I Owe Todge An Apology

emmitt01

I have been one of the biggest critics of Todd Dodge and I think with good reason. With that said, if this recruiting class holds up until signing day, I owe him kudos. Looking at this last season's team my three biggest gripes were (in ascending order of how furious they made me):

1)An inability to cover anyone

2)Having only one option in the passing game

3)Having no pressure from the front four

Well, he addressed #1 by bringing in a JUCO DB in Ira Smith and High School guys to develop in Chevy Bennett, Hilbert Jackson and De'Andre Stewart if we play him in the defensive backfield. Added to the guys who were "thrown to the wolves" last season there should be a serviceable 4 out of the group we have.

He addressed #2 bringing in Jamal Jackson and Mike Outlaw from JUCO and Daniel Mayberry from the high school ranks. If we can productivity out of the JUCO's and get even 4-5 of the young guys on our roster to produce then we should be alright.

Finally, and most impressively, he got commitments from Shavod Adkinson from JUCO and Kyle White (who already has D1 size) from high school at the DT position. Add that to the commitments of high schoolers Ryan Boutwell and Chris Knighton at DE along with Weber from JUCO and I think Todge put us in a pretty good position to find a compliment to Gilmore.

If he finds a way to get Kelvin Jackson I'll declare him to have a clean slate in my book...pending the team's performance this season. :lol:

Edited by emmitt01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been one of the biggest critics of Todd Dodge and I think with good reason. With that said, if this recruiting class holds up until signing day, I owe him kudos. Looking at this last season's team my three biggest gripes were (in ascending order of how furious they made me):

1)An inability to cover anyone

2)Having only one option in the passing game

3)Having no pressure from the front four

Well, he addressed #1 by bringing in a JUCO DB in Ira Smith and High School guys to develop in Chevy Bennett, Hilbert Jackson and De'Andre Stewart if we play him in the defensive backfield. Added to the guys who were "thrown to the wolves" last season there should be a serviceable 4 out of the group we have.

He addressed #2 bringing in Jamal Jackson and Mike Outlaw from JUCO and Daniel Mayberry from the high school ranks. If we can productivity out of the JUCO's and get even 4-5 of the young guys on our roster to produce then we should be alright.

Finally, and most impressively, he got commitments from Shavod Adkinson from JUCO and Kyle White (who already has D1 size) from high school at the DT position. Add that to the commitments of high schoolers Ryan Boutwell and Chris Knighton at DE along with Weber from JUCO and I think Todge put us in a pretty good position to find a compliment to Gilmore.

If he finds a way to get Kelvin Jackson I'll declare him to have a clean slate in my book...pending the team's performance this season. :lol:

I'm very, very relieved about two things I that worried me during this offseason:

1) Several players who I had all but written off as gone have apparently been convinced to stick around. I haven't totally exhaled in relief; we lost Peachey and Banks later than this in the offseason. And even if nobody else goes, the losses of Vizza and Scoggins still equate to a tremendous kick in the crotch on their own. Still, the exodus wasn't as bad as anticipated, so hooray for that.

2) We managed to address D-Line issues to the greatest extent possible. Until a week ago, it looked like we were going to enter the 2009 season even more unsettled than we were at the start of 2008. As long as Atkinson doesn't back out on us on signing day, I feel a lot better about the state of the D-Line now.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

This class is crazy if you think about it...after all we have gone through, the quality of the players we are signing is a masterful magic act pulled off by the Dodge and Co. I am very impressed, and now we can at least have hope for '09 now.

Then you also have to look at what impact this grade situation may have on our success in 2009...if this high water GPA mark turns into not losing anyone to grades, that would be HUGE for this team

the losses of Vizza and Scoggins

As far as the loss of Scoggins...not a big loss at all in my book

Edited by BIG DAWG

This class is crazy if you think about it...after all we have gone through, the quality of the players we are signing is a masterful magic act pulled off by the Dodge and Co. I am very impressed, and now we can at least have hope for '09 now.

