Who Are You?

The AFLAC Duck

My name is Ray Parrish and live in Kingwood, Texas along with my wife Lisa and our three kids (ages 4,6,9) I graduated with a degree in Real Estate finance in 83. I was a Sig Ep and had the time of my life. I always loved college sports (until the bcs) and am one of the few of my alum friends who still follow the green. Since we live outside of Houston and I volunteer as athletic director for my kids private Christian school the only game I attend is my son and I fly in for the home opener. All my kids own NT stuff that hangs in their room. It is a start.

I grew up in a family business ( electrical distribution) and we sold it all in December. I am curently working on building a 60,000 square foot indoor sports facility in my area and own half of a start up construction company. I first found the Lee Huges site and have been hooked since. I believe in the green.

My name is Rob Black and I am on the 10 year North Texas Plan. I started attending in 94 and met my wife Sara at UNT. I was about 30 hours from graduating when she was diagnosed with leukemia and I had to quit school. She's better now and I work full time and take one class a semester so I'm about 12 hours from being an actual grad.

Came to NT after a stint in the Marines and some junior college in Santa Cruz, California. If somehow we could move the campus to Santa Cruz, I would be in heaven. As it is I really love Denton.

Went to a game in 93 knowing I was going to NT and then jumped in head first in 94. Haven't missed a home game since. Mitch Maher is still one of my all-time favorite players. Usually go to at least 3 road games a year too.

Started the old Mean Green Club when I felt the school wasn't doing enough to promote tailgating and having fun at the games. Had a blast and met some great fans even in the lean years. The party at the Warren's house, the party at the Watkins' house, and the pre-games at the Baylor game and other games are great memories. If you weren't at the pre-game party in Waco a few years back.....well, we made an impression down there.

Can't say enough about those who helped with the old MGC. You guys were/are great.

I have total respect for those fans who have been around for 20-30 years. I've only been around 10 and it's been a rollercoaster ride.

GMG!

My name is Harvey. Received a BBA from North Texas State in 1978. Met my wife of 23 years at NT. My oldest son, Brandon just completed his freshman year at UNT and is currently working and attending summer school in Denton. My hobby for the past 30 years has been following high school sports in the Dallas area (football, basketball & track) Since 1978 I have made as many NT football & basketball games as I possibly could.

Grew up in Dallas and was a huge SMU fan as a kid. Have been in the banking business for over 22 years as Bank Manager, Business Banker and Investment officer. Currently employed with JPMorgan Chase in Dallas. Deceased mother in law also received her BA & MBA from NT.

Thank God for this message board. Over the years, I felt that I was the only alum in the metroplex who gave a damn about UNT.

• 4 weeks later...

My name is Carlos, and I live in Plano, TX. I was known as Eppy94 on Harry’s old board. I graduated from UNT (officially) in 1998 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Radio-TV-Film, and a minor in Journalism. My last full-time semester was Spring of 1994 when I actually walked the stage, only to find out a couple of weeks later that I was three hours short of my degree. It took 4½ years to get back long enough to finish, but I did.

I came to UNT in the spring of 1989 from San Antonio. I made the decision to come to UNT in February of 1988, and subsequently watched the ’87-’88 basketball team win the SLC Tourney on ESPN. In September of that year, UNT played Texas in football in Austin, and I was a face in the crowd, albeit on the other side of the field from where the Mean Green fans were concentrated. My seat happened to be on the back end-zone line where Mr. Cash FAILED to get his foot in for the winning TD reception for the Longhorns, but the officials saw otherwise. Having lived in San Antonio most of my life to that point and having a father who had attended Texas, and having decided only recently NOT to attend Texas myself (because my head told me I’d get a better education at UNT, which I was 100% correct about), I felt a lot of mixed emotions that night, but I came away with a sense of pride in being associated with my soon-to-be alma mater.

During my years at UNT, I pledged Talons, was President of the organization for a semester, and went to football and basketball games with the likes of FirefightnRick, GreenBat and Talon90. FFR hasn’t changed one iota from his days as a student, and as fanatical a fan as he is, he’s that much more of a great friend, husband, father (his son and mine were born two weeks apart). If you haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Rick in person yet, I encourage you to do so during football season. He is everything a North Texas fan should be, but I digress…

Anyway, one of the other things I was privileged to do during my student days was broadcast football and basketball home games in front of the mic on NTTV. Bill Mercer (the voice of the Eagles before George Dunham) took me under his wing and allowed me to go on SLC football road trips and help out with the radio broadcasts during the early 90s. I got to watch players like Mitch Maher, Scott Ford, Byron Gross, Erric Pegram (with the fumble…just kidding, Erric!), and others up close and personal. What a thrill!

