Vizza

H-towngreen

While yes, I am sad to see Vizza go I am not as upset as some others. I don't think it's a great sign for the program under TD. But one does have to wonder what reasons were behind his move. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall with Rodge. Maybe he was tired of losing, who knows.

As far as on the field I know that Vizza will be missed for a few reasons. His leadership and competitivness/fire. He was not afraid to take on a LB head on to get the 1st down, thus earning the respect of his teamates. He had a great freshman season. But this season was less than stellar. I don't have the stats buy they weren't all that great. When I was able to see him this year, I was not once impressed. He seemed to be consistently inconsistent. Underthrowing, overthrowing, whatever. Maybe it was just a sophmore slump? I don't think that there are to many out there who can say that Vizza lived up to expectations this year.

I would still like to hear more about what yall all think about Vizza's on the field performence?

A great leader?

A record of 3-17 as a starter?

A QB who only managed 15 tds and threw 12?ints last season?

#5 all time passer at NT?

I'll give you my opinions of Vizza as a starter right after I'm done writing the monolithic posts I'll need to dedicate to offensive line play and vanilla play calling.

I'll give you my opinions of Vizza as a starter right after I'm done writing the monolithic posts I'll need to dedicate to offensive line play and vanilla play calling.

Fashion experts claim the 3rd and 8 bubble screen is the new 3rd and 8 draw.

Vizza did not have a sophomore slump:

-In 2007, his completion percentage was just over 58%; in 2008, it rose to just over 62%

-In 2007, he threw an interception every 19.1 attempts; in 2008, it decreased to one every 30.8 attempts.

-And, again, despite all of the sacks and quarterback pressures he took, he still managed positive rushing yards in both 2007 and 2008.

Again, the attempts to downplay Vizza's 2008 season are ridiculous. The poor 2008 season was the fualt of no one but the coaching staff. It's difficult to believe that a coaching staff could go through a sophomore slump after a 2-10 season, but this one found a way to do it.

The bottom line is, we lost a legitimate quarterback. The most experienced coach in the WAC offered this kid a scholarship. He had offers from the new coach at Air Force, who has the Falcons throwing more, and from Army.

Vizza was forced to play from behind because of a very bad defense. Despite that, his statistics improved. He will be a great get for the school he ultimately chooses.

Finally, the comment that keeps being thrown around about the defense winning the Western Kentucky game: give me a break. The defense gave up 40 points in that game. Vizza ran 7 times for 49 yards and a TD; he also threw for 214 yards and 4 TDs.

Our offense scored six touchdowns that day, with Vizza having a hand in five. Also, the defensive score came on the last play of the game. The ball was inside the one-yard line. WKU was within a ball hair of winning that game. It's not like the defense went out there and shoved the Hilltoppers around.

Vizza kept us in the game, leading us to the go ahead touchdown on a pass to Casey Fitzgerald with only 2:27 left in the game. We were already ahead when the final TD was scored on the interception. And, Vizza's gutty play is the reason we were ahead.

It was the defense that allowed WKU to get into position to score the winning points on the final play from point blank range. Giovanni Vizza wasn't on the field letting WKU drive the ball down inside the one for a possible win.

Again, the attempts to downplay Vizza's 2008 season are ridiculous. The poor 2008 season was the fualt of no one but the coaching staff. It's difficult to believe that a coaching staff could go through a sophomore slump after a 2-10 season, but this one found a way to do it.

Your drum needs a new lid, since you've banged a hole in it. Blah, blah, blah, Finchy, we get it after the 5,000th time. Dodge bad. Coaches bad. Players good but hamstrung 24-7 with bad coaching. Nothing was Vizza's fault. Every one of his 36 picks in two years were the fault of some outside force beyond his control. He beat WKU twice so he's a god. Look, I liked him as a QB, too, but he'll never be able to win anything with you hanging from his neck. I'm so relieved people like Mr. Vizza make sure you enlighten us daily.

Vomit.

While yes, I am sad to see Vizza go I am not as upset as some others. I don't think it's a great sign for the program under TD. But one does have to wonder what reasons were behind his move. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall with Rodge. Maybe he was tired of losing, who knows.

It is simple... The reason he transferred was because he was told by the staff that Riley would start come the fall. He wasn't willing to play second to anyone so he got out of Dodge. Pun intended.

This event doesn't make me mad at the coaching staff nor Vizza so much. The coaching staff can play who they want. Whether it was his fault or not... and I am leaning towards not... the simple truth is that we didn't win with the guy behind center. I don't mind a change in guard to see what happens. Maybe it will be the change that will save the program... maybe nothing will change at all. But, it is what it is and Vizza apparently would not settle being a back up.

Edited by Travis

It is simple... The reason he transferred was because he was told by the staff that Riley would start come the fall. He wasn't willing to play second to anyone so he got out of Dodge. Pun intended.

This event doesn't make me mad at the coaching staff nor Vizza so much. It is what it is and Vizza apparently would not be a back up to anybody.

What I don't get is why the staff would tell Vizza that. Why not let things sort themselves out in the spring, and if Riley outperforms Vizza, give him the nod?

This event doesn't make me mad at the coaching staff nor Vizza so much. It is what it is and Vizza apparently would not be a back up to anybody.

Pretty bold statement. Any facts to back this up?

Thanks flyeater.

Edited by UNTLifer

It sounds to me like Flyeater is just sick of Finch. Not sure why you'd applaud a post that doesn't touch on Finch's point.

And to say "you're source is pretty reliable" doesn't mean anything in terms of proof. As if I turned in reports to my professors with bibliographies quoting the following:

"No worries, Teacher. I'm all set."

My own sources have been kind enough to indulge some details that are contrary to what some people here are throwing around. I won't spell it out just because it doesn't settle anything. But my opinion of what has transpired has changed.

Best wishes to the kid and his dad.

Edited by greenminer

It sounds to me like Flyeater is just sick of Finch. Not sure why you'd applaud a post that doesn't touch on Finch's point.

And to say "you're source is pretty reliable" doesn't mean anything in terms of proof. As if I turned in reports to my professors with bibliographies quoting the following:

My own sources have been kind enough to indulge some details that are contrary to what some people here are throwing around. I won't spell it out just because it doesn't settle anything. But my opinion of what has transpired has changed.

You can't expect to throw scraps to us rabid wolfs and expect to walk away unscathed! What do you know!!! :lol:

There are several people that give info on here that they recieve but don't give their source because the source wishes to remain anonymous. If I were to break that then I wouldn't get any more info.

Now, it may or may not be completely true. But, the source is quite reliable to me and I will take what is said as truth.

You do realize that you are responding to various different people in your post, don't you? To read it, it sounds like you're responding to one person.