Upgrades To The Super Pit

NT03

Attendance would not double for regularly bringing in CUSA schools. It wouldn't even come close to that. Coverage would only be higher when we play a "local" school. Again, unless you think that we can top Memphis or that CUSA is going to start getting multiple bids, there's absolutely no way it's a better basketball conference for us.

Doubling is ridiculous. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a 500-600 ticket bump when we'd play Houston/Tulsa/SMU or any other school with a decent distance or local alumni base. An additional $5000 per game, 3 or 4 times a year... That's enough to turn a guarantee against Jackson State into a guarantee against a Boise State-type team.

I'm happy at the moment, and I don't think CUSA membership is the magical cure-all that turns us solvent and respected locally. But, if I had to choose between CUSA and the Belt as it stands today, I would prefer CUSA.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SBC had two bids the year before last. CUSA had two bids the year after they were raided by the Big East, and only one bid a year since. That bid has gone, and will probably continue to go, exclusively to Memphis. Moving to CUSA may or may not help in football, I don't know. I know that CUSA is just as much an afterthought during sports coverage as the Belt is. For basketball, however, CUSA would absolutely devastate this program.

Well, to be fair CUSA did had five schools in the top 100 of the RPI last year, the Belt had two. They were the 10th rated league, we were 17th(out of 32).

That said, Memphis really throws the strength of the league out of whack. Remove them and they're not THAT much better overall than the Belt. And if Memphis declines, as I suspect they will, over the next 5 years or so - that gap could become non-existent.

Edited by CMJ

i would invite friends to see us play against one of those cusa teams but it is too embarrassing to invite against an sbc team nobody around here has ever heard of. the sbc does not get multiple ncaa bids either. please rv get us into cusa

I don't understand your comment at all. Why would anyone be embarrassed by who a BB team plays? Any half way knowledgeable fan is going to know there are some quality teams in the Belt and overall there is little difference in the strength of the conferences. I do feel for you however, if you are embarrassed by the Belt competition, NT's home oc schedule has to have you in agony.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how it's changed since I've been there, but the concessions used to be as bad/worse than a high school football game. Get someone in there that does something other than warming up gigantic buckets of imitation cheese and pouring it over tostitos. Take a cue from the Rangers who have a regular concession or two, and then a specialty for fries or fajita dogs, or whatever.

There needs to be a team store somewhere in the Super Pit. It brings in money from bored people, and allows first timers or people who can't get to the UU to have some NT gear. It seems like such a no-brainer, but I guess it isn't?

I'm also in favor of a traditional scoreboard over the court. I know it would probably cost $1m or more, but it would do amazing things for the atmosphere.

On gameday, I think they should have banners like the one below (with SOW and "Mean Green" on it, of course) at least on the side of the Pit that faces NT Blvd.

-pic snipped-

DIMMABLE LIGHTS! I know it's a huge investment, and don't know what the payoff would be, but having dimmable lights and a scoreboard at the center of the arena with some sort of production right before the players are introduced? :o

I'm sure there are other things that could be improved, but that's my list for now.

Team store: Check out Door E next time you're there. There is a store in the "family fun zone".

Center Hung Screens: It's common knowledge that the equipment is about a million bucks. The real issue that people have not discussed is wether or not the roof will support the weight. I don't think there is a structural engineering company out there that won't charge less then a million bucks to sign off on the structural integrity of the root.

Lighting: The metal halide lights in the super pit require a 10-15 minute warm up time. So yes going black would be cool but then you delay the game 10-15 turning them back on. They do have shutter mechanisims that you can install on the metal halide fixtures like this one -> PDF of a shutter mech.. But when I last looked up at the ceiling there were over 50+ lights that made up the floor lights. So you have the cost of the shutters, then the cost of cranes and lift to just install them. Not to mention labor, wiring and a control board.

I am a detail guy. I noticed how horrible the maps are and they definitely need to be redone, have you noticed how the bathrooms are flipped on the maps? I'm talking the huge maps you see when you walk in the main entrances. Also, why is it they can't put the game on those flat screens they have around the building? I am all for better ticketing options, for example moving it deeper into the concourse, but I propose they should build two ticket booths outside on the side of the drop off area. During games I would open the third concession stand during half time, maybe make it a drink only stand rather then a drink only line at the other stands; but then again dominos sales drinks too and they are bottle drinks so less risk of spillage. Torn on that one.

Alcohol: it is my understanding that "we" the alumni/students/everyone is given a "pass" by the admin to drink on campus during football game days. We don't have the same luxury during basketball. Now if we could get the admin to provide the same for basketball then "we" as fans could setup a tent and have our own "tailgate" area. Then again you could always join the mean green club at the $500 dollar level and get into the hospitality room before the games and have a tasty beverage.

thats my 2cents.

go Jameson! (whiskey)

-dacat

Center Hung Screens: It's common knowledge that the equipment is about a million bucks. The real issue that people have not discussed is wether or not the roof will support the weight. I don't think there is a structural engineering company out there that won't charge less then a million bucks to sign off on the structural integrity of the roof.

The SuperPit had a center-hung scoreboard when it was built and up until the current wall screens were installed a few years ago. I'm not sure if modern video boards would add that much extra weight, guess it depends on size, but again it was built to support a center-hung module.

Amen to a better center-hung scoreboard. Also, get better lighting on the playing court. Dim those damn court side ad banners because they are too bright for the fans and the video cameras (they look terrible on TV when they are so bright). The Pit is still a very nice BB arena otherwise.

Just thought of another upgrade; change the center court to the SOW. So sick of the "we need to let them know who we are" mentality of the AD. Are we marketing to the dumb who can't connect "N. Texas" to North Texas in the crawl? Oh, they'd have to be deaf too, otherwise they'd hear the announcer saying "North Texas" every 12 seconds.

