Mandy Leaving?

LoveMG

I'll make a deal with you two- I'll never make another "off topic" post again on this forum if you two agree to never again start, reply, or in any way contribute to any politically oriented topic on GMG.

Not a joke.

Otherwise, I think we'll have to agree to tolerate the little things we do that annoy each other. And everyone will just have to put up with the types of posts we make that may or may not violate the explicitly stated preferences and rules of the moderating staff.

EDIT: Nothing personal... Rick knows that I'm his superpal. I don't know yyz personally, but I don't have any hard feelings towards him, either.

Yes, I think the tendency to not hijack threads like this show excessive attention span (AED, or attention excess disorder). I mean it's not like some of us wouldn't like to occasionally go over to the "whatever it's called lately" board and contribute a thought or two without our heads hitting the keyboard from realizing the same topic, with sometimes multiple threads, is kept going by sort of an amen corner with the token couple of dissenters, for longer than some of our home losing streaks.

Well, I'd like clarification on the rules too then... If someone calls himself an asshole, then is it okay for everyone else to call them an asshole too without violating a personal attack rule? Does this apply for the entire board, just that thread, when only quoting their post, or is the name asshole in general free game?

I think we are taking things too seriously. If all we posted was serious posts, this board would be so boring and resemble the UTA basketball board. The fact is, there isn't much going on right now, and most of the threads that get high jacked deserve to get high jacked in my opinion.

Rick - to answer your question, YES. This (high-jacking) does happen on other boards too. I don't know why we care what other schools/boards do, but it does happen.

Here's my question: when an underling in any of those same schools leave, does anyone from that school care enough to actually post such a thing on the football section of the board. Mandy may have made some people angry, done good things for the program, may have been underwhelmingly friendly to fans and overwhelmingly friendly with certain coaches, contributed to the football team's demise, built the new stadium with her bare hands etc... but really, she's not a legend around here and certainly doesn't warrant her own thread to discuss what a huge or insignificant loss this really is... and certainly doesn't deserve the attention this thread is giving her. So IMO - high jacks away.

Mandy has had a very negative impact on quite a few around here actually, I have seen her on good days and bad. Overall I am not a fan.

... but really, she's not a legend around here and certainly doesn't warrant her own thread to discuss what a huge or insignificant loss this really is... and certainly doesn't deserve the attention this thread is giving her. So IMO - high jacks away.

No, she doesn't, unless you give a crap about our latest and largest project that is currently underway, and remember that she is/was one of 4 remaining employees assigned to raise money for it.

And by the way, to the title of this thread: Confirmed as of tonights' basketball game.

Rick

No, she doesn't, unless you give a crap about our latest and largest project that is currently underway, and remember that she is/was one of 4 remaining employees assigned to raise money for it.

And by the way, to the title of this thread: Confirmed as of tonights' basketball game.

Rick

That is some of the best news I have heard yet, thanks Rick for firming it up.

I'll make a deal with you two- I'll never make another "off topic" post again on this forum if you two agree to never again start, reply, or in any way contribute to any politically oriented topic on GMG.

Not a joke.

Why?

The reason I ask is, 1) We don't start political discussions where they are not allowed, only keeping them on the Non-UNT Sports forum, and 2), You never participate in any of the political discussions in the first place that I remember. So why do you care?

I don't see any comparison at all between hijacking threads of any subject, especially those threads on the board that attracts the most attention, the football board, where we have the most concern for, and going to a separate forum that is titled "The place for Non-UNT Sports, politics, and general discussions and debate. Pretty much everything goes. Not a place for the timid or shy! and discussing just that, politics?

Rick

Rick

To be quite honest, Rick. I highly doubt our sources of funding for the new stadium will dry up with the departure of Mandy. That said, I wish her well, because she has always been nothing but gracious to me in all my encounters, and she probably has absolutely no idea who I am which tells me she treats everyone with as much respect.