Now, I attend at least one home football game a year, and try to get to more when my wife (a UTA alum) and two-year-old son allow. It has been awhile since I went to a basketball game, but I’m hoping to change that this season…

My favorite in-person UNT sports moment is a tie. The Fouts Field victory (pre-expansion) over SMU is 1-A. I had never seen that old stadium so packed, not even for the Centennial celebration earlier that year. The brawl at the end of the first half was right near where us Talons were seated. I have never heard a stadium so loud as when we counted off the final seconds.

1-B would have to be watching the Mean Green run through the tunnel in the Louisiana Superdome for their first New Orleans Bowl. I had not been able to attend a game all season (in fact, I cancelled plans for the Homecoming game against MTSU after we got beat by Northeast, uh, UL-Monroe). I was a basket case sitting by my computer listening to the Idaho game (since my stupid cable company didn’t pick up the TV broadcast), and jumped for joy the whole fourth quarter, announcing to my wife that we WOULD be going to New Orleans to watch the game. The whole New Orleans experience was great, even with the loss to Colorado State. I was not able to attend last year’s game, and really missed being in attendance with my old college buddies, one of whom came from Seattle to attend the game. I attended the watching party at the Embassy Suites near Grapevine Mills, but there was still a part of me that longed to be in the Big Easy. I have already promised my wife a full six-day, five-night trip to N.O. by ourselves when the Mean Green make their third straight trip.

Anyway, that’s my story…I’m looking forward to meeting you all (or seeing you all again, as the case may be) during football season…

Scott Campbell, Flower Mound, TX, Wife is Gay (er, her name is Gay), Ian 7, Emma 4.

Graduated in 1982, Journalism. I sell a treatment for a blinding disease called Macular Degeneration (those of you old guys that post, call me!).

I transferred from UT because I was madly in love and coming home to Ft. Worth every other weekend. Thought it would be a shorter commute to my engaged if I went to NT, and got here in the Spring of 1980.

Immediately pledged Talons, went home twice the first semester, broke up with my girl and jumped head first into enjoying NT.

First athletic event: NT hosted UT in basketball. Pat Hicks, a career .0000001 shooter, hit a BOMB at the buzzer in 2nd (or was it third) OT to win.

First FB game: NT spoiled the UTA stadium opening in the Fall of 1980, I believe 35-16.

Memorable games: The NT win over Texas in 1988, SMU 1990, Utah State win in the last minute, both New Orleans Bowl games, the 1988 Tech and Rice wins, this year's NMSU game.

I am in a bad mood after NT losses (a few less bad moods recently).

Favorite stadiums that I have seen NT games: UT, Rice, Okie State, TCU, Kentucky, A$M, Tech (only because they are so nice to us there--but the expansion is looking awesome), Alabama, UNLV...alright I enjoy seeing my team wherever they play. I have been to approximately 160 NT games.

Least favorite stadium to see NT play: Fouts.

I went to all home games last year, TCU, Texas, New Orleans.

I will be at the Air Force game, all home games and will try to make the Arkansas game.

I give my wife Saturday off after I am on the road all week, so my kids are true NT junkies. Ian got BK's autograph last year at the FB banquet and followed him all the way to his car. Ian asks me almost every weekend to watch the DVD. I have sold 4 additional season tickets this year, but have lined up commitments from about 30 individuals to attend at least one game this year.

I used to say I am "one of about 8 people that care that NT has a football program." I am glad that we are a growing group.

The thing I am most excited about recently is the great game day experience that my family and I are a part of, big upgrade from my early days.

Biggest disappointment is the realization that most of us fans give what we can, but there is a relatively small pool of donating fans of this program. We have a long way to go to get our stadium...I am one who believes that the stadium will make a huge difference.

• 4 weeks later...

My name is Reb Bacchus and I am a 1970 grad of UT. I was at the Cotton Bowl when we beat Notre Dame for the National Championship. I didn't miss a home game from that time until the late '80s when I discovered that my kids soccer games meant empty seats at Memorial. I made several attempts to get the game times changed, but Mr. Dodds wasn't amenable. I still attend all the UT games I can, but I find that soccer is continuing to get in the way. I listened to the UT-UNT game on the radio while driving back from watching UNT destroy Nicholls State.

