Fire Dodge Talk

eppy4life

I will never understand all of you who use this board to constantly trash our coaching staff/athletic department/school leadership. How embarrassing. What is it that makes you feel so entitled? Or even better, why do you think you can make better decisions than those who do this as their occupation? I'd love to create a message board forum to openly discuss my abilities to do your job better than you.

If your point against Dodge is his experience at the college level how about being patient and letting him gain the vaulable experience here? The improvement we've made from last season is encouraging. But did you guys think that starting a freshman quarterback, even if he's as highly thought of as Riley Dodge, would be seemless?

I'll take my lumps from you guys now but rest assured when this thing turns I will be calling each of you out for your jumping ship every week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right! I am always amazed in my industry how impatient people are with new hires. I mean, we just had a guy fired and was only in his position for 4 years. You have to give people time to adjust!

Dodge has only been the coach for 3 years (this December). Three years is just not enough time for someone to learn their new job. True he has been coaching for 22 years, but dammit we have to give him time to gain experience at this level! We should give him at least 7 or 8 years to get his system in place, make the right personnel changes, recruit his own players, etc.

Be patient! Just a few more years left!

that 4-25 record and 3 years worth of recruits/ Yeah Dodge needs more because GD we are UNT and can not be compared to the other 119 D1A schools.

Rock on Dodge, but please start winning some games.

Look, the record sucks--but it has sucked for a long time, even before Dodge. This year's improvement is dramatic--I remember last year that some of the most beloved fans on here were posting about leaving games for the first time before the game ended. And these were blowouts at home against such strong teams like Florida International and Louisiana-Lafayette. I want him to win games, too, but if we gave the previous two guys 4 years to get it figured out, we should at least do the same here. Look at how much attendance has grown over the last 3 years, how much better the recruiting has gotten, and also how nice it has been not to be called MFers and to hear every week how this job is the "hardest job in America". Now if we only win 2 games this year, then the firing decision is tougher--but the $$$ issue still stands. It is my opinion that if we win 3 or more games this year, then he will still be here with the next year to get a winning record. We introduce the new stadium in 2011 and I think the revenue stream alone should help pay for any buyout that will be needed at that point. But we need to give him at least though this year.

Silly talk. It will be what it will be...and it will be Dodge next season after "earning" that right through dramatic on-field improvement, good solid recruiting and more wins than in previous years. Sorry some folks are so intent on seeing the negative...I know Flyer is simply frustrated with the "close but no cigar" stuff...we all are, but, in the end...Flyer along with the rest of the real Mean Green Nation will be there on Saturday to support this team...no matter who is coaching and who wins. Some others will just sit home and complain.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Comparing the tenure at your job and coaching a college football team seems silly to me.

We want to move in and get respect amoung the upper 70% of D1 correct? If so, name me a school that had a coach starting this bad and assuming that we only win 2 more this year, so thus going 6-30 in the first 3 years, in that upper 70% who coached a fourth year and for that matter turned out to be successful? Surely there is one?

**Side note** I don't think we should remove him at this point though. I think we should let him finish out his 5 years....just making a chance after this year at the OC position.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

For many, the question was why did we hire a high school coach, albeit a successful one, spend "x" years learning the game at the FBS level (OJT), when we could have hired an experience college coach and an experienced college staff?

To answer a few points here:

1.) there were maybe a few at most on here that were against hiring Dodge back then--I can pull just about any thread from back then to back this up.

2.) hiring an experienced coach is something we did the last two hires--two OCs from Division 1A teams. Sometimes, it just doesn't translate no matter how experienced you are. Remember, we have hired exactly one coach in 40 years with previous HC experience--Hayden Fry. That worked out fairly well, so in true North Texas spirit, we haven't done it ever again.

3.) The experienced college staff we should have gotten when Dodge started was not hired because of two things--Dodge's mistake in believing that high school coaching assistants would work here, but even more so, the fact that those assistants were affordable to a cash-strapped AD that was still paying for a head coach that had been fired the season before.

Trust me, your frustration is noted--I agree with you on each and every part of it. I will say this, I want Dodge to be the coach here for a loooonnnng time here because he turns it around and begins winning championships. Here's the thing though--if your administration doesn't fund a program seriously, then you get what you pay for. If we do end up firing Dodge at some point, the new stadium should be the top reason that a new coach would want to come here--everything else, except for support, will be top-notch, IMO. We will know a lot about what the university thinks about our program with the next hire, whenever that will be. If we get another non-BCS coordinator, or worse, we will know the answer to that. It is going to take a commitment to make that next step up and I would love to see a guy like Kragthorpe or a Franchione be next in line. Or at least a head coach that has proven his worth at the FCS level at the worst. This would at least tell the fans and alumni that care about UNT Football that we are going to TRY and field a legitimate program that can compete at this level. I just don't want to see the next head coach at UNT being a running backs coach from Okie State or the offensive coordinator from UTEP, or gasp, the head coach from Highland Park HS.

It is incredibly frustrating to be 1-4, when we should probably be 3-2 at this point. But, I see a cruel twist of fate in the near future for this team, even though right now the lynch mobs are out (understandably so).

I don't expect much the rest of this year outside of being competitive. But, next year I can see 7 or 8 wins for this team in Dodge's 4th year (especially if both Cole and Stradford match expectations). Then, the 5th year could be even better due to the maturation of youth and the continued buildup of talent.

What happens then ? At that point everyone will be sucked up in a wave of optimism, just to have the rug pulled out when TD gets a bigger contract elsewhere after his 5th season (his last under the current contract).

