Not only is the beer over here 10 times better thatnpne most American beer, it is also rediculously cheap too! So much so that the pub I am sitting in is charging 26 kn for this 1/2L of amazing pilsner I am drinking which equates to aboun 2 dollars! Not only that but pretty much everyplace I have been over here in Prague has beer priced less that coca-cola!

26kn for amazing beer or 42kn for a coke. That really isn't even a contest

---Beer etc. is probably as cheap here....BUT.... once all the sin taxes are added on by all of our "moral conservatives" ...it gets very expensive.

---One other law than has been put into place by the "moral conservatives" in Texas forbids people from buying a bottle of wine at a restaurant, drinking part of it and then taking the rest home to finish later as Europeans do...... What happens in Texas???? The purchaser doesn't want to leave it 1/2 full on the table so they drink it all and drive home half or completely drunk.... That really makes sense doesn't it.

---Europe is rather amazing in that reguard... I have even seen beer machines (like coke machines) that are coin opperated.

--- As I have told a few times while in Europe.... Europeans do drink more.... they just drink it regularly and don't wait until Friday or Saturday night to drink it all at once. I have seen a lot more drunk Americans than drunk Europeans.... even in Europe (well maybe not in London near pubs....LOL) .

---For those who have not been in Europe ... I think you will find Europe (especially western Europe, never been to Prague) a lot more advanced and different than you think of it as being.... The first flat screen monitors and TVs I saw were in Amsterdam and they were very, very common there then and we had none except a few laptops had appeared. . Most were Phillips brand (home office is Netherlands as is Shell, Marriot, KLM airlines). People don't own as many cars per family because they just don't need them...public transportation is very very good... (which also cuts down on intoxicated driving) .

Last comment: Europeans are far more open about nudity (statues, pictures, paintings, etc.) but their illigit. birth rate is far less. Those would be picketted here as indecent if they appeared here. There it is mostly a "so what" attitude and ignored....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

---Beer etc. is probably as cheap here....BUT.... once all the sin taxes are added on by all of our "moral conservatives" ...it gets very expensive.

---One other law than has been put into place by the "moral conservatives" in Texas forbids people from buying a bottle of wine at a restaurant, drinking part of it and then taking the rest home to finish later as Europeans do...... What happens in Texas???? The purchaser doesn't want to leave it 1/2 full on the table so they drink it all and drive home half or completely drunk.... That really makes sense doesn't it.

---Europe is rather amazing in that reguard... I have even seen beer machines (like coke machines) that are coin opperated.

--- As I have told a few times while in Europe.... Europeans do drink more.... they just drink it regularly and don't wait until Friday or Saturday night to drink it all at once. I have seen a lot more drunk Americans than drunk Europeans.... even in Europe (well maybe not in London near pubs....LOL) .

---For those who have not been in Europe ... I think you will find Europe (especially western Europe, never been to Prague) a lot more advanced and different than you think of it as being.... The first flat screen monitors and TVs I saw were in Amsterdam and they were very, very common there then and we had none except a few laptops had appeared. . Most were Phillips brand (home office is Netherlands as is Shell, Marriot, KLM airlines). People don't own as many cars per family because they just don't need them...public transportation is very very good.

Last comment: Europeans are far more open about nudity (statues, pictures, paintings, etc.) but their illigit. birth rate is far less. Those would be picketted here as indecent if they appeared here. There it is mostly a "so what" attitude and ignored....

In his defense, I didn't see the cat in the middle of the road until the last second either... :ermm:

In his defense, I didn't see the cat in the middle of the road until the last second either... :ermm:

---And the "cat" closing his eyes (and mind) to the reality of the situation didn't change anything either. ....LOL (whatever that means)

• Upvote 1

...But their income and other taxes are higher. It's true, there is no eutopia. :frown:

Good thing about Europe is --- keep religious beliefs more private. There is an understated respect for peoples spiritual beliefs.

Bad thing is that the taxes are crazy high. However free healthcare, not as much invasion of personal freedoms, not as many suing laywers.

Good and bad with every country. US is no different. I hope you are having a blast over there! Sounds fun.

Awesomeness is being had by all, well me, cuz I am the ony one here that I know.... I am here on business, but if you are going to travel for work I can think of alot worse places.