To be quite honest, Rick. I highly doubt our sources of funding for the new stadium will dry up with the departure of Mandy. That said, I wish her well, because she has always been nothing but gracious to me in all my encounters, and she probably has absolutely no idea who I am which tells me she treats everyone with as much respect.

To this I am on the opposite side of spectrum and feel bad for anyone associated with any endeavor she is now apart of. Event outings and away games will be much more enjoyable. In addition, to those of you on the board who were part of the group I was in that had to put up with her arrogance at the Arkansas game a few years back, I say WELCOME BACK! (cant wait to see you at the games)

Edited by GreenStreet

This place is a chapel compared to the other forums I regular (sports and non).

If you think it is bad now, just wait until we start winning, interest in the program explodes and thus membership on this board increases.

I happen to appreciate the pace of discussion around here.

Edited by Harry

Why?

The reason I ask is, 1) We don't start political discussions where they are not allowed, only keeping them on the Non-UNT Sports forum, and 2), You never participate in any of the political discussions in the first place that I remember. So why do you care?

I don't see any comparison at all between hijacking threads of any subject, especially those threads on the board that attracts the most attention, the football board, where we have the most concern for, and going to a separate forum that is titled "The place for Non-UNT Sports, politics, and general discussions and debate. Pretty much everything goes. Not a place for the timid or shy! and discussing just that, politics?

Rick

Well, that was my point, but I'm sure you made it better than I did.

To give a serious reply, I have grown very tired of every thread turning into a forum that attempts to bash Todd Dodge. I have to be honest and say that he lost my support during the season and I would have been fine with him being fired. But he wasn't. So, therefore, he is my university's coach and I support him. I can't change any perceived mistakes from the past. I can expect improvement and I can support the program monetarily. That is all I can do.

Rick, you are guilty of not moving on from last season just as much as NT03 and Tasty and all others. Your attempts are not at comedy, but you are guilty. Emmitt as well. I am not a superfan like you guys. I give a scant few hundred a year to the MGC, buy my season tickets, and give a few hundred more to my scholarship. I guess the reason I am harder on you and Emmitt is because you are the representation of a UNT fan. Both of you were featured on the UNT home page and alumni magazine as THE superfans. And I respect that. And I expect that. Seriously, now that the decision to retain Dodge has been made, I also expect you to support that and get behind it. I don't expect you to accept the below average results we have seen, but I do expect you to take a breathe and say, "You know what, this is our coach, our team, and I support them no matter what." I know you do at heart, but your recent words don't represent that.

This is why I made that bet with Emmitt about the UT game. Either way I win. Either UT wins and Emmitt can't say bad things about Dodge or I leave the board.

This fan base needs you. It needs Emmitt to get behind the football team, even though they have struggled for 5 years. It needs FFR to get over this year and move on and start re-igniting that fire that burns so hot for UNT football (pun intended). It needs the superfans, the hardcore fans to dig deep and believe. Believe that 6 losses by a total of 24 points isn't a sign of disaster, but a sign of a turn-around. A sign that these kids believe in this coach. A sign that all those returning starters and recruits mean that we will return to the top of the conference sooner rather than later. A sign that Dunbar, Jackson, Hill, Johnson, Atkinson, Phillips, Cook, Carey, and Dodge mean that this team has a bright future.

Gentlemen, the 2009 season is over. It is time to move on. Mistakes have been made. But I can't help but get excited about next year. It is time for those superfans to lead us into 2010 with renewed optimism and enthusiam.

To give an equally serious, if limited, response... Nothing here has anything to do with the subject of this thread. At all.

A lesser person would point out the irony. I'll just point out that I'm not pointing out the irony. Because I'm a small, but not tiny, person.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

That is some of the best news I have heard yet, thanks Rick for firming it up.

Is she - gasp - going to take a similar position at SDSU? If only someone had known that before tonight.

Back to the sudden referendum on me, let me clear my throat for a short sermon to all of my many followers that follow me to the ends of the earth and back to destroy the sanctity of America's favorite sports forum:

STOP FOLLOWING ME. I DON'T LIKE YOU.

