No News....and I'm Angry!

DeepGreen

Heres the thing doesn't everyone know we throw the ball? Could Dodge be hiding practice to prevent the over justified fan running on the field and yelling at his son, or favorite player? Dodge just needs to hit the players on the helmet, with his whistle while yelling "stick to the basics" "Stick to the basics!"

Practice is not hidden, it is in plain view; the fence just keeps people off the practice field for their own protection and the footballs in it. I have no problem with a fence. I do have a problem with no report from the department sponsoring this main revenue and attended sport. If you want to keep or attract new customers you have to give them some idea of the product you're trying to sell. Of course with the way the product has been the last couple years maybe no news is the good news? :huh:

Edited by NT80

But, if practice was open and the SID's office made lots of announcements, what would so many folks have to complain about? See, UNT's Athletic dept. is providing good "complaining fodder" for those on this board that like to find the problems and negatives with everything that goes on with UNT athletics. See, they are doing you guys a favor. What would you do otherwise?

Practice is not hidden, it is in plain view; the fence just keeps people off the practice field for their own protection and the footballs in it. I have no problem with a fence. I do have a problem with no report from the department sponsoring this main revenue and attended sport. If you want to keep or attract new customers you have to give them some idea of the product you're trying to sell. Of course with the way the product has been the last couple years maybe no news is the good news? :huh:

Good post

Correction: ULM starts spring practice today, and their website has a story and audio links from the head coach and players: http://www.ulmathletics.com/SportSelect.db...amp;SPSID=90583

Therefore, we are alone in our lack of information provided by the athletic department regarding spring practices.

Thanks for the link TFLF. Now I know more about ULM's spring practice than I do my own freakin' school!

Ditto. Good info, saysojoe. Does anyone know if Chase Baine has been put on scholarship yet?

If he is not.... he should be with the "Scholys" left on the table from "THE ONES" who have left the program for the Big 12 or to work on their careers or have some legal problems or who have flunked out. Sorry to rant but I always pull for the "Walk On". There are a few on this team that deserve some LOVE from Coach DODGE.

Later

If he is not.... he should be with the "Scholys" left on the table from "THE ONES" who have left the program for the Big 12 or to work on their careers or have some legal problems or who have flunked out. Sorry to rant but I always pull for the "Walk On". There are a few on this team that deserve some LOVE from Coach DODGE.

Later

If it were me, I'd just settle for some encouragement.

Later

Baine is a nice athlete but quite honestly has not yet earned a scholly yet. This season should be the one that gets him a deal if he proves that he is a legitimate 3rd string QB but also makes stride as a WR and kick or punter returner. TD won't waste a scholly on a walk on until they have done something. NOTHING wrong with that philosophy.

Baine is a nice athlete but quite honestly has not yet earned a scholly yet. This season should be the one that gets him a deal if he proves that he is a legitimate 3rd string QB but also makes stride as a WR and kick or punter returner. TD won't waste a scholly on a walk on until they have done something. NOTHING wrong with that philosophy.

I disagree with that philosophy

Your use of the word "waste" is wrong to use... these type of players have to prove them selfs from day one and make it through a pretty tough "BOOT CAMP" just to beconsidered to be on the team. I see more than a few schollys on this team that would not make it though what a walkon has to do just to get that chance. Yes a walk on has to do something to get a chance at a scholly do not disagree there....but Coaches hardly give them a chance to show what they can do it looks bad if they are better than a Recruited player and I feel they are held back. "Fitz" got his chance finally and look what happened.

Regarding Baine I see more than "nice" athlete. He showed many of us on this board he could play WR last spring with two TD catches one that had Coach Dodge chasing him down with a pat on the butt.

Coach has to see something more than "Nice" to move him to QB this spring and run Dodge Ball.

I do not believe it would be a "WASTE" to hook him up.

I disagree with that philosophy

Your use of the word "waste" is wrong to use... these type of players have to prove them selfs from day one and make it through a pretty tough "BOOT CAMP" just to beconsidered to be on the team. I see more than a few schollys on this team that would not make it though what a walkon has to do just to get that chance. Yes a walk on has to do something to get a chance at a scholly do not disagree there....but Coaches hardly give them a chance to show what they can do it looks bad if they are better than a Recruited player and I feel they are held back. "Fitz" got his chance finally and look what happened.

Regarding Baine I see more than "nice" athlete. He showed many of us on this board he could play WR last spring with two TD catches one that had Coach Dodge chasing him down with a pat on the butt.

Coach has to see something more than "Nice" to move him to QB this spring and run Dodge Ball.

I do not believe it would be a "WASTE" to hook him up.

I totally agree with this. Especially the part that I highlighted. I have seen many players that came here on a "ship" and wondered "what was the coaching staff thinking?". And I've seen many walk-ons come and go. And when some very promising walk-on leaves, I think the same thing.

There are reasons that most walk-ons don't get ships. Just because they play or are better than scholarship athletes does not in most cases earn them ships. Getting a lot of playing time or starting will usually get them scholarships. Unfortunately for them, they are competing with the recruits for those ships. Recruits are signed because it is thought that they will be difference makers for the team. Obviously, many recruits don't perform up to the expectations; but in most cases those ships are honored and renewed until their eligibliltiy is up. Before you look at a fourth string QB, there are many others that probably deserve it more. Dickerson comes to mind, a senior non-schlorship player who actually started the last few games. Lott is also a receiver that saw a lot of action. Many times walk-ons are given ships at the end of their career were the cost is much less (ie, Isiah Smith). It is rare that walk-ons are given ships early in their career.

There are reasons that most walk-ons don't get ships. Just because they play or are better than scholarship athletes does not in most cases earn them ships. Getting a lot of playing time or starting will usually get them scholarships. Unfortunately for them, they are competing with the recruits for those ships. Recruits are signed because it is thought that they will be difference makers for the team. Obviously, many recruits don't perform up to the expectations; but in most cases those ships are honored and renewed until their eligibliltiy is up. Before you look at a fourth string QB, there are many others that probably deserve it more. Dickerson comes to mind, a senior non-schlorship player who actually started the last few games. Lott is also a receiver that saw a lot of action. Many times walk-ons are given ships at the end of their career were the cost is much less (ie, Isiah Smith). It is rare that walk-ons are given ships early in their career.

Nathen Tune is the only one that I can remember that got one early in his career.

Besides Casey Fitzgerald, the best walk-on story that I can remember at North Texas was Jordan Case.

Nathen Tune is the only one that I can remember that got one early in his career.

Besides Casey Fitzgerald, the best walk-on story that I can remember at North Texas was Jordan Case.

What about Chris Hurd? Walk on to SBC defensive player of the year.

Before Hurd another young linebacker walked on and made quite a name for himself (he still is). Young man by the name of Jeff Rodgers.

I think Adler is right, that he would have made a great coaching hire for UNT, but my guess is that he's probably got a pretty sweet situation at K State right now. I will say that I was galled by what one of the board members posted at that suggestion, at a time when Rodgers was "Assistant Special Teams Coach" for the 49ers, asking what Denton had to offer to compare to San Francisco. I guess it's fortunate for KSU that they didn't feel so inferior about what Manhattan (Kansas) had to offer.

Edited by eulessismore

---I would consider Beasley Reece the best walk-on ever. He walked on for Hayden Fry, was drafted into the NFL during the ninth round (9th doesn't exist now) then he played for nine years in the NFL for the Cowboys, Giants, and Tampa Bay. He started for several years in NY as a safety beside Harry Carson, NFL hall of famer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beasley_Reece

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66