As far as the sin tax thing.... They have it to, check out gasoline for one. But especially on liquor, wine, cigarettes, coca-cola etc. They actually don't have much of a tax on beer because it is a central part of Czech Culture. I have been learning quite a bit over here about the social, political, economical and personal policies over here and they are interesting. If curious let me know.

Now back to the important part of the thread, I might be needing some advice. My girlfriend is from Prague and her parent's are over here. They have been "taking care of me" all week though I have been working and staying at a hotel they have been recruiting english speaking family members and showing me around town, every night a new pub or bar or club or concert. All in all it is great, except for the cant communicate well thing. My question comes here; Tomorrow they are taking me to their cottage outside of Prague, they have basically invited the entire family to come meet me, I think the guest list is up to 12-13 at this point. Now my girl and I are not married or engaged, but she does live with me and she is from Prague as recently as 5 years ago. I don't have any idea what to expect tomorow, what to say to these people (those that speak english or I can find proper statements in the phrase book), I don't know what they expect from me tomorrow.... Basicaly I am in a pickle of anxiety. The cottage will be great, there is supposedly a great little pub there, and horses nearby etc. So how about it fellas, any help?

Awesomeness is being had by all, well me, cuz I am the ony one here that I know.... I am here on business, but if you are going to travel for work I can think of alot worse places.

As far as the sin tax thing.... They have it to, check out gasoline for one. But especially on liquor, wine, cigarettes, coca-cola etc. They actually don't have much of a tax on beer because it is a central part of Czech Culture. I have been learning quite a bit over here about the social, political, economical and personal policies over here and they are interesting. If curious let me know.

Now back to the important part of the thread, I might be needing some advice. My girlfriend is from Prague and her parent's are over here. They have been "taking care of me" all week though I have been working and staying at a hotel they have been recruiting english speaking family members and showing me around town, every night a new pub or bar or club or concert. All in all it is great, except for the cant communicate well thing. My question comes here; Tomorrow they are taking me to their cottage outside of Prague, they have basically invited the entire family to come meet me, I think the guest list is up to 12-13 at this point. Now my girl and I are not married or engaged, but she does live with me and she is from Prague as recently as 5 years ago. I don't have any idea what to expect tomorow, what to say to these people (those that speak english or I can find proper statements in the phrase book), I don't know what they expect from me tomorrow.... Basicaly I am in a pickle of anxiety. The cottage will be great, there is supposedly a great little pub there, and horses nearby etc. So how about it fellas, any help?

The relatives speaking Czech and laughing are talking about you. Just laugh with them.

---For those who have not been in Europe ... I think you will find Europe (especially western Europe, never been to Prague) a lot more advanced and different than you think of it as being.... The first flat screen monitors and TVs I saw were in Amsterdam and they were very, very common there then and we had none except a few laptops had appeared. . Most were Phillips brand (home office is Netherlands as is Shell, Marriot, KLM airlines). People don't own as many cars per family because they just don't need them...public transportation is very very good... (which also cuts down on intoxicated driving) .

Good Lord. Thanks for taking a post/thread about how inexpensive beer is in Prague and beating me over the head with your liberal political views.

Sounds like the perfect situation in which "you should just be yourself".

Seriously, one thing you might expect is to have alot of food offered to you. My Grandmother is Czech and everytime I visit her, she's cooked a dozen different deserts for me to enjoy. Good food though. Just eat as much as you can and politely decline the rest.

Good Lord. Thanks for taking a post/thread about how inexpensive beer is in Prague and beating me over the head with your liberal political views.

It really sucks when it's not what you agree with, huh? If someone was moderate, they could even be annoyed equally by both sides.

• Downvote 1

I have found my ability to speak foreign languages increases geometrically with the amount of beer consumed. Just sayin...

Hey, hey guess what.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this matters. It's a thread about vacation and beer that's taken a dirty liberal turn - it's freaking transient kitsch, not the bloody Cuban Missile Crisis. God.

Hey, hey guess what.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this matters. It's a thread about vacation and beer that's taken a dirty liberal turn - it's freaking transient kitsch, not the bloody Cuban Missile Crisis. God.

The subtle quote feature can be a dangerous weapon - or a sexy, sexy mistress. It almost needs a tag.

