Top ten Most Frustrating games that come to mind over the last 15 year

untjim1995

Can't remember the year, but it was one of Hayden Fry's better seasons. We played Oklahoma State in Stillwater and got creamed 70 something to not much for us. Anyway, the NT coaches claimed after the game that OSU had tapped into their headsets and knew all the plays before we executed them...then later, it was rumored that Jimmy Johnson was paying his players after each game. Not a very fond memory.

Make that Boise loss 24-20. Frustrating indeed.

Mitch Maher

Top ten Most Frustrating games that come to mind over the last 15 years:

1. Tech loss where McLane fumbles--if he doesn't fumble, we win and would have all 4 games in Lubbock that we played between 1988 and 2000.

2. TCU game where the fullback dive was in full effect and we lose 16-10

3. Arizona wher we have a field goal blocked and returned for a TD, which will then lose 13-9

4. OSU in Stillwater, in our last year as a I-AA team, lose on a last-second field goal

5. Losing to Boise State in the same year listed above, where we get stuffed at the 1-yard line twice and only get 3 points off of those two possession, then lose 24-10 when their one-armed bandit safety makes a huge interception in the 4th quarter to set up the go-ahead score (This would only happen to us, BTW)

6. A&M game at Texas Stadium where Tubby fumbles away the punt

7. SMU game in 2007 which gives them their only win of the season because our defense was so epically awful

8. Memphis in the bowl game because I believe we were as good if not better, but we had too many penalties and mental errors

9. TCU loss featuring the infamous "Throw the Ball" chant

10. 2006 FIU game in Denton--I still think neither team deserved to be credited with a win after that debacle

This is in no order, just games that came to mind. Any others??

Can't remember the year, but it was one of Hayden Fry's better seasons. We played Oklahoma State in Stillwater and got creamed 70 something to not much for us. Anyway, the NT coaches claimed after the game that OSU had tapped into their headsets and knew all the plays before we executed them...then later, it was rumored that Jimmy Johnson was paying his players after each game. Not a very fond memory.

The final in 1975....was 61-7. And you're mixing up two games......as Jimmy Johnson wasn't their head coach in 1975---he was in 1979 when Moore and NT went to Stillwater. In 1975, OSU's head coach was Jim Stanley.

Big West is like the Big 8. Change the name add a couple teams, still the same thing.

But the Big West still exists. If we had stayed in the BW you're implying we would've been independent in football - which isn't the way to go anymore. The WAC took some schools from the BW, the others had nowhere to go except the Belt. It was hardly the worst thing ever to join like you implied. We had little other choice, we might not even have a program if not for the Belt saving us in 2001.

Make that Boise loss 24-20. Frustrating indeed.

Mitch Maher

Mitch, you are correct. I had a typo, but we so should have won that game. I thought you played great that day, but the OL didn't play anywhere close to the way they played all year long. Being on the sidelines at the end of the day was probably as frustrating a day as I remember in my time at UNT.

But the Big West still exists. If we had stayed in the BW you're implying we would've been independent in football - which isn't the way to go anymore. The WAC took some schools from the BW, the others had nowhere to go except the Belt. It was hardly the worst thing ever to join like you implied. We had little other choice, we might not even have a program if not for the Belt saving us in 2001.

Former Big West schools and current conference affiliation:

WAC

Boise St

Fresno St

San Jose St

Utah St

Idaho

La. Tech*

Nevada

New Mexico St

Mountain West

UNLV

Sunbelt

North Texas

Ark St*

La Lafayette*

MAC

Northern Illinois*

*Football only

You take the current WAC lineup and add UNLV, and that was the core of the old Big West (Boise, Idaho and Nevada were brief transients moving up in division), so yes, the Big West still exists in name with four members still there from the 70s, but none of which have football anymore.

As for the WAC, it really is what once was the Big West. The old WAC mostly comprises the Mountain West Now:

* BYU (1962-99)

* New Mexico (1962-99)

* Utah (1962-99)

* Wyoming (1962-99)

* Colorado State (1967-99)

* San Diego State (1978-99)

* Air Force (1980-99)

* UNLV (1996-99)

Edited by oldguystudent

Former Big West schools and current conference affiliation:

WAC

Boise St

Fresno St

San Jose St

Utah St

Idaho

La. Tech*

Nevada

New Mexico St

Mountain West

UNLV

Sunbelt

North Texas

Ark St*

La Lafayette*

MAC

Northern Illinois*

*Football only

You take the current WAC lineup and add UNLV, and that was the core of the old Big West (Boise, Idaho and Nevada were brief transients moving up in division), so yes, the Big West still exists in name with four members still there from the 70s, but none of which have football anymore.

Well, I'm only speaking of the BW as existing when we were in it starting in 1996. At the time football members were - Utah State, Boise State, Idaho, Nevada, MMSU and us. Arkansas State joined near the end of our time(maybe the last season or two).

Mitch, you are correct. I had a typo, but we so should have won that game. I thought you played great that day, but the OL didn't play anywhere close to the way they played all year long. Being on the sidelines at the end of the day was probably as frustrating a day as I remember in my time at UNT.

Hey Jim,

David Brown going down early did not help at all. They came out strong in the 2nd half though. My numbers were something like 240 yards passing if the first half... 37 in the second. Yikes!

Mitch Maher

Hey Jim,

David Brown going down early did not help at all. They came out strong in the 2nd half though. My numbers were something like 240 yards passing if the first half... 37 in the second. Yikes!

Mitch Maher

Good to hear from you, pal. Well, it is heckuva lot easier to pass (and run) when your OL blocks like they are a great unit. When you can't block on 7 straight plays from the one yard line and get an inch, then lose by 4 because you only get 3 points out of those two possessions, 37 second half yards and few points will happen.

Gentlemen. I think we have a new candidate for this list. Tonights game was about as frustrated as I have felt in a long, long time. We had this game in hand and could never deliver the knockout blow when the opportunity came up.

Tonight's game SKYROCKETS to the top of frustrating losses. You can't name all the missed opportunities on two hands on this one. I just hope Riley isn't out for long.

• 6 years later...

I think we can add a new number one to this list...if not more.

FCS Portland State 66--FBS North Texas 7--record breaking loss, leading to head coach getting fired after the game, and leading to countless jokes about being the North Texas State Armadillos by Chip Kelly and the media. The lowest point that a school who is classified as FBS has ever reached...

• Upvote 2

This may not be a frustrating loss on team performance. A frustrating loss that I want to add to the list was the 2013 UTSA loss. If we would have won that game, I have no doubt in my mind we would have played and won the CUSA championship game. We would have gone on to play in the Liberty bowl that year. Even though we ended that year well, that loss put us on a different path to finish the season...

• Upvote 2