It may sound harsh, but if anyone has any ideas that I am trying to raise some kind of popular army of hijackers and habberdashery, you might as well kill yourself now to be spared the disappointment in store. I do love the theory that I alone am the one ruining the content of this Web site. Let's consider this for a moment:

This is a web site with more than a decade of history and hardcore fans. These are GMG experts handing down generations of knowledge. No one knows the program better than you all (save former employees, athletes, coaches, etc.) You are here because you have a passion that a very small percentage of NT alums have ever had. You are supposedly the spirit of this school.

In fact, you thirst for North Texas sports talk. Supposedly, you visit here because this is your outlet in a world where most folks don't care the way you care. And yet, somehow, 1-4 people have this sudden power to destroy and crush everything you might want to say about the team, athletes, recruits, schedules, etc.? How can that be possible?

Well, it's easy. None of you talk about anything unique or interesting to North Texas most of the time, even when you think you do. It's constant debate about the future of conference realignment every season, uniform fashion police or half-baked marketing strategies that are presented as ground-breaking. The goal of the 98% of the posters here is not a genuine sports discussion -- it's self-promotion, chest-thumping about being the best fan, being the world's best news source, brandishing a conversation that YOU had with a key donor, figure or official. The problem is that most of US aren't even good at that, so it just turns into the next best thing -- tearing others down to that level. you may not have it in, but dang it, NorthTexasFan69 is even less in the know. I've never seen a college message board like this. Yes, it happens, but it never like it does here. Everyone is so busy creating rules and levels of fandom that they neglect the basics of conversation.

So, if you post here and are amused by it, it's hard to take it seriously. In fact, some of us take none of it seriously anymore. The admins go to great strides to make this site a worth visiting and have improved it a thousand-fold in the last 10 years, but there is only so much concept they can redesign. They took the time to craft out blog posts and podcasts that were lucky to garner 10 comments regardless of how well done they were. Why is that? Because most of you want to sit around and wiener-whip each other with the same safe and familiar B.S. you've always come here for rather than reward and utilize the free content given to you by Harry and the gang.

So, yes, the hijacks may be tired to you, but the topics being hijacked are tiring to many, too. Still, if I ever hijack something you are seriously interested in, call me out on it and re-steer the topic. I shouldn't be bigger than anyone here. Some of you may love the hierarchy structure, but I'm glad there are people still willing to call me out on stuff. I dish out more than enough to take it back from a few of you. I don't want to hijack good, original content or discussions. It's why I barely grab-ass on the VIP forum and it's why I do nothing but post seriously on other non-GMG sites that are currently floating the interwebs. Serious, well-thought content gets a good response. Your theory on why Riley Dodge does or doesn't have the arm strength to throw a football through a soggy napkin doesn't. I won't make it personal, I won't flame war anyone and I'll stop if asked by a mod.

Is that a little bullying and self-assured? Damn straight it is. If you don't like it, drown me out with something better. Try to figure out what you would want to talk about and start that thread and see what other people think. Contribute something. There are mid-major boards with 600+ people posting each day -- we have the same 15-20 people the majority of the time at this point. I may have angered a couple of folks, but, much like global warming, am I really powerful enough to cause such wide-spread climate shift and destruction? Not likely, but if I am, that's more a referendum on everyone else than me.

I'm off for the holidays, but wanted to make sure I at least added my voice to the debate. If anyone wants to figure out which alum would be a good fit to replace Mandy (haven't we established going outside this group is evil), I'd love to hear suggestions. Any of you in development/fundraising or have strong business connections? This could be the job for you -- apply now (or when it's posted).

Rick

Back to the title topic, I wish Mandy well in her new job but am likewise concerned as FFR with the departure of another athletic fundraiser at this critical time. I trust RV has known this was coming and has replacements in mind (just don't let Lee Jackson help you as funds will be diverted to UNT-Dallas' stadium project!).

