Ya Buying It?

I feel much better about the defense as a unit this year.

DT- Atkinson and Jackson will help out alot! 2 big bodies to add along with Ross, Desoto, and Franklin. Hopefully the Juco's can get into the groove of things quickly. For some reason I think that Kyle White out of New Orleans might get some PT as a true freshman, no reasoning to back it up though. Just a thought.

DE-Glad to have Gilmore back at D-end. Weber will be a big body to help out opposite of Eddrick. 3 prospects that I'm interested in are AK-47, Cantly, and Tyler Washington. Washington and Akpunu are way on the light side but can bring much needed speed off the edge. Canlty is a big body for D-end, but everything you hear is that he could be a star in the making. It seems that this will give Deloach some options at D-end depending on down and distance.

LB- We know what we have in Toby and Craig. The 3rd LB spot is up in the air it seems. Kylie Hill converted from safety is undersized but a good tackler. Penson has the physical tools just needs to put it all together. Daniel Prior as a true freshman has a shot. And lets not forget about Jeremy Phillips. I think you'll see Hill, Penson and Philips all getting alot of PT.

DB- Wow we have a bunch of young guys. I think that this will turn out to be a pretty good backfield. It will really help out if the DL can get some pressure on the QB. One thing that needs to change this season is giving up the big play. Hopefully these kids have enough experience now

One key that I noticed throughout last year was giving up 3rd down conversions. If you get a team into a 3rd and 6 you need to stop them! It seemd as though all last year we would get a team into a 3rd and long and then allow them to pick up the 1st. This is demoralizing!

Thoughts on the D as a unit???

This isn't just something that will help, it is the whole enchilada. No pressure on the qb, no wins.

I've been thinking that for a while. How many sacks have we had in the last 2 years that weren't by Eddrick Gilmore? And, for whatever reasons, he missed a lot of practice and playing time both years. Let's hope whatever problems he's had won't keep him off the field, and that the others coming into the DL rotation are the real deal. I know people who aren't followers of UNT football who are high on Cantly; I think they're right, and sure hope they are!

I feel much better about the defense as a unit this year.

DT- Atkinson and Jackson will help out alot! 2 big bodies to add along with Ross, Desoto, and Franklin. Hopefully the Juco's can get into the groove of things quickly. For some reason I think that Kyle White out of New Orleans might get some PT as a true freshman, no reasoning to back it up though. Just a thought.

DE-Glad to have Gilmore back at D-end. Weber will be a big body to help out opposite of Eddrick. 3 prospects that I'm interested in are AK-47, Cantly, and Tyler Washington. Washington and Akpunu are way on the light side but can bring much needed speed off the edge. Canlty is a big body for D-end, but everything you hear is that he could be a star in the making. It seems that this will give Deloach some options at D-end depending on down and distance.

LB- We know what we have in Toby and Craig. The 3rd LB spot is up in the air it seems. Kylie Hill converted from safety is undersized but a good tackler. Penson has the physical tools just needs to put it all together. Daniel Prior as a true freshman has a shot. And lets not forget about Jeremy Phillips. I think you'll see Hill, Penson and Philips all getting alot of PT.

DB- Wow we have a bunch of young guys. I think that this will turn out to be a pretty good backfield. It will really help out if the DL can get some pressure on the QB. One thing that needs to change this season is giving up the big play. Hopefully these kids have enough experience now

One key that I noticed throughout last year was giving up 3rd down conversions. If you get a team into a 3rd and 6 you need to stop them! It seemd as though all last year we would get a team into a 3rd and long and then allow them to pick up the 1st. This is demoralizing!

Thoughts on the D as a unit???

LB: Don't forget Steve Warren.

1. UNT's defensive front will be better.

It is hard to imagine that it will be worse. However, NT did lose it's most consistent player in Thomas and the fruit basket turnover at the defensive end position in the spring seems to indicate that the large number of returning de's are not deemed adequate. I would have thought that with Gilmore at one end and Skyes, Brown, Owusu-Hemeng, Cole available at the other end that this position would improve. The Spring starters at de were Cantly and Akpunka who neither looked as good as walk on Nailor in the Spring game. The defensive tackle positions looks even more unsettled with Ross looking like the most likely starter. The staff does not seem that impressed with the rest of the dts available in the spring and it is likely that Atkinson will take the other position or Cantly will be moved back inside.

