Another thoughtful article.

http://www.star-telegram.com/ed_wallace/story/1270541.html

One of my favorite parts.

Consider the Source First!

Over the past eight years we knew the economy was weak because of the automobile market. After all, just as Wall Street endlessly pans the "old media" as no longer a viable and important part of our society, it also considers automobile production "old line manufacturing" and another drain on our vibrant financial society. But think for a moment: Who exactly is claiming that publishing and manufacturing are "old line" industries not worthy of our investment? That’s right — the same folks who gave us the world’s financial meltdown.

Crap! Could someone edit the title and add an "o".

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Downvote 1

---The US Government got out of regulating much of Wall Street also the banking industry when they removed lending controls just that came into existence after the 1929 depression. The idea sounds great... but the greedy ones tend to screw things up. How did all of that turn out when we did.

--- Sort of like just assuming kids in a elementary school class will behave and learn without supervision. Good theory, sounds great, ... doesn't work.

----Jobs -- they went overseas because of very, very cheap labor there... I suppose the government could reduce our min. wage back to $1.00 again as it was when I was in HS or even remove a min wage and they would come back... at least some of them. Our companies would get rich again and the "peasants" would become like the foreign ones.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I was telling my dad not too long ago, while he complained about the government not looking out for the little guy and whatnot, that it has always worked this way.

From Pharoahs to kings to emperors to noblemen to clergy to landownders to plantation owners to AIG execs. There have been a lot of powerful people screwing over the little guy. I told him that he should consider that of all the versions of little guys throughout history, we are the most comfortable.

I'd much rather have to pull a few more shifts at my crappy job than build a freakin pyramid for some dude.

But yes, manufacturing FTW

But still.......that would be the Big, evil Corporate empire types, "Gasp!"....making money and all?

Rick

I wonder when anyone (liberal or otherwise) voiced a problem with people making money, so long as it didn't compromise our safety and economic stability.

However, one Republican President DID warn us about the potential of the development of evil corporations.

(Part of Eisenhower's farwell speech to the American Public 1961)

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together. "

THIS IS A REPUBLICAN WARNING US!

Do you have a problem with me, or anyone else, being part of "an alert and knowledgeable citizenry", or would you prefer us all to be mindless toadies of the unscrupulous businessmen.......such as the ones who are currently in the news.

• Downvote 1