Back to the title topic, I wish Mandy well in her new job but am likewise concerned as FFR with the departure of another athletic fundraiser at this critical time. I trust RV has known this was coming and has replacements in mind (just don't let Lee Jackson help you as funds will be diverted to UNT-Dallas' stadium project!).

I am sure we can find someone much better, Mandy in my opinion caused more problems then she solved. I feel this is a great move for fund raising.

• Upvote 1

To give a serious reply, I have grown very tired of every thread turning into a forum that attempts to bash Todd Dodge. I have to be honest and say that he lost my support during the season and I would have been fine with him being fired. But he wasn't. So, therefore, he is my university's coach and I support him. I can't change any perceived mistakes from the past. I can expect improvement and I can support the program monetarily. That is all I can do.

Rick, you are guilty of not moving on from last season just as much as NT03 and Tasty and all others. Your attempts are not at comedy, but you are guilty. Emmitt as well. I am not a superfan like you guys. I give a scant few hundred a year to the MGC, buy my season tickets, and give a few hundred more to my scholarship. I guess the reason I am harder on you and Emmitt is because you are the representation of a UNT fan. Both of you were featured on the UNT home page and alumni magazine as THE superfans. And I respect that. And I expect that. Seriously, now that the decision to retain Dodge has been made, I also expect you to support that and get behind it. I don't expect you to accept the below average results we have seen, but I do expect you to take a breathe and say, "You know what, this is our coach, our team, and I support them no matter what." I know you do at heart, but your recent words don't represent that.

This is why I made that bet with Emmitt about the UT game. Either way I win. Either UT wins and Emmitt can't say bad things about Dodge or I leave the board.

This fan base needs you. It needs Emmitt to get behind the football team, even though they have struggled for 5 years. It needs FFR to get over this year and move on and start re-igniting that fire that burns so hot for UNT football (pun intended). It needs the superfans, the hardcore fans to dig deep and believe. Believe that 6 losses by a total of 24 points isn't a sign of disaster, but a sign of a turn-around. A sign that these kids believe in this coach. A sign that all those returning starters and recruits mean that we will return to the top of the conference sooner rather than later. A sign that Dunbar, Jackson, Hill, Johnson, Atkinson, Phillips, Cook, Carey, and Dodge mean that this team has a bright future.

Gentlemen, the 2009 season is over. It is time to move on. Mistakes have been made. But I can't help but get excited about next year. It is time for those superfans to lead us into 2010 with renewed optimism and enthusiam.

Did I not just two weeks ago defend this program and use attendance facts in way of calling the athletic department out for accusing our fanbase of being apathetic?

I'm sorry if you have taken my expectations for improvement as negative although I don't see where I have been all that harsh on this forum? I think if you expect more from a public message board fan base that has seen exactly 5 home wins the past 5 seasons your setting yourself up for major disappointment. I won't settle for such dismal performances and I don't expect you or anyone else to do so as well. If they deal with it by coming here and venting, and you read it as bashing Coach Dodge, then so be it. Again, I think your expecting a bit too much.

Thank you for your concerns by the way, I appreciate them although I don't think of myself as a super fan. Denny & Connie Kalk, Brad & Vickie Olson, Phil Drago, George Derr, Don Huffstedler, John McDowell, C. Dan Smith and many others like them, those are your super fans. Not me. As long as you see my typing on this board you have nothing to worry about in way of my support for this program. When the time comes you don't see it that's time to worry and more than likely means I'm taking the dirt nap somwhere.

Rick

Why?

Rick

And here I thought that the reason we all come here is because of our ties to North Texas and interest in North Texas related topics. Silly me.

As well: pointing to the forum subject headings as a source of authority? Cute. Should, then, the Eagles Nest heading include the word 'boobs' since you felt that was an appropriate topic to express your love of North Texas?

I also ran across this recently; I find it an enlightening take on authority in these here parts:

General Rules:

•While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.

•Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.

•Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.

•Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.

•We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.

•We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules.

•Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

•You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.

•Do not argue with the Admins about proper use and policy.