Then you also have to look at what impact this grade situation may have on our success in 2009...if this high water GPA mark turns into not losing anyone to grades, that would be HUGE for this team

As far as the loss of Scoggins...not a big loss at all in my book

I'm right there with you Big Dawg. It's unbelievable, and it gets me optimistic that '09 will be a fun season, and there will be good progress on the field.

As far as emmit's list, all of those are so true. I however, would put the pass rush ahead of the inability to cover (but they go hand in hand). I don't care if you have 4 All-Americans in the back end, if you can't rush the QB and force him to throw the ball early and out of rhythm, you might as well forget it...no one can consistently cover for more than 4-5 seconds.

This is looking like a great class, but can we tap the breaks just a little? Last year's class was one og the best in the history of the school, but it didn't translate into immediate victories on the field, so why would this class? Just trying to add a dose of reality to the euphoria.

This is looking like a great class, but can we tap the breaks just a little? Last year's class was one og the best in the history of the school, but it didn't translate into immediate victories on the field, so why would this class? Just trying to add a dose of reality to the euphoria.

Why should we be excited? Last year's class was heavy on HS players with the exception of a few JUCOs. HS players should not be counted on as true freshmen, they should be redshirted.

This class is a nice mix that has JUCOs at key positions that should contribute now. The HS recruits from last year should step up this year and start to contribute, and this year's crop should either RS or be put on the field in small doses.

Agreed, but even as we were signing last year's class, some noted that critical needs on the line were not being met. When Horton didn't come through, the last class ended up really thin on the line.

Not saying we'll win 7 games next year, but with one year under the belt of the 2008 class, and hopefully one or two of these JUCO guys being able to step up and contribute right away, we could have significant progress.

Why should we be excited? Last year's class was heavy on HS players with the exception of a few JUCOs. HS players should not be counted on as true freshmen, they should be redshirted.

This class is a nice mix that has JUCOs at key positions that should contribute now. The HS recruits from last year should step up this year and start to contribute, and this year's crop should either RS or be put on the field in small doses.

Hope your right, but JUCOs come with their own set of challenges. First and foremost is becoming eligible to play at the D1 level. Let's not forget the Horton surprise of last year or the weight issue of big Mr. Jenkins. I know everyone gets excited this time of year, but you can't really judge a recruiting class until it is several years in. Look at Dodge's first class. I think the best judge of expectations for next year is looking at the returning players already on the roster.

The class, with very few exceptions, is filled with guys who had no other offers or offers only from lower divisions. That is concerning to all but the kool-aid drinkers, who at this point revel in any commitment whatsoever. It's easy to get commitments from guys with no other choices.

To see how badly we're being outrecruited, all you have to do is check the recruiting of any other FBS school in the state. Todd Dodge and his staff were whipped very early in the process and have been scraping along with JUCOs and guys with no offers or offers from even smaller divisions. It's a problem - not for Dodge, but for his ultimate replacement.

Sadly, Todd Dodge overestimated his ability to consistently reel in quality local and state recruits. He's had to shift the battle ground outside the state and has done so very late in the game. This is plain to anyone who can look up and down a list of top recruits and see where they went. It will never be plain to those who have tossed aside UNT in favor of defending Dodge.

The main cog, one of maybe two or three bona fide recruits from the first two classes, is gone - Giovanni Vizza. The top two receivers, neither of whom were brought on board by Dodge, are gone. Unless Nathan Tune really gets an opportunity to win the QB job, it will be filled by a player too small to play the position at the FBS-level who sorely lacks arm strength.

Opposing defenses will simply shut down our run game early - if we even attempt one - and practically invite us to throw. With no real protection outside the undersized OL, defenses will again spend 2009 blitzing from all quarters. Look for gimmicky stuff as the season progresses and the losses mount, such is the hallmark of desperation.

While it is all collapsing in on itself, hope against all hope that the administration and board wake up and try to save it. It's doubtful that they will, but one can always hope.

I am also excited about this recruiting class. The way Dodge and company have come on at the end here has been great. If Dodge can recruit this well after the season we had, what could he be capable of if we have a great season? I am optimistic about improvement on the field this year, but not too optimistic.