At that point, we start the cycle all over again with a new coach. This is the sad life of a North Texas fan. But, we should at least have that new stadium to help in the next coaching search ;)

You're right! I am always amazed in my industry how impatient people are with new hires. I mean, we just had a guy fired and was only in his position for 4 years. You have to give people time to adjust!

Dodge has only been the coach for 3 years (this December). Three years is just not enough time for someone to learn their new job. True he has been coaching for 22 years, but dammit we have to give him time to gain experience at this level! We should give him at least 7 or 8 years to get his system in place, make the right personnel changes, recruit his own players, etc.

Be patient! Just a few more years left!

I do not agree with new hire comparison-this is more comparable to turning around a whole company and in a bad economy. It will simply take more time, Dodge inherited a horrible team.

The talent he has assembled thus far is impressive that buys him more time alone IMO

This is a TEAM sport, fans forget this. It is extreme oversimplification to blame one person, yes he is "CEO" but he needs all the pieces in place first, before we judge. I think he will be there next year as far as having what he needs talent and depth wise.

I also understand the frustration, but realize it is human nature to be impatient, I want to win today but it is not turning out that way. HOLD ON and enjoy the beer and bbq.

Edited by MeanGreenSig

It is incredibly frustrating to be 1-4, when we should probably be 3-2 at this point. But, I see a cruel twist of fate in the near future for this team, even though right now the lynch mobs are out (understandably so).

I don't expect much the rest of this year outside of being competitive. But, next year I can see 7 or 8 wins for this team in Dodge's 4th year (especially if both Cole and Stradford match expectations). Then, the 5th year could be even better due to the maturation of youth and the continued buildup of talent.

What happens then ? At that point everyone will be sucked up in a wave of optimism, just to have the rug pulled out when TD gets a bigger contract elsewhere after his 5th season (his last under the current contract).

At that point, we start the cycle all over again with a new coach. This is the sad life of a North Texas fan. But, we should at least have that new stadium to help in the next coaching search ;)

What can happen if you have success...is you promote from within. That's what I think Boise did...with Peterson. And I think Hawkins before him, was on Koetter's staff and promoted to Head Coach.

So if your scenario plays out and TD moves on to a better gig.....maybe at that point one of his assistants is worthy of being our next head coach. Since I've followed NT.....we've never done that. We should have in 1978....when Hayden left....we should have promoted his DC Bill Brashier to be our next head coach.

I just don't want to see the next head coach at UNT being a running backs coach from Okie State....

I would be happy with the runningbacks coach at Texas: http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/spo...te_major00.html

Or, the quarterbacks coach at OU: http://soonersports.com/school-bio/josh_heupel.html

Or, both, with one as the head coach and the other as offensive coordinator. (Although, I realize that I'll see the easter bunny and tooth fairy playing pool and splitting a pitcher of Natural Light at Riprock's before this would ever happen. Dammit.)

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I would be happy with the runningbacks coach at Texas: http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/spo...te_major00.html

Or, the quarterbacks coach at OU: http://soonersports.com/school-bio/josh_heupel.html

Or, both, with one as the head coach and the other as offensive coordinator. (Although, I realize that I'll see the easter bunny and tooth fairy playing pool and splitting a pitcher of Natural Light at Riprock's before this would ever happen. Dammit.)

If we only had 10,000 more fans like Fake Lonnie Finch....we'd have no extra money and not a single extra fan at games.

But we would have 10,000 more know it all pricks on this board.

If we only had 10,000 more fans like Fake Lonnie Finch....we'd have no extra money and not a single extra fan at games.

But we would have 10,000 more know it all pricks on this board.

I love how you think know so much about me, SUMG. Am I to assume that you are Rick Villareal's new toady, following me around the board? Will you ferret out my cell phone number and give it to Rick like his last toady? We had a nice little talk in the spring when he finally used it. He never took up my offer for lunch, though, like he said he would. He's a busy man. I understand.

Maybe you can go one step further than his last toady and stake out my house, see what my personal habits are. Peep through the window at my wife...try to give candy to my kids...sift through my garbage cans out back. Perhaps you could peek into my mail box to make sure everything was addressed to me and not Kenny Evans.

You could tailgate me all the way up 380 to the remaining UNT home games, just to make sure I'm there. You could sit right behind me...maybe lick the salt off the peanut shells I discard or eat the ice out of my drink when I'm finished with it or waggle some M&Ms off my kids.

And, just think, you'd be doing all of this just because I have a different opinion about the direction of my alma mater's football program than you do.

The Dodge hire was cheap and locally exciting. It's worked out horrible. The progress we're seeing now is promising, but it's season 2 promising not season 3 promising. My love of Dodge seems to have lasted longer than most, but it's beginning to wane. I want him back next year, but after that all bets are off.

This thread has turned creepy. I'm just gonna turn around and walk back out.

Edited by Green P1

To answer a few points here:

1.) there were maybe a few at most on here that were against hiring Dodge back then--I can pull just about any thread from back then to back this up.

100% correct on that one...even voicing the least bit of concern about hiring a HS coach back then brought out the lynch mob...Todd Dodge for OC/Asst. Head Coach?

This experiment has gone far worse than I could have ever imagined, but I stand by Todd Dodge. Had the first five games of this season been blowout losses, I'd be ready to cut him loose. However, I have (finally) seen marked improvement. I think this improvement is partly due to this year's relatively soft schedule but I attribute most of it to more experience - for both the players and coaching staff. I know it's been said a thousand times but I'll say it again....this team is still young and learning how to play together. Now, if they can just learn how to play with a lead and finish strong, we'll start seeing some wins. If we can somehow manage to end the season on a five-game winning streak, I think this board will be a much happier place.