The Board Rules do not prohibit hijacks, off-topic posts, silliness, lame attempts at jokes, etc. Perhaps they should. That's another matter of debate to be taken up with the mods, not the other posters.

They do, however, prohibit personal attacks, insulting posts, and rudeness. Such as, perhaps, asking a poster if he is a 13-year old because he sounds like one, or questioning whether another poster is strong enough to pull a bow, and hence not a real man, because you disagree with his politics and how far away he lives from Texas?????? Sound familiar? I appreciate your attempted call for informed political debate. How about walking the walk while you're at it?

yyz28: I feel the need for a second time to explain to a poster that my original response to a post of theirs was more of a general comment and not specifically about them. When I responded, I was less interested in mocking your calling out a (blatant) hijack. That was a fair assessment. I actually was trying to point out that there are about 10-12 formulae for posts on this board. The hijack-hijinx is just one of them, and it irritates a certain portion of this board. Conversely, the predictable "Democrats Bad! Evil I tells ya" bereft of actual political discourse is another formula that also irritates a certain portion of the board (and for the record, I work in a VERY liberal office and get SICK AND TIRED of the predictable "Conservatives Bad. Evil I tells ya" talk.)

Since no one asked, let me be even more clear. When it comes to political discussions here, I consider there to be generally three types of posters on either side of the politcal spectrum:

1. Sanctimonious know-it-alls who feel compelled to lash the boards with their infallible wisdom. They generally post the same basic ideas, derived from the respective talking-heads of their political leaders, regardless of the topic at hand, and almost always, though not exclusively, start political threads. And take disagreement or the splitting of intellectual hairs as a sign that you are giving the devil a hand job 'cause if yer not wit us, yer agin' us. This is actually a very small percentage of the board's posters. Just a handful on both sides.

2. The generally-interested in politcs who like to mix it up with those who have opposing views. It's like playing the dozens with the constitution as your primary text. This group is the large majority who post on politics, and though often passionate in expressing their viewpoints and beliefs, treats the other side with respect. These people don't get in trouble with the mods cause they follow the above quoted rules. This majority is actually good for the board. (for the record: I include you in this group yyz28. Just wanted to be clear)

3. The group of posters who simply crack my stuff up on a consistent basis. I don't care what they're saying cause it's funny. Tasty and Quoner, who've been called out here for attempted funnycide, are in this group. In the interest of fairness, off the top of my head UNT90, KingDL1, and Rudy fall into this group from the right of the political spectrum crowd. How can you be mad at someone who isn't taking themselves all that seriously?

So, yeah, the hijacking annoys some people. Maybe it should be banned. Take it up with those in power. Rules get rewritten all the time when the majority changes its mind. However, there are other little formulae of responses that equally annoy others. Read the rules, follow them, or get out. That or secede from the Union cause you know better. I hear that's all the rage these revolutionary days.

Honestly, I don't get all the angst. This board overall is a pretty happy-fun-time place compared to most, and I enjoy checking in on it for my North Texas fix every chance I get. Sure, not everybody is on the same page, but that's just life. I also remember it being like that when I was in school at NT. Still love the place.

I get on a plane in 4 hours. If I've offended someone personally, I'll PM an apology when I return in two weeks. I made this offer once before, and no one took me up on it. Merry Festivus Ya'll!

Such as, perhaps, asking a poster if he is a 13-year old because he sounds like one, or questioning whether another poster is strong enough to pull a bow, and hence not a real man, because you disagree with his politics and how far away he lives from Texas?????? Sound familiar?

Yes Nancy, it does sound familiar. Those were discussions on the forum that is titled "The place for Non-UNT Sports, politics, and general discussions and debate. Pretty much everything goes. Not a place for the timid or shy!".

You must be timid and shy?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I hope it's not the APR that takes a hit. The APR doesn't deserve it.

I think that if we didn't care about the APR so much, things like that wouldn't happen. Situations like that just show how deeply we love the APR.

Also, you are a hijacker, sir. Of crappy photoshop work.

I will be expecting your notarized apology ASAP.