Wku #12 Seed

UNTflyer

Arizona had some great wins, but they were all at home, and they weren't playing well down the stetch. I can't believe they got in over St Mary's or Creighton. Ridiculous.

2-9 on the road . Only wins on the road were against Oregon (8-23) & Oregon State ( 13-17)

Only 4 non-power conference teams grab at large bids. In 2004, there were 12.

I am a little shocked that there was not more than that who got in. I actually am a little disapointed in WKU's seed. I felt they would get an 11 or even possibly a 10. But what do I know - I don't follow college basketball that much, so that might just be a stretch.

Let me ask you this - My understanding is that the NCAA "bought" the NIT post season tournament - is that correct? Someone told me that they were now running the post season NIT tourney.

More or less. The NIT was suing the NCAA in an antitrust case, and the NCAA bought them off for like 50 million bucks or something and rights to the NIT for the next 8-10 years. After that, I'm not sure what'll happen.

Edited by CMJ

Let me ask you this - My understanding is that the NCAA "bought" the NIT post season tournament - is that correct? Someone told me that they were now running the post season NIT tourney.

NCAA bought the tournament in 2005 because of a lawsuit filed by the then owners ( MIBA) against the NCAA stating that the NCAA was trying to purposly bankrupt the NIT when it expanded the tournament to 65 teams. I may be wrong about something , but it was something along those lines.

* CMJ , we answered 2 different questions at the exact same time rpi @ 808 & this 1 @ 825 ;)

Edited by NT03

More or less. The NIT was suing the NCAA in an antitrust case, and the NCAA bought them off for like 50 million bucks or something and rights to the NIT for the next 8-10 years. After that, I'm not sure what'll happen.

So then it is conceivably (sp) possible that the NCAA tournament left out some for teams like Arizona to boost their TV watching?

I am a little shocked that there was not more than that who got in. I actually am a little disapointed in WKU's seed. I felt they would get an 11 or even possibly a 10. But what do I know - I don't follow college basketball that much, so that might just be a stretch.

All of the conference tournament upsets hurt teams hoping for an at-large bid.

All of the conference tournament upsets hurt teams hoping for an at-large bid.

We will have to start playing more tougher teams before conference play if we want to have any hope of getting post season play in the future when we don't make the NCAA tourney. Two 20 win seasons after going to the NCAA tourney and still no NIT bid.

We will have to start playing more tougher teams before conference play if we want to have any hope of getting post season play in the future when we don't make the NCAA tourney. Two 20 win seasons after going to the NCAA tourney and still no NIT bid.
Can't always control how teams end up being tho. I know when we signed the contract with Indiana State acouple of years ago we figured they'd be way better than they have been the last 2 seasons.

Can't always control how teams end up being tho. I know when we signed the contract with Indiana State acouple of years ago we figured they'd be way better than they have been the last 2 seasons.

That is true, but we need to schedule bigger than Indiana State for the most part. I mean they shouldn't be the headlines, they should just be a part of it.

Arizona has the lowest RPI of any non-auto bid NCAA team (64, off the top of my head?).

To put the selection BS in perspective, nearly half of the NIT selections have higher RPI's than Arizona. A step further - 11 NIT team selections are higher than the next non-auto up the line: Boston College.

I am of the belief that their "claim" is correct: top 65 teams should be in regardless of conference. However, something is not right when the above scenario plays out.

I would be interested in comparing this year's selections to the last time the NCAA selected 10+ non-Power 6 at-large bids. I think it was about 4 years ago? Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised to find some glaring double-standards between the two years.