*throws a chair* :censored:

Lighting: The metal halide lights in the super pit require a 10-15 minute warm up time. So yes going black would be cool but then you delay the game 10-15 turning them back on. They do have shutter mechanisims that you can install on the metal halide fixtures like this one -> PDF of a shutter mech.. But when I last looked up at the ceiling there were over 50+ lights that made up the floor lights. So you have the cost of the shutters, then the cost of cranes and lift to just install them. Not to mention labor, wiring and a control board.

thats my 2cents.

go Jameson! (whiskey)

-dacat

Please see the below on why dimming the lights in the Super Pit isn't feasable:

I talked with RV about being able to dim the lights and he said there is too much risk involved. There are no hand rails plus the stairs are not lit, so it is a trip hazard and the university would be held liable if someone were to fall and get hurt when the lights are dimmed/turned off. This may or may not be the reason why the Pit hasn't hosted a concert in a long long time.

i would invite friends to see us play against one of those cusa teams but it is too embarrassing to invite against an sbc team nobody around here has ever heard of. the sbc does not get multiple ncaa bids either. please rv get us into cusa

Again, why can't we just go to the games to watch North Texas, regardless of the opponent? Why can't you invite friends to any of the games? I just don't understand this arguement. Sure, the OOC schedule is terrible this year, but when I invited people I always said, "Hey, you want to go watch North Texas play ball tonight?" I never brought up the opponent, because it didn't matter.

The SuperPit had a center-hung scoreboard when it was built and up until the current wall screens were installed a few years ago. I'm not sure if modern video boards would add that much extra weight, guess it depends on size, but again it was built to support a center-hung module.

Yep, and I would bet that current technology doesn't weigh near as much as what they used to have up there.

Also, adding shutters, if you can't replace the lights, shouldn't be that big of a problem. They have to change the bulbs that are up there now, which I assume is done from the catwalk. Could the shutters be installed from the catwalk eliminating the cost of the lifts?

Edited by UNTLifer

Having been to a few college basketball games at other colleges, I think the Super Pit is pretty awesome. Relative to its peers and compared to Fouts it's pretty damn good. We should be proud.

If our school were located in New York or somewhere on the East Coast, we would have near-capacity crowds. Fact is, in Texas there are not alot of casual basketball fans. Sure, there are Mav fans, but that's it. They don't like basketball per se but support the Mavericks-- especially when they are the trendy bandwagon team. You don't hear people saying "Man,I can't wait to watch some BASKETBALL dude!'

Lol, people will watch crappy MAC teams battle for mediocrity on Thursday nights but won't come out to watch

There is too much competition in dfw to be mediocre or 'alright' if we wanna draw big time crowds we have got to play big time games Every Year.

It sucks because this team has consistently been pretty damn good these last 4-5 years.

Team store: Check out Door E next time you're there. There is a store in the "family fun zone".

So, for those of us that avoid other people's little brats like they have the H1N1 Flu...and just might actually have it...we're on our own to make it to Voertman's or the Union in time to grab an NT shirt. An actual team store on site would be an incredible addition.

I don't understand your comment at all. Why would anyone be embarrassed by who a BB team plays? Any half way knowledgeable fan is going to know there are some quality teams in the Belt and overall there is little difference in the strength of the conferences. I do feel for you however, if you are embarrassed by the Belt competition, NT's home oc schedule has to have you in agony.

first question is always who are they playing. we are not whorns or aggs, opponent does matter.

Ever so slightly off-topic, since it deals with human resources and not specifically with Pit infrastructure, but ...

I'd like to see the men's team wait until after the Alma Mater to leave the court postgame. The women always wait.

And I'd like to have the boring boilerplate postgame announcements made after the Alma Mater, and to have the announcer ask everyone to stay and stand and take part in the song. A little more ritual would enhance the atmosphere.

I wonder why they just didn't leave the center score board in place. Maybe it would not work with the new system, but it sure is easier to look at than the side score boards. It did not have video or other improvements, but it provided the basics and it is not nearly the distraction looking up as to the sides.

Ever so slightly off-topic, since it deals with human resources and not specifically with Pit infrastructure, but ...

I'd like to see the men's team wait until after the Alma Mater to leave the court postgame. The women always wait.

And I'd like to have the boring boilerplate postgame announcements made after the Alma Mater, and to have the announcer ask everyone to stay and stand and take part in the song. A little more ritual would enhance the atmosphere.

im pretty sure everygame i went to last year (which was all except two) that they stayed on the court for the alma mater...but i could be mistaken

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

Hurry up and get a damn train hooked up between Carrollton and The Pit. Hold the train back until after the game ends, and give a free hotdog to any student with a train stub. That would probably give us a few hundred cheapskate commuters.

The Denton County Transportation Authority says it will have its new A-Train linked to the new DART line at Carrollton in December 2010. They've met their construction schedule so far.

If it's like the current commuter bus, students will ride free with their UNT IDs. So no ticket stubs.

A few more A-Train details relevant to basketball:

No exact schedule yet, but they expect it to run from 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m., hourly in off periods and every 25 minutes during peak times. I don't know from that when the last southbound train would leave, but it sounds like it would be difficult for people to take the train back to Carrollton/Dallas after a game. 7 p.m. games usually end around 9, and the train station will be a few blocks east of the square, way too far to walk. A shuttle bus would be necessary. There almost certainly would be one, but people would risk being stuck overnight in little D if they stayed for overtime.

The DCTA would surely have to have convincing evidence of sufficient demand to schedule a basketball train. But it would be pretty nifty. Advancing to Round II of the NCAA this year might help.