I have managed to attend one UNT football game, and one basketball game over the last two years and hope to double my attendance this year. However, I am a member of the traveling fans squad for soccer team. I’ve attended the SBC tourney the last two years (Miami and Mobile) and hope to skip this years trip in favor of attending the NCAA tourney that I'm assured we will be playing in this year.

I'm a member of the Mean Green Club, I've been married to the love of my life for almost 35 years, and am mostly retired from the computer business. I have two children, an obedient son who followed my path to UT, played on their national championship soccer club team, and is about to present me with my first grandchild. I also have this daughter… who insists on doing things her way. It is her enthusiasm, and a certain quirky fan base, that has made me a fan of the Mean Green. She finally compared schedules yesterday and has been stomping around the house, complaining LOUDLY about only being able to attend two football games. She will however be at all the soccer games, including all the out of town games.

Taking my tongue out of my cheek, I have to say that I’m very impressed with North Texas. I will be very surprised if UNT doesn’t begin to move up rapidly in the ranks of all the rating services, and I’m not talking about athletics. The difference in the support they offer for the student and the families of students as compared to other large state universities is remarkable, and the academics are equally impressive. I’ve been telling folks with college aged children that they should investigate UNT and a very high percentage of those that do have UNT students or are considering UNT. I think this is a very exciting time for North Texas, and one where support is especially important, thus my membership in the athletic support club.

My name is John Rheaume. I'll be graduating in May '04 with a BM in music education and jazz arranging. I was a member of the Green Brigade for three years on saxophone but will not be able to do it this fall. Still I will be at every home game, OU, and I'm going to really try to make the Air Force game. I'm from Haverhill, Massachusetts (35 miles north of Boston on the NH border) and am a HUGE Boston sports fan (85th time's a charm!)

I came to UNT because of it's jazz program. I was set to go to the Berklee College of Music in Boston before a very nice scholarship made UNT far more attractive. Four years later it has definitely turned out to be the right choice. I've had a blast attending football games and going to New Orleans. I tell my New England friends about our great team - at first they poked fun but now even they pull for the Mean Green. I can definitely see us going 10-2 this year for even more national attention.

In addition to the Green Brigade, I also played two basketball seasons with the pep band. I arranged a few of the songs we played and wouldn't mind doing a few more for the upcoming season. After I'm done at UNT I plan to eventually be a high school band director (even if it means doing middle school for a couple years - ahhh what an age cool.gif - as well as an arranger for regional bands.

I don't post too too much but I really should change that, especially since I read the board quite often. I'm happy about my decision even though being a music major drives me nuts sometimes. I can't wait for the football season though - it's going to be sweet. Glad I could introduce myself!

I think this is a very exciting time for North Texas, and one where support is especially important, thus my membership in the athletic support club.

Reb, thanks so much for your support of UNT, especially considering you are a graduate of UT. This should send a message to all of those UNT alumni that don't see the benefit of being a supporter of UNT and its athletic programs.

My name is Richie. Went to high school with "The Colony Eagle" in Wills Point. BA in PSCI 1998. JD from UT in 2002. City Attorney in Arlington.

I stumbled upon what I believe was the first version of a UNT football message board back in 1996 (i think) and have been a reader and occassional poster ever since. I recognize many of the same people on this board that were around back then, but many of the names have changed. I am DELIGHTED in the exponential growth the internet has helped create in UNT fandom.

My name's Chris. I'm an (almost) Jr. History major and live across Denton from campus.

Sadly I wasn't able to attend any football games last year, but I'm hoping to correct that this year. I hadn't ever heard of NT before I started looking for colleges, but I got a good vibe and never looked back, thank God.

GMG!

My name is Steve Steele, currently living in Flower Mound. I graduated with a BBA in Marketing 1987, returned for my MBA which I received in 1993.I ran Track and Cross Country during my undergrad time (although not near as talented as Mr. Miller) I am a season ticketholder for FB, BB. My wife attends most games with me unless their is a soccer conflict with our boys.

Had an absolute blast in New Orleans and can't wait to return.

Updated the screen name to suit me, previously FutureEagle03. Plan on going into the 5 year BBA/MBA program in the COBA for Accounting. Also thinking about pledging in the Talons when I get up there this fall. But other than that just looking forward to the experience of being at North Texas starting a week and a half.

Edited by NTEagle08