• Downvote 1

---What is liberal about wanting to stop drunk driving... People who drink it all up before leaving the restaurant cause more drunks and accidents on the roads... That is not the case in some states and Europe.... as for the original comment, he was talking about how cheap beer was there... I just commented why... America especially Texas taxes it a lot and drives up the price so it it is much more expensive here. ...How is that being a liberal..??? I was talking about excessive taxes and drunk drivers?????? You will have to explain that one.

---And just which political party was I promoting???? You got me... crazy... some people are like Sen. Joe McCarthy (cerca 1950) who saw commies on every corner and in everything.

• Upvote 1

It really sucks when it's not what you agree with, huh? If someone was moderate, they could even be annoyed equally by both sides.

I thought I was liberal, then my sister from San Francisco called (she periodically gets in touch to let me know I ain't living right), and made me feel more moderate to conservative. I'm really somewhat left of center though, so if any conservative here wants to get on my case for not being conservative enough, feel free. I'll just feel like Barry Goldwater said, in so many words, "I stayed where I was, and everybody else moved".

Oh, and as far as what to do for the relatives, get them some of the best food you can find. My family has strong ancestral ties to the Moravian immigrants to the United States (Nicholas Garrison, kin of my mother's Garrisons in the early 1700's, captained the ship "Irene" that brought many of them to the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania area from Germany, through Holland and England). Some of them later moved to the Winston Salem, N.C. area where they have their historical town, "Old Salem". They call their religion "Unitas Fratrum" (Unity of the Brethren), and many of them have honestly described the best part of their religion as "the food". I go to Old Salem once a year now, so that I can enjoy true food! Those folks treat me and my wife with great respect, especially after I told them of my familial links to "Captain Garrison".

From what a Slovakian immigrant to this country where I work told me, most of what was Moravia is now back in the Czech Republic, after having been subjected to the boundary changes of twentieth century Europe. Still, those adhering to the Moravian faith in this country seem to self identify as being of German ancestry, perhaps because they found a haven from religious persecution there, but only for a while. Personally, I think the Moravians have had influence in this country far beyond their numbers. They established the oldest women's college in the U.S. that's in continuous existence, Salem College in Winston-Salem, are said to have established the first orchestra here, and began some of the first practices of Christmas decorating, such as the "Nativity scenes". For those who are impressed by the genealogical efforts of the LDS (as I am, having married an LDS woman), you might be interested to know that the Moravians were keeping such genealogical records before them; in fact, the Moravians living in England in the early 1800's provided shelter to the first Mormons who were missionizing there. Some of them converted, and became part of the Mormon "handcart pioneers".

Of interest to the DFW area, Colonel A.H. Belo, who founded the Dallas Morning News, came here from Winston-Salem by way of Galveston; he was a Moravian from what is now "Old Salem". There is a "Belo Mansion" in downtown Dallas, which, at the time it was built, was an exact replica of the "Belo Mansion" in Old Salem. That mansion in Old Salem has been remodeled into assisted living for the elderly, but anyone familiar with downtown Dallas architecture would not miss recognizing its sibling in Winston-Salem (yes, it has a "Belo" plaque).

So, from what I've seen, good food, good beer, and good coffee are highly appreciated. And they might also appreciate some well deserved respect for what their expatriates have accomplished in the U.S. and elsewhere.

I thought I was liberal, then my sister from San Francisco called (she periodically gets in touch to let me know I ain't living right), and made me feel more moderate to conservative. I'm really somewhat left of center though, so if any conservative here wants to get on my case for not being conservative enough, feel free. I'll just feel like Barry Goldwater said, in so many words, "I stayed where I was, and everybody else moved".

Oh, and as far as what to do for the relatives, get them some of the best food you can find. My family has strong ancestral ties to the Moravian immigrants to the United States (Nicholas Garrison, kin of my mother's Garrisons in the early 1700's, captained the ship "Irene" that brought many of them to the Bethlehem, Pennsylvania area from Germany, through Holland and England). Some of them later moved to the Winston Salem, N.C. area where they have their historical town, "Old Salem". They call their religion "Unitas Fratrum" (Unity of the Brethren), and many of them have honestly described the best part of their religion as "the food". I go to Old Salem once a year now, so that I can enjoy true food! Those folks treat me and my wife with great respect, especially after I told them of my familial links to "Captain Garrison".

