Ohio Game Notes Up Now

island eagle

"Coaches Up/Coaches Down

North Texas will put three assistant coaches in the press box during games and will have six assistants along with head coach Todd Dodge on the sideline. In the press box will be offensive coordinator Todd Ford, along with defensive coordinator Gary DeLoach. Cornerbacks coach Carlton Buckels and safeties coach Chuck Peterson will join DeLoach in the press box. Linebackers coach David Rausch and defensive line coach Mike Nelson will be on the sidelines. Wide Receiver coach Clayton George and offensive line coach Spencer Leftwich will be on the sidelines along with special teams/running backs coach Shelton Gandy. Graduate assistant coaches Brian Morgan and Kevin Barbay will also be in the press box."

When did we start keeping DeLoach in the press box? That's a new thing, isn't it?

That play still has my vote for biggest letdown in my UNT history--dates back to 1990.

Simply a crushing blow to the fans since it happened right in front of us as we were standing there near that enzone. We were simply in disbelief. But that series vs. Tech was the most entertaining, exciting, thrilling series I have ever been a part of in my entire life, bar none.

Simply a crushing blow to the fans since it happened right in front of us as we were standing there near that enzone. We were simply in disbelief. But that series vs. Tech was the most entertaining, exciting, thrilling series I have ever been a part of in my entire life, bar none.

Next biggest crushing blow was the fumble by Coleman at the A&M game in Texas Stadium in 1997. We were tied with the Aggies 10-10 at the half, we stop them 3 and out on their first offensive drive of the second half and the North Texas crowd is going crazy and the Aggie crowd is totally silent. The Aggies punt to us, we try to field a punt that should have been a clear fair catch at the 40, get creamed, fumble and the Aggies suddenly have the ball back at our 31. You could see the air deflating out of our balloon. A team that was inspired one minute and had momentum, suddenly was completely flat. The rest, they say, is history.

Next biggest crushing blow was the fumble by Coleman at the A&M game in Texas Stadium in 1997. We were tied with the Aggies 10-10 at the half, we stop them 3 and out on their first offensive drive of the second half and the North Texas crowd is going crazy and the Aggie crowd is totally silent. The Aggies punt to us, we try to field a punt that should have been a clear fair catch at the 40, get creamed, fumble and the Aggies suddenly have the ball back at our 31. You could see the air deflating out of our balloon. A team that was inspired one minute and had momentum, suddenly was completely flat. The rest, they say, is history.

Wasn't that fumble by Broderick McGrew?

No. Unfortunately, it was Tubby who unfairly got blamed for the loss.

I have a funny story about this. Back in early 2001, before we got married, my wife and I went to a engaged encounter retreat thru the Catholic Church. It was a requirement by the church we were getting married in to attend, so we went to Nolan High School in Ft. Worth for this weekend retreat and quickly found out that I had to share a room with another guy who was attending the same retreat. As luck would have it, my roommate for the weekend was none other than Dat Nguyen, who was in his first or second season with Dallas, IIRC. Anyway, we were talking about college football one night and I mentioned this game, the famous UNT-ATM game at Texas Stadium. His exact words were, "That game was about to get away from us until the return guy for UNT made one of the stupidest decisions I have ever seen." No fair catch, crushing hit, fumble recovery, leads to a TD, and the rest was history. It wasn't ALL Tubby's fault we lost--but his mistake was gigantic. Remember, we had just beaten Tech the week before in Lubbock and the Aggies were ranked 10th in the country at the time. Of course, we followed those great games up with Big West play, where we literally looked as if we had no interest in playing those games and lost at Idaho and to Boise State at home. The season just goes terrible the rest of the way and eventually leads to Matt Simon being fired and being quickly replaced by Dickey.

I have a funny story about this. Back in early 2001, before we got married, my wife and I went to a engaged encounter retreat thru the Catholic Church. It was a requirement by the church we were getting married in to attend, so we went to Nolan High School in Ft. Worth for this weekend retreat and quickly found out that I had to share a room with another guy who was attending the same retreat. As luck would have it, my roommate for the weekend was none other than Dat Nguyen, who was in his first or second season with Dallas, IIRC. Anyway, we were talking about college football one night and I mentioned this game, the famous UNT-ATM game at Texas Stadium. His exact words were, "That game was about to get away from us until the return guy for UNT made one of the stupidest decisions I have ever seen." No fair catch, crushing hit, fumble recovery, leads to a TD, and the rest was history. It wasn't ALL Tubby's fault we lost--but his mistake was gigantic. Remember, we had just beaten Tech the week before in Lubbock and the Aggies were ranked 10th in the country at the time. Of course, we followed those great games up with Big West play, where we literally looked as if we had no interest in playing those games and lost at Idaho and to Boise State at home. The season just goes terrible the rest of the way and eventually leads to Matt Simon being fired and being quickly replaced by Dickey.

Uhhhhhh! I'll never forget how Tubby's fumble changed the momentum of that game. But worse still for me was the fumble at Tech. Our defense kept us in the game the entire time and then the last ditch bomb to McClane. He's running right at us. My 5 month pregnant wife jumping up and down next to me and he's only a step away from stepping out of bounds at the 3 or taking it into the endzone before he fumbles. Then we had to spend the night in Lubbottocks and fly back home the next morning. Everyone was so freaking dejected back at the hotel that night. Unbelievable dissapointment.

Rick

Uhhhhhh! I'll never forget how Tubby's fumble changed the momentum of that game. But worse still for me was the fumble at Tech. Our defense kept us in the game the entire time and then the last ditch bomb to McClane. He's running right at us. My 5 month pregnant wife jumping up and down next to me and he's only a step away from stepping out of bounds at the 3 or taking it into the endzone before he fumbles. Then we had to spend the night in Lubbottocks and fly back home the next morning. Everyone was so freaking dejected back at the hotel that night. Unbelievable dissapointment.

Rick

Remember the picture on the front page of the AJ the next morning. It was a perfect shot of that rat-bastard tech player stripping the ball from LD. What a nightmare game.