I will buy that the defensive front will be better but I am not sure it is going to improve enough to be even Belt level average. If Gilmore stays at end, I think that position will be significantly better than last year, but I am not convinced that NT has the answers at the tackles position.

2. UNT's defensive secondary will be better because it is more experienced.

I think the secondary will be much improved not primarily because of experience but because I think the talent level is been substantially upgraded.

Yes, a years experience will benefit Royce Hill, Adams, Shorter, Williams and others. The addition of transfers Smith and Chatman will also help. It is not lost on me that Bush a three year starter at corner back is having to fight for a spot in the rotation against Adams, Smith and Hill. The safety position with Shorter, Williams and Cook also seems to be much stronger.

IMO, the defensive secondary could turn into the strength of the team. The problem is can be defensive line give them some help with a decent pass rush.

3. UNT's linebackers will be a strength of the team.

Two of NT's best players are Nwigwe and Robertson and both have experience and talent. The third line backer is the question. Will Kyle Hill remain in that position or will Phillips, Prior or perhaps even Penson, last years starter, end up in that position. Whatever happens with the second outside linebacker position, NT should be almong the leagues best at the linebacker position.

4. This year could be the turning point - finally - for UNT's defense.

Despite last years lesson, I don't think NT's defense can get worse. In fact I think with the talent level improved, experience at most positions, and an a coaching overhaul that the defensive unit will be significantly improved. No, it will be far from dominating but with just a little help in the defensive line; I think it could at least be competitive in the Belt. In fact, I can see the defense being better than the offense this year.

Edited by GrandGreen

1. UNT's defensive front will be better.

It is hard to imagine that it will be worse. However, NT did lose it's most consistent player in Thomas and the fruit basket turnover at the defensive end position in the spring seems to indicate that the large number of returning de's are not deemed adequate. I would have thought that with Gilmore at one end and Skyes, Brown, Owusu-Hemeng, Cole available at the other end that this position would improve. The Spring starters at de were Cantly and Akpunka who neither looked as good as walk on Nailor in the Spring game. The defensive tackle positions looks even more unsettled with Ross looking like the most likely starter. The staff does not seem that impressed with the rest of the dts available in the spring and it is likely that Atkinson will take the other position or Cantly will be moved back inside.

I will buy that the defensive front will be better but I am not sure it is going to improve enough to be even Belt level average. If Gilmore stays at end, I think that position will be significantly better than last year, but I am not convinced that NT has the answers at the tackles position.

2. UNT's defensive secondary will be better because it is more experienced.

I think the secondary will be much improved not primarily because of experience but because I think the talent level is been substantially upgraded.

Yes, a years experience will benefit Royce Hill, Adams, Shorter, Williams and others. The addition of transfers Smith and Chatman will also help. It is not lost on me that Bush a three year starter at corner back is having to fight for a spot in the rotation against Adams, Smith and Hill. The safety position with Shorter, Williams and Cook also seems to be much stronger.

IMO, the defensive secondary could turn into the strength of the team. The problem is can be defensive line give them some help with a decent pass rush.

3. UNT's linebackers will be a strength of the team.

Two of NT's best players are Nwigwe and Robertson and both have experience and talent. The third line backer is the question. Will Kyle Hill remain in that position or will Phillips, Prior or perhaps even Penson, last years starter, end up in that position. Whatever happens with the second outside linebacker position, NT should be almong the leagues best at the linebacker position.

4. This year could be the turning point - finally - for UNT's defense.

Despite last years lesson, I don't think NT's defense can get worse. In fact I think with the talent level improved, experience at most positions, and an a coaching overhaul that the defensive unit will be significantly improved. No, it will be far from dominating but with just a little help in the defensive line; I think it could at least be competitive in the Belt. In fact, I can see the defense being better than the offense this year.

Defense, barring injuries, will win us some games. And definitely keep games more respectable. Lets start with Ball State, be competitive and it will give us some much needed confidence.

Defense, barring injuries, will win us some games. And definitely keep games more respectable. Lets start with Ball State, be competitive and it will give us some much needed confidence.

It's hard to imagine a defense last in the country upgraded enough in one off season to now "win us some games". They will be better but better is holding opponents to 40. It will be very difficult to have these remade units bond together by that first game on the road in a tough environment. Better to hope they play well against Ohio at home as Ball State could be another ugly opening OOC game in a long line.