When UNT Builds Its New Football Stadium, What

PlummMeanGreen

Myself, I would love to see a stadium club (like at Texas Stadium) on the upper west stadium with glass being most of its west wall and with a nice view of historic Pilot Knob hill in the distant west. Can you imagine the sunsets you could see from that vantage point? It would be a great place to have banquets, wedding receptions and even high schools could have their proms in that huge room as well.

• Thanks 1

Ok, well I know many Talons and other traditionalists will argue this one:

Nobody ever goes to the lighting of the tower anymore. It just isn't said enough during the game and/or people are just too lazy to make the trip to the administration building. When it is lit (usually any Saturday night in the fall semester laugh.gif ), you pretty much have to been on campus to see it. So I propose "moving" the tradition when the stadium goes across I35. I can't imagine many making the trek to the administration building with the increased distance and I see a lot more participation if there was something just outside the stadium. We could still have green lights, but now they could be seen by all that go by I-35 E as well as I-35 W. People driving by would know that the Mean Green has done it again. Imagine several thousand outside the new stadium singing "Glory to the Green" right before we alert Denton we are victorious.

That and a couple of indoor giftshops much like at "The Ballpark in Arlington"

1. Restrooms were I don't have to pee on the wall.

2. A large tailgate area outside of the stadium, not necessarily the parking lot.

3. More room to walk underneath the stadium similar to the Ballpark in Arlington.

4. Jumbotron

5. No seats so that eveyone will have to stand like we did at the NMSU game.

• Haha 1

Nobody ever goes to the lighting of the tower anymore.  It just isn't said enough during the game and/or people are just too lazy to make the trip to the administration building.  When it is lit (usually any Saturday night in the fall semester  laugh.gif ), you pretty much have to been on campus to see it.  So I propose "moving" the tradition when the stadium goes across I35.  I can't imagine many making the trek to the administration building with the increased distance and I see a lot more participation if there was something just outside the stadium.  We could still have green lights, but now they could be seen by all that go by I-35 E as well as I-35 W.  People driving by would know that the Mean Green has done it again.  Imagine several thousand outside the new stadium singing "Glory to the Green" right before we alert Denton we are victorious.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Let's keep the Tower Lights!

CMJ, you can keep the tower, but I bet the only people there will be the Talons. That really is a long trek, and considering how long it took the Talons to get off their butts and get to the tower at the NMSU game (i paraded around the track twice, carried a goalpost upright and still beat them by 10 mins and they were in the bell carrier!) I think moving it might be a good idea.

But how about this. Just put giant green flood lights (I mean giant!!!! light the kind to light huge buildings) in 12 places around the outside of the stadium! Lite the whole big bastard up for the world to see!!

Light the tower too, but there should be something across the interstate for all to enjoy.

Seeya,

Shane

CMJ, you can keep the tower, but I bet the only people there will be the Talons. That really is a long trek, and considering how long it took the Talons to get off their butts and get to the tower at the NMSU game (i paraded around the track twice, carried a goalpost upright and still beat them by 10 mins and they were in the bell carrier!) I think moving it might be a good idea.

But how about this. Just put giant green flood lights (I mean giant!!!! light the kind to light huge buildings) in 12 places around the outside of the stadium! Lite the whole big bastard up for the world to see!!

Light the tower too, but there should be something across the interstate for all to enjoy.

Seeya,

Shane

Now Shane, remember, the residents are concerned about light polution... wink.gif

OR point those giant green flood light suckas' eye level right in the direction of the, hell, point them in the direction of the>>>>>THE GREENBELT! cool.gif

Whoops! That one slipped!

Who made me say that? Could it be...S-A-T-A-N ?!?! biggrin.gif

CMJ, you can keep the tower, but I bet the only people there will be the Talons. That really is a long trek, and considering how long it took the Talons to get off their butts and get to the tower at the NMSU game (i paraded around the track twice, carried a goalpost upright and still beat them by 10 mins and they were in the bell carrier!)

I was carrying goalposts too. I have no idea how people carrying a goalpost around a stadium and across campus could have beaten Talons. My parents even beat them by a good five minutes and while waiting came up and asked what we were waiting on.

I think they found it important to all ride together on the tug for some reason. It probably counted as a unity event credit. <_<

I think they found it important to all ride together on the tug for some reason.  It probably counted as a unity event credit.  dry.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

I'm gonna sound old, but I remember the days when we trudged that mile or so from Fouts to the Tower in rain, sleet, or snow...with pride.

We sang too...now they just wanna ride. What has Talons come to?? wink.gif

I like Shane's idea of Green lights all around the stadium. Light pollution? I can't imagine it would radiate off of the stadium. I really think its a good idea.

Something else I have thought about:

We have all seen the fake flames at one time or another made of red, orange and yellow cloth being blown upwards with a fan amid fire colored lights. I wonder what type of effect that would do on a very large scalewith green cloth and lights. It would have to be indoors behind glass, but I would bet it would make you notice the home of the Mean Green. It could always be lit, not just for victories. The eternal Mean Green flame.

I like Shane's idea of Green lights all around the stadium.  Light pollution?  I can't imagine it would radiate off of the stadium.  I really think its a good idea.

I like this idea, but I would like to see the new stadium lit up at night in some way ALL the time. Fouts looks so much better since they put the back-lit advertising signs and players photos on it for all to see at night. A Giant GREEN Stadium at night would be very impressive, although half of it will be under ground level. ph34r.gif

We have all seen the fake flames at one time or another made of red, orange and yellow cloth being blown upwards with a fan amid fire colored lights. I wonder what type of effect that would do on a very large scalewith green cloth and lights. It would have to be indoors behind glass, but I would bet it would make you notice the home of the Mean Green. It could always be lit, not just for victories. The eternal Mean Green flame.

Yessssss I love that idea.

JayDub, when UNT first opened the SuperPit in 1972, as I recall, the outside lighting that illuminated this grand facility was such that it looked very impressive from the interstates. Then during the Carter presidency (as recall) there was an energy crunch and universities across the land started conserving and cutting back on lighting was one of the first things on the list to conserve energy. It seems it was during this era that the exterior lighting of the SuperPit seemed to diminish.

Now, I don't even know if the lighting we had in place back then is even functional now, but we do need it to be functional for security puposes. Those very tall mercury light poles across campus are unsightly and I hope will one day be removed.

Anyone else remember how well the SuperPit was lighted when it first opened?