Uh Article In Today's Houston Sports Page

kingwoodgreen

I was reading today's Houston Chronicle (the DMN is superior) and came across an article on this weeks game they have with tech. I wish someone could try and post it here.

It was discussing how the students were camping out to get the remaining 100 or so tickets for the sell out. One student was surprised at the school spirit and was explaining how usually people wear jerseys on campus of other schools. Is this in our future. Being an old SWC school gives UH some history we do not have but this school should not be heads and shoulders above us and they are. They have had some big time alums step and give money but this school is nothing so special that they should be above us in sports.

I have been a reader of the DMN for many years and have always been envious of the coverage the Houston paper gives LOCAL area colleges on the events they just had and are having that day in ALLLL sports when I am visiting. The DMN gives most to pro teams, tex and a&m and a slightly better coverage of football THIS year for locals. If it were Houston, even DBU, UTD, comm.colleges, etc would get some daily props.

I have been a reader of the DMN for many years and have always been envious of the coverage the Houston paper gives LOCAL area colleges on the events they just had and are having that day in ALLLL sports when I am visiting. The DMN gives most to pro teams, tex and a&m and a slightly better coverage of football THIS year for locals. If it were Houston, even DBU, UTD, comm.colleges, etc would get some daily props.

This is very true. The DMN may be a better paper all around, but I'll take the Chronicle's sports section any day over that of the former (even with local ass-hat Richard Justice).

When you think about it, UH has as good a winning tradition as any other Texas mid-major in almost every sport. That's how they manage to pull big donors. They've also got a lot of Baby Boomers that went to school there during their heyday in the SWC that want nothing more than to return to some form of glory after feeling slighted by Texas and A&M during the formation of the Big 12.

This game against Tech should be an exciting one. It will be interesting to see how Tech bounces back and how UH deals with all the hype.

When you think about it, UH has as good a winning tradition as any other Texas mid-major in almost every sport. That's how they manage to pull big donors. They've also got a lot of Baby Boomers that went to school there during their heyday in the SWC that want nothing more than to return to some form of glory after feeling slighted by Texas and A&M during the formation of the Big 12.

This game against Tech should be an exciting one. It will be interesting to see how Tech bounces back and how UH deals with all the hype.

I feel sorry for Cougar high in this regard. Back in the 70s thru the early 90s, they were good to very good just about every year. When it became clear that the old SWC was not gonna make it much longer, UT wanted to join either the Pac-10 or the Big Ten because of those conference's academic and athletic reputations. UT did not want to entertain the SEC, even though overtures had been made by that conference to invite UT and A&M, because of academics in the SEC. A&M was all for it, though, so the SEC looked into getting UH as a partner for the Aggies to join the SEC, too. But, the Texas Legislature basically said that there is no way Texas will be in a conference without A&M, so the SEC idea got shot down, as did the Pac-10/Big Ten idea. Basicaly, the old Big Eight then came in and said we want A&M and Texas, but the folks in the legislature with Baylor and Tech ties soon made it clear that they weren't going anywhere without them, too. Unfortunately for UH, their attendance was never good, and with A&M's proximity to Houston, the Big XII knew that they could get that market covered, leaving UH high and dry. Imagine how pissed you would be if you were a UH fan/alum. You were once being mentioned to be in the mother of all BCS leagues (SEC) only to get that pulled out from under you and get left out COMPLETELY. I suppose the rumor of UNT to the old SWC might compare somehow, if it is true.