From what a Slovakian immigrant to this country where I work told me, most of what was Moravia is now back in the Czech Republic, after having been subjected to the boundary changes of twentieth century Europe. Still, those adhering to the Moravian faith in this country seem to self identify as being of German ancestry, perhaps because they found a haven from religious persecution there, but only for a while. Personally, I think the Moravians have had influence in this country far beyond their numbers. They established the oldest women's college in the U.S. that's in continuous existence, Salem College in Winston-Salem, are said to have established the first orchestra here, and began some of the first practices of Christmas decorating, such as the "Nativity scenes". For those who are impressed by the genealogical efforts of the LDS (as I am, having married an LDS woman), you might be interested to know that the Moravians were keeping such genealogical records before them; in fact, the Moravians living in England in the early 1800's provided shelter to the first Mormons who were missionizing there. Some of them converted, and became part of the Mormon "handcart pioneers".

Of interest to the DFW area, Colonel A.H. Belo, who founded the Dallas Morning News, came here from Winston-Salem by way of Galveston; he was a Moravian from what is now "Old Salem". There is a "Belo Mansion" in downtown Dallas, which, at the time it was built, was an exact replica of the "Belo Mansion" in Old Salem. That mansion in Old Salem has been remodeled into assisted living for the elderly, but anyone familiar with downtown Dallas architecture would not miss recognizing its sibling in Winston-Salem (yes, it has a "Belo" plaque).

So, from what I've seen, good food, good beer, and good coffee are highly appreciated. And they might also appreciate some well deserved respect for what their expatriates have accomplished in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Well then... Thanks! I was unaware that the ties ran so deep, and even connected right at home in Dallas too. Thanks and that is another great idea, get some more historical perspective. I have learned quite a bit from the gf but a litle more never hurt. I know that her father is bringing the first month's newspapers after the Russian occupancy began in the 60's to show me. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing about that time from her dad and grand parents.

Thanks

I try to stay out of these discussions, but your outrage at the accusation is disingenuous and you know it. I couldn't care less about your views or his views, but you posted with an agenda.

--I must be really dumb.... What was my agenda... ??? Just because I mentioned why beer in America is more expensive than most of Europe.?? If you object to term "Sin Tax"... well you did take government didn't you... that is the commonly used term for taxes on tobacco and alcohol... [ for what it is worth, I don't smoke... had an uncle die of emphysema at a young age.. I don't consider it a moral issue at all, just a health one ] As for the restaurant comment, I just think it is dumb to encourage people to drink the entire bottle rather than let them take the "rest" home... I guess that was my agenda... as for liberal... get real.... I am so dumb that I just can't figure out what was liberal about anything I said. Political... don't get that one either.

---Some people just want to scream "liberal" if they hear something they disagree with.....!! But in my post, there is not much there to disagree with anyway.... unless you completely oppose alcohol and think we should go back to prohibition. I am not even supporting either point of view.. Go have a beer ( or coke) and lighten up. .

---My outrage... what outrage?? maybe now about your post and accusations..... the world is not all about conservative/liberal.... or politics... although some try to make it that way.

If you don't care about other people's ideas or points of view (your comment) .... then don't read this section of GMG.

• Upvote 1

Jump a train and go to Munich for Octoberfest. Should be starting now!! I recommend the Paulner Tent at the end of the fairgrounds on the right. Get there early.....before 11 am or you may not find a seat. The one and the original. Once you tell the German sitting next to you that you are from Texas and buy them a beer you will have made a friend for life.

Jump a train and go to Munich for Octoberfest. Should be starting now!! I recommend the Paulner Tent at the end of the fairgrounds on the right. Get there early.....before 11 am or you may not find a seat. The one and the original. Once you tell the German sitting next to you that you are from Texas and buy them a beer you will have made a friend for life.

---Funny.... About 1973 I was on a boat (ferry) going down the Rhine. An older guy yelled at us "Are there any Texans in the group" (a lot of Americans on ferry) and I raised my hand (sorta-of). He did a fast-draw routine on me and came over talked to me for a while... He obviously had had some very good experiences with some Texans following WWII. Didn't hurt any that I have a German/Dutch heritage either. A lot of Texans at that time (WWII) did.... smaller percent now.

• Upvote 1