The class, with very few exceptions, is filled with guys who had no other offers or offers only from lower divisions. That is concerning to all but the kool-aid drinkers, who at this point revel in any commitment whatsoever. It's easy to get commitments from guys with no other choices.

To see how badly we're being outrecruited, all you have to do is check the recruiting of any other FBS school in the state. Todd Dodge and his staff were whipped very early in the process and have been scraping along with JUCOs and guys with no offers or offers from even smaller divisions. It's a problem - not for Dodge, but for his ultimate replacement.

Sadly, Todd Dodge overestimated his ability to consistently reel in quality local and state recruits. He's had to shift the battle ground outside the state and has done so very late in the game. This is plain to anyone who can look up and down a list of top recruits and see where they went. It will never be plain to those who have tossed aside UNT in favor of defending Dodge.

The main cog, one of maybe two or three bona fide recruits from the first two classes, is gone - Giovanni Vizza. The top two receivers, neither of whom were brought on board by Dodge, are gone. Unless Nathan Tune really gets an opportunity to win the QB job, it will be filled by a player too small to play the position at the FBS-level who sorely lacks arm strength.

Opposing defenses will simply shut down our run game early - if we even attempt one - and practically invite us to throw. With no real protection outside the undersized OL, defenses will again spend 2009 blitzing from all quarters. Look for gimmicky stuff as the season progresses and the losses mount, such is the hallmark of desperation.

While it is all collapsing in on itself, hope against all hope that the administration and board wake up and try to save it. It's doubtful that they will, but one can always hope.

I don't agree with all you say here, but I do agree that with this recruiting class, we appear to be beating out other Sun Belt teams for recruits when last year, we were beating out teams from the Mountain West and CUSA. I think this does indicate a lesser quality recruiting class.

We will always have to find the diamond in the rough recruit. I just don't know if I trust Dodge's judgement on this issue at this point.

Most of my excitement was over the fact that you said you wouldn't be posting. Now you've ruined that.

It will never be plain to those who have tossed aside UNT in favor of defending Dodge.

Best line in the rant.

I agree with everything, except for the Riley Dodge statement...smaller have played and excelled at the D-1 level and I am interested if not excited to see what he can do, provided he wins the job legitimatly

Nice to see some positive comments about TD and the program's direction. Since the end of the 2008 season some very positive things have been happening:

1) Some coaching changes;

2) New strength and conditioning coach;

3) Some unhappy players and parents left the program (yes, that is very good news for the locker room);

4) GPA's are on the rise (scholarships lost could 'return");

5) New stadium gets the student approval and progress on the project begins to move forward; and

6) An excellent recruiting class is shaping up for 2009.

There are certainly other positives going into 2009, but did not want to give the "doom and gloom" crowd too much to think about and try to find ways to "diss" as they surly might. Yes, it is a tough time to be a UNT football fan, but just look...the Arizona Cardinals are in the Super Bowl. Who would have believed that? Not me. It will be great when the winning begins for UNT. But, it does take time to rebuild a program.

GO MEAN GREEN!

"He's running on fumes. Don't be too disappointed."

I wish Vito would get in here and throw some punches as well.

I heard TFFL IS Vito.

Imagine that - a news reporter using a GMG.com handle to take shots at people he doesn't like. That's just silly!

I agree. Last year's class was the best ever supposedly, and we went 1-11. I will once again be causiously optimistic until I see something different on the field.

The offense had one WR weapon on the entire team last season. The incredible Casey Fitzgerald. Other than that, we had scrubs out there.

TD recognized that and now went after some players. He did not do that for Gio but its amazing what he has done this off-season with his WR Juco prospect. This was a planned deal.

The offense had one WR weapon on the entire team last season. The incredible Casey Fitzgerald. Other than that, we had scrubs out there.

TD recognized that and now went after some players. He did not do that for Gio but its amazing what he has done this off-season with his WR Juco prospect. This was a planned deal.

Gio is that you??