A Question

TIgreen01

Is it generally a good idea to open a new stadium with a new coaching staff, who would also be in year 1 of a rebuilding effort?

I'm wondering if the new stadium opening in 2011 is going to possibly force RVs hand in pulling the trigger on Dodge after THIS season. At this point, there is little evidence that a turnaround is ever going to happen. If we finish poorly this year and have another bad season next year, there is no possible way that we'd go into 2011 with Dodge as coach....so that would leave us having to hire a new coach/staff and begin another rebuild. Ideally, wouldn't you want a new staff to already have a year under their belt before having to meet the added expectations that will come with opening up a new stadium---and presenting our football program on the biggest stage it will probably ever have had in this region?

Granted, the best case scenario would be to retain Dodge and have the team perform a big-time turnaround next year....that would lead to the most excitement about both the team and the new stadium going into the 2011 season.

At this point, in my opinion you need to drop Dodge at the end of this season from the Attendance perspective for next year. I have never seen such disgust from our fan base. We have gone from having crowds of 23,000 to roughly 10,000 in a span of maybe 3 games. And don't tell me it is because of the game time. Rubbish. This fanbase has not only given up on the Todd Dodge era, they are disgusted by it. There *IS* a difference.

RV. Buddy. Pal. Time to pull the plug on the Todd Dodge era.

At this point, in my opinion you need to drop Dodge at the end of this season from the Attendance perspective for next year. I have never seen such disgust from our fan base. We have gone from having crowds of 23,000 to roughly 10,000 in a span of maybe 3 games. And don't tell me it is because of the game time. Rubbish. This fanbase has not only given up on the Todd Dodge era, they are disgusted by it. There *IS* a difference.

I am going to have to agree with you here. I am thoroughly disgusted. I actually walked out of the game with 5 minutes on the game clock at the Monroe game. I have never walked out of a game early like that. I know that there is still some hope that we might pull out another game this season, but I just don't see that happening. This staff is not getting the job done and is not getting any closer.

I just do not see RV pulling the plug because he is tied to Dodge and if does it shows his failure on the hire. I think the plug(s) will be pulled by Dr. Bataille if we go 0-3 to finish the season.

Do you really think Dr. B cares about football?

She sure as hell better care about football if she wants to have the university promoted in all aspects and not just academics. Football for better or worse is on the athletic pedestal, unfortunately because JJ has put up several very good years recently.

Where is the money gonna come from? Sure you can try the "reclassification" route, but there is still a cost if TDodge accepted the deal--whatever that would be. Here is the best hope we have--and I believe it is slim to none--that Dodge decides that HS Football is his thing and he leaves this all behind. Again, that probably isn't gonna happen, as in these economic times, a head coach at a big Texas HS will pay less than half than what his salary commands at UNT. If someone gave that kind of money up knowingly during these times, I wouldn't question their heart--I would question their mind.

Where is the money gonna come from? Sure you can try the "reclassification" route, but there is still a cost if TDodge accepted the deal--whatever that would be. Here is the best hope we have--and I believe it is slim to none--that Dodge decides that HS Football is his thing and he leaves this all behind. Again, that probably isn't gonna happen, as in these economic times, a head coach at a big Texas HS will pay less than half than what his salary commands at UNT. If someone gave that kind of money up knowingly during these times, I wouldn't question their heart--I would question their mind.

Shoulda' been a coach. Fail and get paid the remainder of you contract anyway. What a deal.

Jim,

His ego will not allow that, and he will not walk out on his son. To walk out would make him a quitter in his mind.

Bataille probably cares a little bit about football, but I can assure you she cares a great deal about the image of the university. She can be ruthless when she feels the need. Time will tell.

Well, more to the point, she cares about her professional image. When that gets compromised, someone had better watch out. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that hiring Coach Dodge was not her idea. I'm guessing that (like most successful managers) she trusted the people working for her to advise her on this very important hire. I'll be very interested in seeing who she trusts to make future decisions/recommendations about football coaches.

Edited by SilverEagle

So who will be our new qb when all this goes down? Nathan Tune, who has been cast aside as a failure? A redshirt freshman Thompson or a redshirt sophomore Baine? I wonder if Vizza and Dodge will shake hands when UT and ATM face off in 2010 or 2011.

Vizza is no longer associated with the A&M program, indications are that he never was. I don't think he even attends school there.

Really, why does anyone care where Vizza is enrolled? I don't. The guy is not enrolled at UNT. I wish him well where ever he may be, and good luck good bye. I care about the players playing for UNT..not so much those who have decided to leave the program. Vizza could have stayed and worked hard and been part of this program. He chose not to...his decision. Good bye-good luck. See ya!

GO MEAN GREEN!