Crazy Expectations

GrandGreen

Apparently a lot of posters thought that NT really had a chance against one of the best teams in the nation at their stadium missing their QB and two of their best players from the offensive and defensive line. I assume this, because there are so many posts about money games, going back to 1-aa, and the lost season ahead. Geez, after the last 5 seasons I would have thought all the fair weather fans would have been weeded out.

I was hoping for better results, but frankly the game played out as I expected. The season is far from over, and I predict a very good game next week. The Alabama game is over and will be quickly forgotten if NT can beat MTSU next week.

Apparently a lot of posters thought that NT really had a chance against one of the best teams in the nation at their stadium missing their QB and two of their best players from the offensive and defensive line. I assume this, because there are so many posts about money games, going back to 1-aa, and the lost season ahead. Geez, after the last 5 seasons I would have thought all the fair weather fans would have been weeded out.

I was hoping for better results, but frankly the game played out as I expected. The season is far from over, and I predict a very good game next week. The Alabama game is over and will be quickly forgotten if NT can beat MTSU next week.

Amen. This place has gotten so desperate emotionally that many here tried to parlay a win over a very bad Ball State team into competitiveness against Alabama.

That's my point.

That's why we don't need to play these games.

We need to play these games... otherwise we wont have a program at all.

But, I like just playing 1 a season. And hopefully, given time we begin to have a chance to get a win out of it.

In the mean time we need to have reasonable expectations against such competition and go with it.

Though, the only thing to me is that it seemed that our boys accepted defeat before stepping on the field which I do think is disheartening.

I am a homer and I have a view with my green sunglasses and one view with reality, other than a miracle chance 50-1 or wilder we were not going to win. Not this year but I will not say this is a forever type thing. I think we will win the future, I expect our program to build on small successes and keep the ball rolling until we have plenty of big successes.

I don't believe anyone in their heart really thought we could compete with the likes of Alabama this year, I do like our chances in the Belt to be competitive this year.

My expectations have been low since the Ball State game. Everyone was so high on the program thinking we just beat a 12-0 Nate Davis led, Grady Hoke coached program with a veteran o-line. The truth is we beat a Ball State team coached by someone who hasn't been a head coach at any level since leading a 1988 Kansas State team to a 0-11 record, led by a redshirt freshman qb (not coached by his father running the same offense he has run his entire life), with a mostly freshman o-line, that can't beat a I-AA program.

When we left points on the board against Ball State, I knew it would be a long season. I bit my tongue whil everyone was so high on the program. I bit my tongue again after sitting in the wet and cold through 4 quarters and 2 overtimes while we lost to a poor MAC program that went 4-8 last year.

When this team can take finally score when it is in the redzone and tackle like a I-A team should, then I will jump on the bandwagon. Until then I will attend the games as usual but I won't be drinking the green koolaid.

So we should disregard that Balls Taint was 12-2 but take into account that Ohio was 4-8? I just need clarification.

We were 1-11 last year!

Sorry, I failed to mention that they maintain the same qb and coach but theat same qb was fighting injury this entire season and was even knocked out of our game. That didn't matter as they were still the victors.

That's my point.

That's why we don't need to play these games.

--- We get a lot of revenue from this games (which we need) and it doe get some attention paid to us. I do agree that we should not really want to play teams in the top ten but some from the top 25..... if we can get a good payday. One of these per year is not that bad ... several are. A few years ago we actually did fairly well against Texas and they could not score the final 2.5 quarters and they were trying to do so. We really need to have about one of these high profile teams for financial and competitive reasons.... just not quite so highly ranked.

--having said that... the result was about as I think we should have expected. We are not top team by far and should not expect to be for a while but we a lot better than what existed last year. People should have reasonable expectation and and 1-11 isn't it nor is 11-1.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

If you don't play the best, how can you fully understand what it takes to be there? That is why I have always said "Hell NO!!" to dumbing down our schedule. Those teams are not populated with select specimens from some super race, they are athletes just like ours. Those big teams have more talent on the roster from top to bottom, but I'll wager that they all put their pants on one leg at a time and extrude odiferous excrement. I have seen a lot of crazy things happen in football, thats why the games are played. Some day our team will rise up and pull off an App State. In the meantime, the experience at Bama had to help them be a better team. How they played and what they learned from the solid execution of that Alabama squad was a helluva lot more significant than the final score in this game. They can go into the stretch of nine games ahead knowing that they can still accomplish their goals and I think they are better equipped to do it now.

Not to keep making excuses but the backup that came in was a senior with several starts under his belt. Ohio is a solid, though unspectacular team. NT put out a good effort that came up short. Unlike last year, they never quit.

Michigan turned out to be a pretty damn bad team the year Appalachian St beat them, but it doesn't stop everyone from using that as an example of what is possible. That defeat of Michigan, it turned out, was no more fantastic than ULL beating KState this year.

Not exactly--Michigan ended up being pretty decent actually and they beat Florida in their bowl game to end the year. That Appy State loss just killed their season. They were good, but that loss just crushed that team. I can promise you that K-state won't be playing in any bowl game this year.