Any Chance This "quitter" Looks At Us?

Yes, he's asked Nebraska for his release and Pelini is giving to him. Strange because the Nebraska QB job is up for grabs and, I think, he's the only one with any kind of playing time among those returning.

What Nebraska's fans' say about his dad is not very interesting to me. That he is 6-4, 225 and can sling it around...that's interesting to me. Especially considering what we currently have on the roster at QB. Have we ever had a QB with legitimate "pro" size? Plus, he's been in that spread offense Nebraska has been running with Shawn Watson. So, it's not like he'd be learning a totally different type of game plan.

We've already picked up guys from OU and Minnesota. Although this guy would be a longshot, I'd welcome aboard a guy from Nebraska as well. And, if he didn't work out...what's the harm? Alot of guys don't work out. But, not many have his supposed upside.

Patrick is a good football player and NT could certainly use him. However the chances of him coming to NT are almost 0. Rumors have him now looking at Ivy league schools. It obviously won't be to a Big 12 school.

He also comes with some baggage. Patrick wanted the husker coaches to basically guarantee him the #1 QB job for the spring and into the fall. They said no. Nebraska has Zach Lee who is more mobile and has a great arm. They also have freshman stud Cody Green already on campus. In 7 on 7 drills a few weeks ago-Patrick was caught teaching Cody the wrong signals on purpose. That was the end of his time at Nebraska.

Yes, he's asked Nebraska for his release and Pelini is giving to him. Strange because the Nebraska QB job is up for grabs and, I think, he's the only one with any kind of playing time among those returning.

What Nebraska's fans' say about his dad is not very interesting to me. That he is 6-4, 225 and can sling it around...that's interesting to me. Especially considering what we currently have on the roster at QB. Have we ever had a QB with legitimate "pro" size? Plus, he's been in that spread offense Nebraska has been running with Shawn Watson. So, it's not like he'd be learning a totally different type of game plan.

We've already picked up guys from OU and Minnesota. Although this guy would be a longshot, I'd welcome aboard a guy from Nebraska as well. And, if he didn't work out...what's the harm? Alot of guys don't work out. But, not many have his supposed upside.

Plus, he carries a 4.0 GPA. So if he comes and it doesn't work out, no APR (or whatever the he__ that thing is called) hit to worry about.

And... He's got an arrest record!

It's like replacing Vizza AND Evan Walker at the same time! What a coup if we can get him here! The quitter-to-quitter connection between him and Stradford could really spark our offense!

I don't even know what I'm trying to be sarcastic about anymore... :(

If he's clean and sober now, and willing to come here as a walk on, maybe we could use him to send in the "wrong signals" to opposing defenses.

I read about this kid earlier this week. I don't remember Wylie doing much when he was here in HS, but they made it to the state championship this year with his successor, Jerod Monk (who signed with Baylor this year). Still, I don't doubt he has good athletic ability and I understand he had a legitimate chance to compete for Nebraska's starting QB position this year. I didn't feel he was worth mentioning here because we have little to no chance of gaining his father's interest and the kid and his helicopter parents just come with too much baggage. Seems to me like we have enough drama going on as it is.

Serious face this time- I really don't think there's any chance of him coming here. If he didn't want to fight for a starting job at a Big 12 school when he was the odds-on favorite to get it... Why would he come here where he'd be all but certain of being a backup? I don't think he'd relish the thought of "competing" with another QB who has more eligibility left AND the genetic material of the head coach.

And at the risk of people campaigning to have me fired from my job, we did finish 1-11 in the Sun Belt last year, so it's not like we're the most plum destination in the NCAA universe right now. If I didn't already have my North Texas connection established, as a 19 year old kid I'd probably lean more towards a free ride at Dartmouth or Penn rather than coming here and hoping Riley struggles or gets hurt.

Honestly, the only way I see this guy even considering coming here is if he thinks Dodge will get fired after this season and Riley will transfer, leaving the door wide open for him to waltz in to a starting job after his transfer year is complete. But nobody here is going to try to sell him on the "Hey, we might fail again and all get fired, so come on down!" angle. At least, I hope they don't.

So even though I agree that fan perception of his parents is irrelevant and he obviously has talent and a great prototypical build... I just don't think there's any way he ever comes here.

We have several good QB's right now. UNT does not need this kid. The QB position looks like it is in pretty good shape to me. Why would one even consider taking on this kid and all the baggage that comes with him? AS far as I am concerned, UNT is "good to go" at the QB spot.

Sarcasm or not, UNT is just fine with the QB's it has for several years. There are higher priorities than the QB spot...such as OL and DL. OL and DL are looking better and should be much improved this year, but I still think UNT is a bit "thin" at those positions and could use some help...The game tend to be won or lost in the trenches, and it will be nice to see a much improved "trench warfare" this year from both sides of the ball. I am looking forward to watching how this goes in 2009 for the Mean Green. I think it will go much more the Mean Green's way this year!!!

Go get 'em...GO MEAN GREEN!

Sarcasm or not, UNT is just fine with the QB's it has for several years. There are higher priorities than the QB spot...such as OL and DL. OL and DL are looking better and should be much improved this year, but I still think UNT is a bit "thin" at those positions and could use some help...The game tend to be won or lost in the trenches, and it will be nice to see a much improved "trench warfare" this year from both sides of the ball. I am looking forward to watching how this goes in 2009 for the Mean Green. I think it will go much more the Mean Green's way this year!!!

Go get 'em...GO MEAN GREEN!

I totally agree and thats a good post.

I totally agree and thats a good post.

One other point is that these transfer quarterbacks, especially a senior, is set in his ways so to speak. They spend time thinking and saying something along the lines "well at Nebraska we did it this way..." It is more important that the players come up through the system all 4 years. The quarterback from TX (played at Stephenville) that ended up at Ole Miss is the exception. But at Nebraska, Callahan put his last year on the shoulders of a transfer from Arizona State, and it is one of the main reasons Bo Pelini is now the head coach. Not everybody was on the same page. We have a good one coming from Glenn Rose, and decent ones in Baine, Dodge, and Tune. How open the job really is leaves reason for debate in another thread.