach at the end of the season. and wanted to get something done.

I don't understand the timing. Isn't this something you sit down and discuss AFTER the season plays out?

Rick

FWIW Rick. I am having the same problem with the toolbar in the middle of the reply window. It is driving me crazy. So, I have to think twice about posting, because I am afraid of what it might look like. I thought that I was the only one having a problem. So, you are not alone.

I have the same problem at work, too. Very annoying

Why an extension? Nothing against JJ but I think it is foolish for an University like NT to give out 5 year contracts. Excluding the initial contract were it may be necessary to give out a five year contract to get the right coach. Although I wonder why a high school football coach or a woman basketball coach with little experience warranted 5 year contracts. We all are aware of the Dodge situation but what if Stephens has another season like the first two next year and with two years left on her contract?

The facts are that contracts never bind coaches to schools and most leave as soon as they get a better offer despite their contract status. On the other hand, if things go South, like in the case of Dickey; the University has an expensive buyout to deal with. I have nothing against giving JJ a raise but why tie the school down for little reason with a longer agreement. I would always extend a good coaches' contract out were they would never be in the last year of their agreement but why go further than that?

What does NT have to gain from granting JJ a long term contract? If JJ is wildly successful and starts to win big, perpetual top 50 program, then he is going to merit big bucks. He is either going to go to greener pastures or renegotiate for more dollars at NT. The current contract means nothing. If JJ starts to lose more often and doesn't continue to advance the program, NT is stuck with a buyout or a coach they may not want. If JJ continues the status quo, keeps NT in the upper echelon of Belt teams but never really elevates the program, then a long term contract really gives NT no more advantage than a rolling two year agreement.

If anyone deserves a long term contract at NT athletics, Jones does. I just don't think it is a wise plan to unduly obligate the University when the potential downside in long-term contracts far outweighs any possible gain.

By extending a contract, the school is obligating future dollars to the coach. If another school comes calling, they will have to pay the school for the sum left on the contract, or some percentage of it. By extending the contract it:

1)Shows JJ what his future worth is presumed to be by UNT.

2)Obligates the school to pay that sum should the school end the contract

3)Makes the buyout sum that other schools have to pay to get him higher, which then can be used to find another theoretically equal caliber coach.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

By extending a contract, the school is obligating future dollars to the coach. If another school comes calling, they will have to pay the school for the sum left on the contract, or some percentage of it. By extending the contract it:

1)Shows JJ what his future worth is presumed to be by UNT.

2)Obligates the school to pay that sum should the school end the contract

3)Makes the buyout sum that other schools have to pay to get him higher, which then can be used to find another theoretically equal caliber coach.

Valid points Mag.

Well, apparently it's a done deal according to Vito's blog during the game last night.

"The UNT board of regents granted the school's athletic department to finalize a two-year extension for head coach Johnny Jones this afternoon."

According to Vito's Article today JOnes has yet to sigh the deal.

Look about halway down the page Vito Article

What was the combined buyouts for Dickey, Slinker and Bataille? Where is all this money coming from in which the powers that be don't care about putting themselves in a situation of possibly having to pay another buyout? Obviously no one expects the worst to happen, but sometimes it does and it can be quite unexpected. You would think that the people who make important decisions would be able to learn from history. But if their jobs aren't on the line for wasting money then I guess they aren't going to care.