This Should Get Some Of You Fired Up

filmerj

So is he trying to make a case that doing worse in football would be better? Or that doing worse in football would be better for our basketball team? I'm all for supporting the basketball team, and all UNT athletics for that matter, but "taking away the focus" (funding?) from football is not going to help any other area of the university.

I do agree with him that there should be more advertisement for our basketball program. We have a good team and it is continuing to build to a great team. 20+ wins for the last 3 seasons is something to be very proud of. The author makes an indirect jab at the stadium money being used for other advertising...I doubt very seriously that the students would have passed a fee for 'advertising'. In my opinion, our football program has only one way to go...up. When winning happens (at it will happen), the revenues come in and articles (and opinions) like these will not make it to print.

I would have to suggest that the author look at his surroundings and soak it all in. Yes, you are in Texas and football is king. I love what Coach Jones has done with the basketball team and I am very proud of them and what they have done recently, but this is a football state. Even though we have not been good in football recently, it provides the most excitement of all sports we have.

Either he doesn't know or has forgotten that we were a winning club at one time.. Every program has down years, well almost every program. I support all NT sports and I do think we need to spotlight basketball more.. but ultimately it's up to the students to care about something and show up. They had winning seasons and people still fail to show.

Edited by filmerj

Brandon Cooper who used to be on the cross country team, takes every chance he gets to degrade the football team. I don't know if it's jealousy because football gets much more coverage or some kind of personal vendetta against football. I find it kind of unusual that an athlete would be so anti other athletes. Plus his lack of logic is apparent. Football is the one sport that comes closest to funding itself. That give up football and concentrate on football is oft suggested and actually used at places such as UTA and Lamar to help soften the blow when they drop football. Is there an example anywhere were a school dropping football has actually bettered basketball? It sounds good in theory, but I think dropping football hurts the other sports not the other way around.

Edited by GrandGreen

Reminds me of what I wrote back in Dec 08 minus all the football hating and bitching.

Football pays the bills and always will. There are only a handful of college basketball teams that out-revenue the football team and those are the legendary ones or ones with no football team.

Promotion problems have been a athletic department wide- and some would say university wide- problem in the past-one that they have taken huge strides to correct. I think the basketball team plays in a comparatively much better venue than does our football team. If the BB team was playing in a crap-not-hs-worthy gym I'd think that people would be clamoring for a better place for them too.

Oh, to be young and foolish. However, basketball needs more attention and needs to not be so timid about scheduling. I cannot wait for the

Southeast Louisiana vs. UNT game and other jokes. We have the facilities, why don't we have the guts to schedule better home opponents?

Yet another media type with no bias at all, right? Fair and balanced...did they forget that part of the program at UNT? Just kidding...goes along with the idea that the school paper might want to look a bit closer as to whether it should support or knock its very own athletic dept. How can a guy miss the importance of football on a campus such as UNT's? Maybe he found some "funny stuff" in the creek beds he ran through during his days on the cross country team, kept some, and is now smoking it while wearing his home made tin foli hat! OK, I jest.

But, seriously, no matter how flawed this guy's thinking is (IMO), he is a college student trying to make a "journalistic" splash. Seems being critical always gets the "press" these days. He's just playing to the crowd and probably thinks a bit highly of his own self and abilities at this stage in his life. He trying, right?

GO MEAN GREEN!

Let me get this straight. The NT Daily ran this article on Monday 8/31/2009 only 4 days before opening kickoff against BSU? What is wrong with these people? If you think our players dont pick up the NT Daily and look it over you are mistaken. I read that thing all the time. Okay I mainly did the Sudoku puzzle then glanced at sports but that is not the point. You are sending a great message to our team by publishing this BS article 4 days before opening kickoff. How about a freakin thank you for the month of hell they just went through to compete on behalf of our university, a season preview, predictions or basically anything other than a slap in the face and you suck before we start playing. I hope I'm not the only one that this thing really did get fired up.

Does this poster have any idea of the results of dropping football?

Midwestern in Wichita Falls dropped football....their enrollment dropped some 20 %. Does he have any idea of the millions of state funding NT would lose with a drop of 20% of student hours? No football players taking courses..approx 105 at NT, No FB player girl friends, and how many students will enroll elsewhere to schools that do play football.

No feed for a uniformed band to play at halftime, a small pep band could play at BB...so less band members and their girl or boy friends they went elsewhere.

It is noted that a few years later Midwestern did bring back football...non scholarship..and their enrolled increased but not to the 20& loss.

Another school what is now UT Arlington dropped football a few years after building a nice football field...they also had a major drop in enrollment..it took over 10-15 years to rebuild student hours to what it is now. Of course they have BB...but this occurred a long time ago 15-20 years and their BB is still playing on a STAGE...although they seem to have a new arena in the forseable future.

Oldtimer class of 1957

Basketball should be a very high priority.

Football isn't the bill payer at home people think outside the well supported schools. Sellout at $20 a ticket and you are are only netting a half million or less depending on the opponent. You can go on the road and net more.

An increase of 1,000 in average attendance in basketball will produce greater revenue.

Post-season, a good bowl trip is break even, in basketball you generate income for six years.

Basketball can be made competitive much faster at a lower cost and return more profit per dollar invested. Producing in basketball makes it easier to make the long-term more expensive investment required to excel in football.

If you don't have basketball in order, it holds you back from growing football.