Darrell Dickey

megagreen

Sam Houston State has named six finalists for its vacant head football coach position, among them former University of Houston coach Kim Helton, current UH co-offensive coordinator Jason Phillips, former Blinn College coach Willie Fritz and Klein Oak coach Dave Smith.

Sam Houston State athletics director Bobby Williams said the on-campus interviews will take place Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The Bearkats are looking for a replacement for Todd Whitten, who was fired last month.

“At that point, I will consult with university president Dr. James Gaertner and we will work together to reach a decision as soon as possible,” Williams said in a statement.

The other three candidates are New Mexico offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey, who led North Texas to four straight Sun Belt titles and former A&M Consolidated and Killeen Harker Heights head coach Ross Rogers.

This is from an article today in the Houston Chronicle.

Sam Houston State has named six finalists for its vacant head football coach position, among them former University of Houston coach Kim Helton, current UH co-offensive coordinator Jason Phillips, former Blinn College coach Willie Fritz and Klein Oak coach Dave Smith.

Sam Houston State athletics director Bobby Williams said the on-campus interviews will take place Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The Bearkats are looking for a replacement for Todd Whitten, who was fired last month.

“At that point, I will consult with university president Dr. James Gaertner and we will work together to reach a decision as soon as possible,” Williams said in a statement.

The other three candidates are New Mexico offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey, who led North Texas to four straight Sun Belt titles and former A&M Consolidated and Killeen Harker Heights head coach Ross Rogers.

This is from an article today in the Houston Chronicle.

Good for Dickey

a lot of experienced former head coaches for a minor 1-aa job. who said unt could not get experienced applicants?

When your a school like UNT and you throw away your coach a year and a half after his last bowl appearance and two weeks after having a heart attack people might think its not a good place to work.

When your a school like UNT and you throw away your coach a year and a half after his last bowl appearance and two weeks after having a heart attack people might think its not a good place to work.

show me a coach with a boring offense and overall losing record and i will show you a head coach eventually out of work.

When your coach makes a career out of calling the fans/supports "m-f'ers"....you are probably gonna get cut less slack than a coach who doesn't offend (or whose coordinators verbally attack) the program's supporters.

When your coach makes a career out of calling the fans/supports "m-f'ers"....you are probably gonna get cut less slack than a coach who doesn't offend (or whose coordinators verbally attack) the program's supporters.

He made his career with back to back rushing champs, ripping off 26 straight conference wins while taking us to four straight bowl games on the back of a highly-ranked defense. He lost his career due to a myriad of issues that have already been rehashed here to the point of massive skull-crushing power down fail.

When you're a poster that continually throws out posts like this, people might think you have an agenda.

He made his career with back to back rushing champs, ripping off 26 straight conference wins while taking us to four straight bowl games on the back of a highly-ranked defense. He lost his career due to a myriad of issues that have already been rehashed here to the point of massive skull-crushing power down fail.

I am afraid of the can of worms this might open up, but as an outsider to UNT football history/culture, can you rehash some of those issues in list form. The only thing that I know about is the Black Jersey thing, which someone defended on the Sam messageboard. They said that the black jerseys were a deal between Dickey and the players from earlier that season. It was something the players wanted.

Edited by Chrisattsu

I am afraid of the can of worms this might open up, but as an outsider to UNT football history/culture, can you rehash some of those issues in list form. The only thing that I know about is the Black Jersey thing, which someone defended on the Sam messageboard. They said that the black jerseys were a deal between Dickey and the players from earlier that season. It was something the players wanted.

DD is a can of worms, but may have changed by now.

Why because you said so.......

DD did what the players wanted

So, that's what a head coach does these days? He does what "the players wanted". I thought the job of a head coach was to lead and make the decisions, not bow to the wishes of the players on the team. Did you really mean that DD did what he did because the players said so???? Really? Wow, I don't know about other people on this board, but if that is true, I sure would not want such a coach as the head coach of my team if I were an AD. I just personally think the job of a head coach is to lead, not follow....oh, my, I had no idea....WOW! Thanks for letting us in on that piece of info...really, I didn't know.

You know, DD, is history and as much as some would like to see him return and some would like to make sure he never returns and some really think it's ancient history, it just might be time...or long past time...to move on. It is beginning to take on a life of its own. Sort of like Frankenstein. UNT has a head coach, DD has a job and is in the running for another one...good for him...I really don't think anyone would wish any harm or bad to happen to DD. I hope he finds a position he can handle well, be it a head coach or as an assistant...just not at UNT, Oklahoma State or the U of central Missouri as far as I am concerned.

Time to move on folks. The King is dead, long live the King! Dead King=DD Live King=TD. We'll see what happens next season.

GO MEAN GREEN!

You know what will kill the Buick monster? winning.

We can't put him behind us because despite all of the bitterness that was had off the field (and with the unis on the field), he is part of one of the greatest stretches we've ever had. And that can't be forgotten as long as we're lumbering through 2-win miseries seasons.

We really need Dodge to start winning.

So, that's what a head coach does these days? He does what "the players wanted". I thought the job of a head coach was to lead and make the decisions, not bow to the wishes of the players on the team. Did you really mean that DD did what he did because the players said so???? Really? Wow, I don't know about other people on this board, but if that is true, I sure would not want such a coach as the head coach of my team if I were an AD. I just personally think the job of a head coach is to lead, not follow....oh, my, I had no idea....WOW! Thanks for letting us in on that piece of info...really, I didn't know.

This is some amazing interneting right here. Do you really think the players cornered Dickey and beat him with bags of nickels, stolen ipods and guns until he agreed to let them wear fancy black uniforms?

I agree we need to move past tearing him down or building him up all the team, but the reason it never works is because everyone who calls for this does their damndest to get in one last passive-aggressive shot across the bow so they can have the last word or act incredulous when someone has the nerve to carry on the debate and respond. Either really give it a rest, or be prepared to continue to carry on the debate.

Besides, GreenP1 is a noted molestor of baby seals. Can't we just get over it and move past that fact?